Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Living in London

robbied69

Sep 20, 2005
North London
Islington, I'm born and bred there. Fantastic place to live. If anyone tries to say Hackney or Finsbury Park are nice areas don't listen they're lying.

virgirlo

Jun 2, 2004
London
Hackney and Finsbury Park are fantastic places to live. You are so close to islington, the city and west end without having to pay the premium. Plus both areas are currently going through NRF funding so will be absolutely gorgeous in a couple of years!!

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
virgirlo said:
Hackney and Finsbury Park are fantastic places to live. You are so close to islington, the city and west end without having to pay the premium. Plus both areas are currently going through NRF funding so will be absolutely gorgeous in a couple of years!!

Yeah yeah yeah ;)

vauxhallexile

Jul 31, 2003
clapham_gull said:
I say sir !!

I live in Clapham, walk to Stockwell and within 10 minutes your at Oxford Circus, 20 your in Euston

:lolol: :lolol:

Quite right too. I have a 15 minute walk to work (just north of the river) from the Oval (just south of the river)......easy tube connnections and far easier than some remote North London suburb, you may as well live in Brighton if you're going to be that far out!!!

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
I've lived all over London. In the north: Camden, Kentish Town, East Finchley; in the east: Forest Gate, Stratford; in the west: Ealing; and in the south east (where I am now): Plumstead, near Woolwich.

All have been very different, with pros and cons. Plumstead, where I am now, is lovely and very very cheap, two-bed houses with gardens for £150K. Travel is a pain cos there's no tube, but the mainline into London Bridge and Charing X and Cannon St is pretty good and they're extending the DLR to Woolwich atm. They're also planning a hefty bridge over the Thames to Beckton in East London. The big downer here is there's no night life, unless you bus / train it to Blackheath or Greenwich. But central london's only 25 mins away, so you can still have a night out there. I drove to Brixton last night for the LCD gig and it only took half an hour door to door.

I loved Camden and Kentish Town, but couldn't afford it, so moved out East and had a fantastic four years there (hence the username). The Central Line into town was a God-send, if jam-packed all the time!

West London was ok, but a bit too 'rah' for me, tbh.

virgirlo

Jun 2, 2004
London
robbied69 said:
lol, i never go any further east than dalston, and further north than Finsbury Pk. Central and West London are the places to look at.

sounds like you have no life at all...there are other places to go apart from islington!!:glare:

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
garry nelsons left foot said:
I lived in 'West' London- Hayes to be exact. It was SHIT.

Hayes was always classed as SHIT when we lived near there. 11 years later its now classed as a no go zone! :lolol:

robbied69

Sep 20, 2005
North London
virgirlo said:
sounds like you have no life at all...there are other places to go apart from islington!!:glare:

cheeky mare. In all fairness, I love Islington because it is really easy to get to all the major locations. I've never had any trouble there and the people are great. Anyway, who knows when I change job I may have to up sticks out of London.

I live in Borough (south London) and love it. You have Borough market, Bankside and the Tate Modern, loads of restaurants/bars and decent pubs (The Royal Oak, seagulls over London pub), I can walk to work in the city and most importantly London Bridge station for a direct link to Preston Park. :thumbsup:

robbied69 said:
lol, i never go any further east than dalston, and further north than Finsbury Pk. Central and West London are the places to look at.

What?

I agree with Virgirlio on this one.

Because of my field of work I tend to know most of the bad and good areas of London. And they are every where. EG Right in the East end, around Mile End, most punters would say it is crap.

But it has stacks of georgian and victorian housing, great pubs (Fullers and Youngs) adjacent to Victoria Park, Mile End Park, the Lee Valley etc. Best curries in Britain on your door step.

As I have said before London offers you everything, you must decide what you want.

parks

Jan 17, 2004
East Sussex
I lived in Wandsworth for 18 years, depending how old you are, and despite people saying North is better, its fine but not for going to watch B & HA play, I would look at Balham/Clapham. Good restaurants/bars on the Northern Line, mainlin stations also, close to the A3 and thus not bad for going south. Lively and loads of quality property.

virgirlo

Jun 2, 2004
London
London Calling said:
What?

I agree with Virgirlio on this one.

Because of my field of work I tend to know most of the bad and good areas of London. And they are every where. EG Right in the East end, around Mile End, most punters would say it is crap.

But it has stacks of georgian and victorian housing, great pubs (Fullers and Youngs) adjacent to Victoria Park, Mile End Park, the Lee Valley etc. Best curries in Britain on your door step.

As I have said before London offers you everything, you must decide what you want.

:clap2:

totally agree. london is there for the taking. i love finding new places and having mystery sundays. it has so much and i really pity the people who think london is just the west end or islington!! and that is usually coming from people who have lived in london all there lives.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
clapham_gull said:
I say sir !!

I live in Clapham, walk to Stockwell and within 10 minutes your at Oxford Circus, 20 your in Euston

:lolol: :lolol:

And within easy reach of the Albion's home in London - the Royal Oak in Tabard Street, SE1, with the best pint of Harvey's in London. Seriously, I would have a look around SE1, so long as you avoid the bit right by the river, which is only within the reach of top city whizz-kids. There has been a lot of building in recent years, so the rent prices should have gone down. You could alternatively have a look at SE11, Kennington, which has a lot more green space (in Kennington Park), or Clapham Common. An old colleague of mine moved there from Islington in May and she loves it.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
Lokki 7 said:
I live in Borough (south London) and love it. You have Borough market, Bankside and the Tate Modern, loads of restaurants/bars and decent pubs (The Royal Oak, seagulls over London pub), I can walk to work in the city and most importantly London Bridge station for a direct link to Preston Park. :thumbsup:

Borough has become very cool, especially since the Jubilee line was finished. I worked in the Hop Exchange in Southwark Street for many years.

When I go back to work in the City ( early next year...fingers crossed ) my plan is to get a weekday flat in the area.

You can walk to work in the City over one of the bridges in 5/10 minutes but also get a train back to Brighton anytime from London Bridge.

Then there is also the Market Porter, which is one of my favourite locals in London.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here