Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Living in London

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Hope your wages will be good as Londinium is very expensive.

Sure Dwayne will help on the social requirements :lolol:

Tips from LC.

Few people up north know bollocks about the south and vice-versa.

I'm t'north in the east end and I love it.

South of the river is not necessarily the quickest way to Brighton.

The Thameslink service goes right through London and their is a 15 min service on Sat.

Islington is great and expensive.

A top tip is to move out to Zones 3 possibly 4 as long they have a good tube link straight into the centre. Eg Walthamstow is zone 3, half the price of Islington, but only 10 mins away by tube and only 30 mins from Oxford Street.

But W'stow has a relatively crap night life.

Personally I would aim one stop up from some where good/trendy, it be cheaper have more local pubs and your probably only a 20 min walk away.

If you are interested in the East and north London, I and others can probably give you some more specific tips.

:drink:

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Sneaky George said:
I must take issue you with Barnet. Whilst I'm not going slag the "north" off, I've lived South of the river the past 14 years and it enjoyed living there. It has a lot going for it. Cheaper thern its " northern" counterpart, nearer to Brighton, good transport links and plenty of places to eat, drink and go out to. And there are plenty of park and even trees in South London.

Well if you won't, then i will..

It's the scummy and dirty bit of London that everyone who lives outside London (and 90% of NSC) perceives the whole of London to be like....

I lived in Tufnell Park (N19) for 3 years and whilst there was OK, lots of places like Stonebridge, Wemberly, Tottenham, pretty much all of Harringay and PARTICUALY Barnet are just rotting dumps..you can smell north london..eurchhh..

Sarf of the water mate, thats where it's at :thumbsup:
As mentioned - More parks for footie and tennis, cleaner streets, nearer BTN..it's all good.

I live in Herne Hill, near Brixton, which is FAB, but if your new to London and renting, and want Birds, Booze, restaurants, and parks, you can't beat Clapham Junction or Balham.

And the best bit..You get to join us lot in the Sports Cafe for each live game..!!

Good luck

Seagull Stew

If you want North of the river go for Angel / Islington. You'll never need to cook for yourself again!

South of the River, Waterloo is good for good links but you might be put off by the beggers everywhere so maybe head for Canada Water. Despite being Bermondsey, it's a nice place.

Dandyman

In London village.
Simster said:
Course it does Dan, you have to realise that Barntit Seaweed is a muppet.

What you've got to remember is that south of the river may be more sophisticated, have better community spirit, is closer to Brighton and is far less sprawling than the north, but obviously north of the Thames has better kebab shops.

N8 does indeed have a wonderful selection of kebab shops. Not sure what community spirit the Fulhamites that have spread through "Batercia" and "Claam" over the last 10 tens years or so exhibit.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I was lucky enough to choose to live in Clapham - I've always wanted to live here since coming down for the first time in my early twenties. Having to work in Camden (NW1) which is the biggest dump on the planet - I love coming down the Victoria line back south.

.. and very handy for Brighton. I can get to Victoria in 15 mins, or London bridge in about 20 mins and there's always Clapham Junction.

Very handy for Gatwick if you're going on holiday too. 30 mins from Clapham Junction.

Clapham probably expensive to rent these days, but I would as others above recommend Balham ( just in Zone 3 though ) - great place. Was out there on Friday night after doing the Old Town in Clapham - another great place to drink.

As for South London being a dump - I suggest you take a walk round the common or Battersea park or Northcote Road in the Junction.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Dandyman said:
N8 does indeed have a wonderful selection of kebab shops. Not sure what community spirit the Fulhamites that have spread through "Batercia" and "Claam" over the last 10 tens years or so exhibit.

OI !
:lolol:

Dandyman

In London village.

Stumpy Tim

I was a North London boy myself, so couldn't possibly comment on the scumbags who live south of the river. But you can't beat areas like Crouch End, Muswell Hill, Highgate Village & Hampstead. If links to Brighton are important to you then I would recommend West Hampstead. Direct train to Brighton, reasonably priced, near Hampstead & Highgate Village. And reasonably priced too (for London anyway)

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
dwayne said:
Earls Court is good value, lovely central location and loads to do around there and cheap(ish) for the area

Yeah if you like the aussie culture !

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
garry nelsons left foot said:
I lived in 'West' London- Hayes to be exact. It was SHIT.

Hayes is pretty much west OF London, in fairness.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Stumpy Tim said:
I was a North London boy myself, so couldn't possibly comment on the scumbags who live south of the river. But you can't beat areas like Crouch End, Muswell Hill, Highgate Village & Hampstead. If links to Brighton are important to you then I would recommend West Hampstead. Direct train to Brighton, reasonably priced, near Hampstead & Highgate Village. And reasonably priced too (for London anyway)

Crouch End ! Overrated and BADLY served by public transport.

I however have 4 TUBE STATIONS within walking distance.

You can get to Brighton from Victoria is less than an hour.

Scumbags :lolol: , rather be one than a Camden Town Crackhead

Last edited:

D

Deleted User X18H

Why move to London just commute and reside in the envy of Britain............. BRIGHTON AND HOVE!!!!!!!!!!!

Dandyman

In London village.
clapham_gull said:

Scumbags :lolol: , rather be one than a Camden Town Crackhead

OI ! :lolol:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
dwayne said:
Earls Court is good value, lovely central location and loads to do around there and cheap(ish) for the area

and you will never be short of eastern european female company........or so I 've heard...ahem.....:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here