Living in London

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Highfields Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Bullock Smithy
Hi all,

I'm possibly moving to London at some point in the New Year.

If I did I'd be working fairly central near tube stations on the Victoria, District and Jubilee lines.

Do any of you good folks who know London have any tips on where might be a good place to live? Ideally I'd like to not be further out than Zone 2, though this isn't a definite condition.

Any hints greatly appreciated.

HS

How much you are willing to pay?

Social life?

Cultural interests?

Do you like it rough and ready?

Sounds like my best chat up line:lolol:

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Top tips - don't go south of the river.

Try to live somewhere where you don't have to change tubes (even if a bit further out)

If you want Victoria line - you could do a lot worse than Highbury/Islington

Last edited:

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
I would consider the seaside if I were you!

:clap:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Brighton it is. :clap2:

Highfields Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Bullock Smithy
London Calling said:
How much you are willing to pay?

Social life?

Cultural interests?

Do you like it rough and ready?

Sounds like my best chat up line:lolol:

Don't know how much yet. I'm certainly not minted but I'm a few years past dodgy student digs.

I'd be looking to get myself into a nice-ish house share somewhere.

I'd quite like somewhere near some decent pubs and restaurants.

Brighton is an idea, but at the moment I quite fancy living in London for a bit.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Earls Court is good value, lovely central location and loads to do around there and cheap(ish) for the area

Last edited:

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Barnet Seagull said:

Try to live somewhere where you don't have to change tubes (even if a bit further out)

I must take issue you with Barnet. Whilst I'm not going slag the "north" off, I've lived South of the river the past 14 years and it enjoyed living there. It has a lot going for it. Cheaper thern its " northern" counterpart, nearer to Brighton, good transport links and plenty of places to eat, drink and go out to. And there are plenty of park and even trees in South London.

Faldo

Jul 7, 2003
I couldnt afford anything closer in than zone 5... depends if your renting I spose. If renting, the world is your oyster, and my favourite areas just outside zone 1 (that would be affordable) are Finchley, ealing, Earls Court, Clapham and probably more I cant think of.

If your buying, and plan in spending less than £300k - you will need to step a bit further out.

Parts of East London are not a bad bet with the olympics on there way - some of the areas are shee-ite, but Woodford, Chingford and the like will benefit.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Barnet Seagull said:

I say sir !!

I live in Clapham, walk to Stockwell and within 10 minutes your at Oxford Circus, 20 your in Euston

:lolol: :lolol:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Brixton is Zone 2, just one down from Stockwell - 10/15 mins into central London.

Last edited:

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
SOUTH OF THE RIVER RULES!!!!!!

Balham is a very good bet for cheapish accomodation and lively social scene/nightlife.

Clapham and Putney are also good.

Depends on budget really

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Course it does Dan, you have to realise that Barntit Seaweed is a muppet.

What you've got to remember is that south of the river may be more sophisticated, have better community spirit, is closer to Brighton and is far less sprawling than the north, but obviously north of the Thames has better kebab shops.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Simster said:
Course it does Dan, you have to realise that Barntit Seaweed is a muppet.

What you've got to remember is that south of the river may be more sophisticated, have better community spirit, is closer to Brighton and is far less sprawling than the north, but obviously north of the Thames has better kebab shops.

hang on not all locations North of the river are considered "North" London

For train links to Brighton
community spirit
sophistication
and fit birds

Kensington is the place to be Daddyo

Last edited:

bailey

Sep 24, 2005
Seafront Brighton
Barnet Seagull said:

I lived in the area for about 4 years and had a great time. Islington itself is expensive but you can get a decent place to live in the surrounding areas. Islington is a great place to go out and you can get into central London really easily.

I've been back in Brighton for nearly 5 years now and wouldn't want to move out again but I did have a great time in London and am glad I did it.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Balham's pretty good, not too expensive, lots of pubs and bars, near Tooting's great curry houses and you can be in Brighton within an hour if you get your connections right.

You might bump into Wozza though. :jester:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports