Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Lewis Dunk to Chelsea? EDIT: New 5 Year Deal Signed

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I don’t respond to much on hear. I like reading people’s thoughts. But I have to say Spence, whenever you write anything I always think what a load of shit this person writes. This comment is another example.

[MENTION=30242]spence[/MENTION] just likes to be controversial - Dunk is definitely good enough for a Top 4 side - He might get found out a bit in CL matches but he is no worse than some of the players that the Top 4 already have in their sides currently - With the Exception of Americ Laporte and Virgil Van Dyke - Apart from them, he is as good as the others

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
BDB is the closest. If we could get Loftus-Cheek and/or Batshuayi in the deal that would solve a few problems. And annoy Palace.

Are you mad? I think you'll find that Loftus-Cheek and Batshuayi are Palace's players they have loaned to Chelsea.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Just been discussing this, away from NSC:

Don't get me wrong - we would still miss him very badly - but for the first time, with Veltman signing, Webster settling down, and White to come in, I feel that we MIGHT be okay without him.

Veltman , Clark , Webster , white , burn, Duffy .
That would be the envy of any bottom third club .

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Dunk's loss would be far bigger than the centre-back hole he leaves. No idea why it's a time for change for us - absolutely none.

Not sure why so many think Clarke and White will be OK in this division. We have no evidence of that yet. I'm sure they will be - eventually. But on day one?

Standing in Dunk’s way if he wants to go to Chelsea and the price is right is a very good reason for change imo. We have known this would happen eventually for a while now. Gutted to lose him but he’d go with my thanks and best wishes. Holding him back would be very wrong imo.

Problem is I would have an interest in how Chelsea get on, I don’t and haven’t ever liked them :down:

I also think that Duffy might stay if Dunk goes.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
But of course we'll need a whopping great fee or Abraham plus some cash.

And that's where I'd like to think this deal won't happen. He will be 29 in October and I'm not sure Chelsea will meet the valuation we will put on him knowing he's our best player. Despite no premier experience, I think there's way more chance that one of the big 6 may take a punt on White for an offer we can't refuse. Albion and Leeds upset :(

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Kind of amazing you can be born in the area and play for and captain the local team and not be a fan in the process!?

I agree, bizarre, especially as we are now PL

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Losing Dunk would be an enormous blow, there’s no point even trying to sugar coat it, he’s our best player, leader & captain and is worth immeasurably more to us than he would be to any other team, I would understand him wanting the move and I wouldn’t begrudge him it but let’s not pretend this wouldn’t be devastating blow.

Webster has improved dramatically with Dunk alongside
White is totally unproven, regardless of how good his Championship season was.
Duffy looks like he’s on his way out
Veltman is a good signing but again, no experience in this league.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Standing in Dunk’s way if he wants to go to Chelsea and the price is right is a very good reason for change imo. We have known this would happen eventually for a while now. Gutted to lose him but he’d go with my thanks and best wishes. Holding him back would be very wrong imo.

Problem is I would have an interest in how Chelsea get on, I don’t and haven’t ever liked them :down:

This seeks to assume that Dunk WANTS to leave. So does he?

He also - of all people who would know - fully understands Tony Bloom's consideration of what 'Not For Sale' means. In that regard, Lewis Dunk is a professional, a not a Palace-rejected, toy-throwing pram inhabitant.

Tony will only sell if he feels it benefits the club to sell, not if it benefits Lewis Dunk.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Dunk's loss would be far bigger than the centre-back hole he leaves. No idea why it's a time for change for us - absolutely none.

Not sure why so many think Clarke and White will be OK in this division. We have no evidence of that yet. I'm sure they will be - eventually. But on day one?

Sometimes it is just time to change things round, to refresh things. Maybe this is the time; or maybe Potter thinks it's time. I'm not ITK of course - that's why I'm sticking with "maybe".
Dunk and Duffy had no (or in Duffy's case, virtually none) PL experience on day one; they did pretty well as far as I remember.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

He also - of all people who would know - fully understands Tony Bloom's consideration of what 'Not For Sale' means. In that regard, Lewis Dunk is a professional, a not a Palace-rejected, toy-throwing pram inhabitant.

Tony will only sell if he feels it benefits the club to sell, not if it benefits Lewis Dunk.

My comments were based entirely on Dunk actually wanting to leave. If he doesn’t I really doubt he will.

I get the feeling that the challenge and wage packet would very easily swing him though. Again assuming Chelsea do want him and are willing to pay top dollar. No bargains going on here.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Swansman is right they need some home grown players. They only named 5 HGPs in their squad after the January transfer window. They only named 22 players in total as they had reached the limit on number of non HGPs they could have in the squad.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1603207

I think Mount will be counted as HGP next season but they are still short.

As an aside, whilst looking into this, I discovered Kurt Zouma's middle name is "Happy".

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005

Dunk is off! trust me

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Sometimes it is just time to change things round, to refresh things. Maybe this is the time; or maybe Potter thinks it's time. I'm not ITK of course - that's why I'm sticking with "maybe".

'Maybe' - of course. But it would make absolutely no sense for the club nor Potter to want to offload Dunk - the club captain, and one of the best players this club has seen - in his prime to 'refresh' things. Refresh what?

Dunk and Duffy had no (or in Duffy's case, virtually none) PL experience on day one; they did pretty well as far as I remember.

They did OK eventually. Best noted for blocks rather than their now improved positional defending.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Losing Dunk would be an enormous blow, there’s no point even trying to sugar coat it, he’s our best player, leader & captain and is worth immeasurably more to us than he would be to any other team, I would understand him wanting the move and I wouldn’t begrudge him it but let’s not pretend this wouldn’t be devastating blow.

Webster has improved dramatically with Dunk alongside
White is totally unproven, regardless of how good his Championship season was.
Duffy looks like he’s on his way out
Veltman is a good signing but again, no experience in this league.

A point which does need re-iterating.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
So it was me that posted the tweet, so hopefully that dispels the rumour that it’s entirely made up BS. I’d like to think I have some small amount of credibility still :kiss:

I rarely, if ever, post anything that doesn’t have some decent substance to it, but I have been burned with false info once before (about 2 years or so ago) and frankly it’s embarrassing to get it wrong. To this end I was hesitant about tweeting something without revealing a source. Fact is I just won’t reveal the source as it’s not fair to the person who told me, who is very close to the circs.
In actuality, they were the third person who told me there was something in it, but I resisted the temptation to tweet for the first two.

Really hope it’s not going to happen but I understand that enquires were made in Jan but shelved until both clubs season’s had been completed.

Time will tell.

I almost wish I hadn’t tweeted it as my phone’s been buzzing like a good’un all day with Twitter notifications. :shootself

Would have been well funny if you just popped up and said “just kidding!”

MTSeagulls

Sep 18, 2019

Any idea on when he's due a testimonial?

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I've no doubt there is substance to this rumour and that Chelsea made enquiries in Jan.
So, he may go but I can't believe it would be for anything less than £40m.
Two things that may stand in the way of it. Chelsea may have been interested in Dunk at say £40m but I doubt there's an agreement at a price set in Jan. So, Chelsea may now see more value elsewhere or not be prepared to meet our asking price post Covid.
Secondly, and I think this is unlikely, Lewis may actually like being a big fish in a smaller pond on £80k per week (Guesswork) re wages) nice and settled at BHA. When push comes to shove we turn to Lewis and say that Chelsea have met our asking price, do you want to go? It's unlikely he'd stay but possible.
If he does go it will be for plenty of dosh and we can use that elsewhere on a striker. It will leave a big hole, but actually this is the time and us recruiting in Veltman and a returning White would all add up.
So, it would be a massive shame to see him go but financially, at his age, it would make sense. Dunk out, £40m in. White in for no transfer cost, Veltman in for £900k.
I'd be very sad to see him go but the one consolation would be the utter despair in West Yorkshire.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here