Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Lewis Dunk to Chelsea? EDIT: New 5 Year Deal Signed

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Lewis Dunk to Chelsea ...............

Just been discussing this, away from NSC:

Don't get me wrong - we would still miss him very badly - but for the first time, with Veltman signing, Webster settling down, and White to come in, I feel that we MIGHT be okay without him.

Watch Wayne Rooney’s Derby County’s player of the season highlights vid and add Clarke to your list. Left footed too!

https://youtu.be/D1WwvHLXR3E

Last edited:

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
He is about 5 years younger though - They could get a good 5 years out of Nathan Ake and then still sell him on at a profit

So Lewis Dunk is worth less than Ake because of his age(fair point) But in 5 years time Ake will be older than Dunk is now but worth more than £41m ?

Ok

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
He is about 5 years younger though - They could get a good 5 years out of Nathan Ake and then still sell him on at a profit. Also - Chelsea won't be prepared to pay what Man City pay

Ake is only three years younger than Dunk. Dunk is also 5 inches taller, and English.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
So Lewis Dunk is worth less than Ake because of his age(fair point) But in 5 years time Ake will be older than Dunk is now but worth more than £41m ?

Ok

I don't say that with any certainty - It would depend on his performances at Man City obviously but if he does well and Man City and they win Champions League in thit time then yes he could well do. By contrast he could bomb at City and be kicked out the door in a couple of seasons

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Chelsea won't pay £40m for him

And much as I think Dunky is a superb player. I don't think anyone would pay that for him.

It will actually be interesting to see how Covid-19 and it's impact around the World whether it drives Transfer Fees down a bit or not. If it does then you are looking at £25m - If it doesn't affect them then I think you are looking at £30m - £35m

We don't know for sure if it is a valid interest from Chelsea but if it is then the fact that Dunk himself would be keen then that gives Chelsea a good negotiating platform. They know they could get other top Defenders from around the World for £30m plus - They would just look elsewhere.

No, they cant, they need HGP - and every other club know it and wont sell for less than fat dirty money. I think the £40m is quite likely.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Well at least some Chelsea fan on Twatter knows what they would be getting:

“Imagine prime Gary Cahill. Upgrade him in every department. That's Lewis Dunk.”

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Good point, although I'm not sure Dale "beer and a rolly" Stephens is captain material. Ryan is, I would agree and possibly Veltman. But Lallana is the one who jumps out as obvious.

I envisage Murray would be ‘club captain’ with Lallana as deputy captain wearing the armband most match days.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
No, they cant, they need HGP - and every other club know it and wont sell for less than fat dirty money. I think the £40m is quite likely.

Chelsea are one of the sides with the most HGP in their squad at the moment anyhow

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
He is about 5 years younger though - They could get a good 5 years out of Nathan Ake and then still sell him on at a profit. Also - Chelsea won't be prepared to pay what Man City pay

Yea they could get 5 years of might get better soon but not there yet. Ake is probably worth more than 41m that was just the buyout total for his contract. City can just afford to leave a CB on the bench if he doesnt cut the mustard, see Stones.

It is going to be funny when Chelsea realise they cant afford Dunk. I see a lot of people saying they wont pay more than 30m, well then you wont get him then. It isnt a Black Friday sale. It is up to them to persuade Tony to sell and it be worth it to us at the price they offer. Bearing in mind we paid 25m for Webster and hearing that Chelsea cant afford to stump up 10m more than we paid for him.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Yes, I’d be really disappointed at anything less than £35m, and would be delighted at £45m+

Worth remembering that Ake doesn't have a relegation release clause in his contract (Telegraph in Jan) but that Chelsea have a £40 million buy back clause in his contract. £41 million is a fee to negate Chelsea's clause.

Hard to compare the two situations and therefore transfer fees. I do however think that we won't see the heights of Maguire's fee for a while and around you are absolutely right in your valuation. It would mean the club make a healthy profit this year despite the horrific financial impact of coronavirus.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Chelsea are one of the sides with the most HGP in their squad at the moment anyhow

Swansman is right they need some home grown players. They only named 5 HGPs in their squad after the January transfer window. They only named 22 players in total as they had reached the limit on number of non HGPs they could have in the squad.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1603207

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Lewis is a better defender and far more consistent than Rudiger, Christensen and Zouma. Each have regressed, not helped by playing in front of the awful £72m Kepa.

Imho he’d definitely reduce the the huge number of goals they concede, many at set pieces apparently.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
Worth remembering that Ake doesn't have a relegation release clause in his contract (Telegraph in Jan) but that Chelsea have a £40 million buy back clause in his contract. £41 million is a fee to negate Chelsea's clause.

Hard to compare the two situations and therefore transfer fees. I do however think that we won't see the heights of Maguire's fee for a while and around you are absolutely right in your valuation. It would mean the club make a healthy profit this year despite the horrific financial impact of coronavirus.

I did read about the buy back clause somewhere last week but the feeling was that Chelsea were looking for a John Terry put your body on the line type defender, rather than Ake who was felt a bit lightweight. If there is any truth in that at all, Dunk will be at the top of their list surely.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here