Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Levi Colwill

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I'm intrigued by why you think we do want to sell Caicedo...?

Is he a trouble maker behind the scenes....or maybe his agents are ...?

You being who you are.....'sometimes' have more info than you let on.

Tell us more......
My opinion is that we operate by buying cheap and hoping to make big profits. It stands to reason that we want to sell for a large price. I happen to think that large price will still be available in 1 year's time but if it arrives this summer I expect we'll take it.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm intrigued by why you think we do want to sell Caicedo...?

Is he a trouble maker behind the scenes....or maybe his agents are ...?

You being who you are.....'sometimes' have more info than you let on.

Tell us more......
Want is probably the wrong word...

I think we expected to sell him this summer and have planned to sell him this summer. RDZ's thoughts for the season ahead and our recruitment strategy will have been constructed around us no longer having Moises Caicedo, and also having a lot of Caicedo-derived cash to play with.

I think we let him know in January that the summer would be a time he could move on, subject to an acceptable fee etc, and we will be working to keep our word.

I guess in January we absolutely didn't want to sell him, now we absolutely don't not want to sell him. if that makes sense.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
If we were definitely going to sell him this summer, then I don't understand why we would offer him a new contract in March when he'd have still had 2 years left on his existing deal and presumably at a much lower wage.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
If we were definitely going to sell him this summer, then I don't understand why we would offer him a new contract in March when he'd have still had 2 years left on his existing deal and presumably at a much lower wage.
I reckon it was a sop to him to stop him throwing his toys out of the pram and derailing our push for Europe (which it certainly would have done - we had no comparable cover and no time to find any). The message in Jan was ‘not for sale (at any price)’. I suspect we did indeed tell him he could go in the summer if the right offer came in as part of getting that new contract signed - if his agent was any good (we already know he isn’t) he would have got a suitable clause inserted.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
To end the strop he was in?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I reckon it was a sop to him to stop him throwing his toys out of the pram and derailing our push for Europe (which it certainly would have done - we had no comparable cover and no time to find any). The message in Jan was ‘not for sale (at any price)’. I suspect we did indeed tell him he could go in the summer if the right offer came in as part of getting that new contract signed - if his agent was any good (we already know he isn’t) he would have got a suitable clause inserted.
We know there is no buy out figure, but he may have other mechanisms that help him to either get a move or be well rewarded for holding out for a fat fee.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
This makes sense. Although he didn't sign the new deal until March and from memory was just as good as usual throughout Feb. It also wouldn't really make sense for him to accept a 2 year extension if there really was a firm promise to sell him this summer, but whatever.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Keep him happy and also I imagine his agent would have driven for this as an increased deal insures him (partly) against injury and any future big deal falling through because of this. A sensible move all round.

Heart and Soul

Jul 7, 2023
This makes sense. Although he didn't sign the new deal until March and from memory was just as good as usual throughout Feb. It also wouldn't really make sense for him to accept a 2 year extension if there really was a firm promise to sell him this summer, but whatever.
Once Caicedo put that thing on his Instagram, Tony Bloom knew that his representatives were complete amateurs and that he could f*** them over by raising his wages a little bit while getting rid of the risk that he would walk for free eventually.
As I see it, Caicedo was tricked into this new deal... and it is no more than he deserves after that "farewell" stuff on Instagram.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It would be quite amusing if a Caicedo flounce was met with a Colwill counter-flounce. :flounce:
I don’t know what happened to my previous reply.
Levi Colwill is refusing to sign his new contract and only has one, (or is it two) year(s) left.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Once Caicedo put that thing on his Instagram, Tony Bloom knew that his representatives were complete amateurs and that he could f*** them over by raising his wages a little bit while getting rid of the risk that he would walk for free eventually.
As I see it, Caicedo was tricked into this new deal... and it is no more than he deserves after that "farewell" stuff on Instagram.
I know what you mean, but hey, wouldn't it be nice to be tricked into signing a contract that earnt you a guaranteed 4m a year for the next 4.5 years, even if you got a career ending injury!

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I don’t know what happened to my previous reply.
Levi Colwill is refusing to sign his new contract and only has one, (or is it two) year(s) left.
I think he has 2 years left. If I were him I would refuse now, put pressure on Chelsea to play him or let him go, if he is getting games he may want to stay and sign a new contract in January. If not, Poch will have had his chance to look at him, and Chelsea may be more willing to let him go for a fee, aware that bids will likely decrease in size once into his last year of contract.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Want is probably the wrong word...

I think we expected to sell him this summer and have planned to sell him this summer. RDZ's thoughts for the season ahead and our recruitment strategy will have been constructed around us no longer having Moises Caicedo, and also having a lot of Caicedo-derived cash to play with.

I think we let him know in January that the summer would be a time he could move on, subject to an acceptable fee etc, and we will be working to keep our word.

I guess in January we absolutely didn't want to sell him, now we absolutely don't not want to sell him. if that makes sense.
I think that is all quite correct. However, I would hope that we don't deviate too much from our planned targets as even if Moises ends up staying (a very remote possibility imo) he isn't going to depreciate in value for another season with us. He might even be worth more. Luckily we have a chairman who understands 'value' better than anyone.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think he has 2 years left. If I were him I would refuse now, put pressure on Chelsea to play him or let him go, if he is getting games he may want to stay and sign a new contract in January. If not, Poch will have had his chance to look at him, and Chelsea may be more willing to let him go for a fee, aware that bids will likely decrease in size once into his last year of contract.
I agree. I am also aware, Colwill wants to play for De Zerbi, rather than Brighton, so if he moves, then so does Levi's wish to leave Chelsea.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
They're still well short of CBs. You can easily argue Dunk, Webster, Veltman, JP and maybe Igor Julio is way more strength in depth (Colwill actually said our CBs are equal to anything Chelsea have). I don't think he wants to be there full stop, will make that clear and then we will just have to see what Chelsea's stance is. Very clear he'll want the move to Liverpool if they're genuinely interested - he and family all big Liverpool fans.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
They're still well short of CBs. You can easily argue Dunk, Webster, Veltman, JP and maybe Igor Julio is way more strength in depth (Colwill actually said our CBs are equal to anything Chelsea have). I don't think he wants to be there full stop, will make that clear and then we will just have to see what Chelsea's stance is. Very clear he'll want the move to Liverpool if they're genuinely interested - he and family all big Liverpool fans.
They’re West Ham fans

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Chelsea in the market for another CB interesting to see what Colwill makes of it

Wouldn't it be utterly hilarious if Chelsea sold Colwill to us and bought in Guehi from Palace? Brighton get an amazing player, Chelsea buy back their own player for a sizeable fee and Palace are left with a bundle of cash and no-one on which to spend it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here