Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

lets hope these results don't keep papering over the cracks.

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
Blinkered beyond belief, we played shit simple as that, we are playing way below what we are capable off and I'm delighted we are still in with a shout but don't kid yourselves we are ****ing crap at the moment.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Miles better than last week against Watford. Ince, March and New Dave added a lot today and we were more attacking - we seriously need to start finishing our chances though.

Some people are never satisfied - as long as we win win games whilst threatening the opposition - im happy.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Blinkered beyond belief, we played shit simple as that, we are playing way below what we are capable off and I'm delighted we are still in with a shout but don't kid yourselves we are ****ing crap at the moment.

True: We're playing below what we are capable of, but False: We're crap at the moment. Some of our football was delightful - but some was frustrating - esp in the final 5 - 10 mins, when we struggled to retain possession. But the likes of Bruno, Orlandi, March, Kaz, Ince, Ward all had really decent games, with some very nice touches. Ulloa took his goal very well, too. When teams come to the Amex and play ultra defensively, and time-waste from about the half hour mark, it ain't easy.

Buck

Through & Through
Feb 18, 2009
Not Lewes Any More

Harsh. We're not great, but we're certainly not s**t., and I do moan a lot!! :smile:

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

Have to agree with this but only after the 1st 20-mins.... we desperately need a creative midfielder as we seemed to lose our way somewhat passing backwards and then sitting back 2nd half once we scored (why do we always do that it invites trouble) . Sharp missed a sitter as did Ulloa just hope his goal gives him the spur to get better

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Its so obvious we need to get 2 players up front...

This is possibly one of the most dullest teams to watch I have seen. once in 7 games at home have we have scored more than 2 goals and twice in the last 14 games total.

Keep pretending everything is ok by winning 1-0 and all will be fine...

The tactics and team was right, the players were disappointing first half. Kaz upped the tempo and bang we're all over them.
That said, Donny were the worst team I've seen at the Amex.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I don't think getting our first win (and first goal) for four games means everything is fine and dandy, and I don't think a scraped win means we can't look at where the team (still) needs to improve.

Yes, Doncaster are on a good run defensively speaking (and seeing their defensive performance, you can see why), but we also made some mistakes ourselves, the sort of mistakes that better teams who are also fighting, but for play offs/automatic promotion and so fighting desperately with a greater skill level to back them up, will be more likely to capitalise on.

Doncaster had a couple of good chances, a team with a free scoring forward on form would bury, and we'd be behind.

We continue to fritter away lots of opportunities. Some of the chance lost due to finishing, some because we don't have enough people pushing forward in attack to support Ulloa (something we were better at today, imo), some because when those players have pushed forward, they all make the same run (several times today too many people tried to get to the goal line and no one hung back for the pull back).

Yeah, we scraped a win, we won't do that too frequently with the performance we put in today (over all any way - first half hour or so was good, but we seemed to drop off after that).

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
We wasn't very good today i admit. Pretty dull in fact. Donny had a player sent off and then we looked nervous as hell. We seem to be going backwards

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
you are correct its only 3 pts for a win

Your response along with many others in this thread are providing a very clear argument that the results ARE masking the cracks we have. people stating comments like "we are winning" or "what's the problem" clearly can't see the bigger picture. Short term in the middle of the season fine, grind out a few results here and there. however if we continue to play the type of football we have done at home this season, I am certain that season ticket holders with vote with their feet. Lets see what happens to season ticket sales for future seasons- Many People won't pay 455 to watch mid tableness, they will pick and choose their games. Sure, the hardcore of 9-10,00 will renew without question. however the product on the pitch is not going to put bums on seat. The club won't be going places with 10,000 fans.

You won't get to see the bigger picture as you will have ****ed off to support a team that's not mid table! Christ alive.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Its so obvious we need to get 2 players up front...

This is possibly one of the most dullest teams to watch I have seen. once in 7 games at home have we have scored more than 2 goals and twice in the last 14 games total.

Keep pretending everything is ok by winning 1-0 and all will be fine...

That is probably one of the daftest statements I've read on NSC (and there are quite a few dimwits who post quite regularly on here).

The team is made up of players who aren't afraid to play the ball and who are confident to play one touch football. At the end of the first half I saw an interplay between Greer, Upson and Ward that if our forwards had completed 5 years ago, I'd have fallen over in amazement. We've grow accustomed to see defenders like Bruno bring the ball completely under control with one touch or chip volley the opposing winger and run past him.

We had 2 new players in the side today yet we played with confidence and fluency; getting players in the box in numbers that we certainly didn't see in the first 2 years at the Amex. Their keeper made a number of good saves to keep Doncaster in contention and yes, not all crosses found their target but the crittical one did to complete a great (and exciting) move.

Some of the comments you've posted on this thread make me wonder where your seat is. 353 posts in 11 years? Wind yer head in for a while, your wasting your rare low count by posting this drivel.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
But it wasn't entertaining. Too much sideways sideways back stuff and I think an awful lot of people around me are getting fed up with it. If Lazarus Sharp had scored that sitter it would have been meltdown.

We had a shitload of chances. Not sure why you're ignoring that.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
After reading the first few pages, certain members of our fans are UTTER clueless wankers, that is a fact. I thought we played well at times today, we could have won the game by a much bigger margin had we taken one of our plentiful early chances, as Oscar said we just need to finish better and get the final phase of our attacks right. I don't understand those saying we weren't creative today, we created absolutely LOADS of chances just the final ball went astray, look at the stats FFS.

I don't see how this 'papers over the cracks' considering we absolutely dominated the game, bar a few dodgy patches in the second, and would have scored a lot more had the final ball been there. In fact, I remember under Gus when we played turd teams at home we were FAR more negative and boring than that today, fact. And remind me where we finished last year.....

Oh well, you carry on moaning, we win every home game 1-0 and I for one will be a happy fan, after all teams that win 1-0 a lot are never successful are they?

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
We had a shitload of chances. Not sure why you're ignoring that.

Really? A few maybe but a 'shitload' no way. The thing that frustrates me most is that we have a great squad really good layers and could have been top two last year and this year but apart from the odd 20 minutes we haven't clicked.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Dearie me.

Does the OP expect us to steamroller every team that comes to the Amex? It's actually a bit of a compliment to us that teams are setting up to come here to nick a point - in previous years they'd look at the fixture list and go "Oh, it's Brighton. There's an easy three points".
Also, the lack of understanding around tactics in football is astounding. I suppose the OP lives in a sepia tinged world where the back-pass rule wasn't invented, players wore 1-11 and kicked around a ball of leather? With the system we play, we have the opportunity to switch (ideally seamlessly) between 433 and 451 when we need to get men back to defend/flood the midfield - as people have explained in this thread it's about having a fluid system whereby players cover different positions (take Barnes for example; covering a wing as well as up front and even defending at set pieces). So any dig at a 4-5-1 is also a dig at 4-3-3 as they're the same system - that's why it's always employed by one stiker and two attacking wingers and never with 3 out and out strikers.

No, we may not be playing attractive football currently, i'll give the OP that. But, having spoken to a number of 'casual' fans they are happier to go there and see a win than be entertained and lose: who wants to see their team lose, but hell, as long as they got their moneys worth? Please.

Face it, we've not got Gus and his 'champagne' football anymore. We've got a new manager who has had a lot of injuries to contend with. We've got a team in transition who have lost four influential players in the last month to injury/sale. We're 4 points from the play-offs with a game in hand.

Things. Could. Be. A. LOT. Worse.

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
True: We're playing below what we are capable of, but False: We're crap at the moment. Some of our football was delightful - but some was frustrating - esp in the final 5 - 10 mins, when we struggled to retain possession. But the likes of Bruno, Orlandi, March, Kaz, Ince, Ward all had really decent games, with some very nice touches. Ulloa took his goal very well, too. When teams come to the Amex and play ultra defensively, and time-waste from about the half hour mark, it ain't easy.

Jim knows.

_mark_

Aug 24, 2011
It's professional sport.
It's not supposed to be easy.
Every match should be a situation where you work as hard as possible to win.
Winning in professional sport isn't easy.
99.9% of posters on here are failed professional sportsmen/women.
You get what you pay for.
Remember watching professional sport is not your job.

Please enjoy watching Brighton & Hove Albion Fooball Club.

Jan 30, 2008
You're happy to pay north of 450 quid a season to watch that every week??
I'm sorry there a lot of people that aren't and won't renew if that is what's on offer.
Waits for the standard NSC line of "we can do without fans like that"
Sorry we can't. Didn't we post £15m losses? We need bums on seats and boring football will not get them I'm afraid.
yep someone came back to the pub after the game and said apart from the last 10 mins it was average ,who am i to argue :cheers:
regards
DR

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I thought about how Brendan Rogers has taken a year to get Liverpool playing like he wants when I saw yesterday's score. I think Oscar will need at least as long and a summer clear out with a few months of next season before we see a team that truly plays as he wants. He is making do at the moment and doing a fine job too, I may be blinkered but I have no time for all the negative over expectant fans on here and at the Amex, just give the guy some time FFS and be grateful that we are still in with a shout of the playoffs.

We are looking at the long term here and we are not going to be setting the division alight for a while yet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here