lets hope these results don't keep papering over the cracks.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
You need the players to perform to a certain system - in the Premier league there are so many european players and foreign managers influencing the move away from 4-4-2 , however if the top scoring team in England are playing 4-4-2 then surely something must be right?

Do you want to know what's right with Man City? Countless millions of pounds and enough squad depth to play a different team every week and still finish in the top half of the Premier League. Comparing us to that is futile. We simply don't have their resources.

BHAWise

Oct 5, 2011
Seaford
I'm not a tactical genius by any means but isn't the beauty of 4-3-3 that when the other team has the ball the two wide forwards can track back to midfield to win the ball back then break in numbers? Clean sheets in this league are as important as goals.

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley
I want to shout and yell lots of expletives at you.

But I know I am pissed so shan't. If you don't like our play. Simply piss off and watch QPR who sign all the players no-one else can afford to. Then you will be happy in your un dull world of delightfullness. Thank for stopping and come again!

Brilliant. And your next gem is.............

Aug 23, 2011
You won't give up, will you. The reason why City are doing this is because they've comfortably outspent all other teams for the last six to eight years. Once you've got that strong a squad, and that much talent, then you can unleash it. It also helps to have Yaya Toure, who really gets around.
As indicated in my original post, if City play 4-4-2 in the Champions League, they won't last long.
Why do Bayern (Champions League holders), Real Madrid and Barcelona (arguably the best clubs in the world at the moment), Mourinho, etc, etc avoid 4-4-2 like the plague? Because it's outdated, and too rigid.

I haven't watched man city much and certainly only highlights but do they particularly play 442. Silva is often deployed either up with the strikers or just behind so if anything a 4222 but also fairly close to 433 but if I'm wrong then fair enough.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
however if the top scoring team in England are playing 4-4-2 then surely something must be right?

Given the resources and talent at their disposal I think Man City could play any formation and bulldoze the opposition. They're so superior their system is irrelevant.

Aug 23, 2011
you mean Man city (the team that have scored 100+ goals this season) are struggling as the play 4-4-2?

You need the players to perform to a certain system - in the Premier league there are so many european players and foreign managers influencing the move away from 4-4-2 , however if the top scoring team in England are playing 4-4-2 then surely something must be right?

When city are in their free scoring form then they are more than likely playing 424 rather than 442

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
451 is 433 depending on whether you are attacking or defending surely?

Even 4-4-2 ends up more like a 4-5-1 when your defending, but then again according to some people on here we're supposed to have players who can clear the ball from defence then dash up front to get on the end it and score.

Silver flying chariot

Aug 5, 2003
The title of this topic should be:

"Let's hope these results don't bring us any form of success or stability or else what will I prance and whine about week after week?"

Get a sodding grip. We've just won. Enjoy it!

I find it very funny that people run out of a response and can't put their point across effectively they start getting personal and come up with these genius comments. The guy who told me to "Piss off and support QPR" was sadly better than this comment

Well done for trying though.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
I think this is exactly the point. This happens more often than not at home.
To be fair although we sat back a bit too much at the end this is probably understandable given the run we have been on. The players probably were nervous and determined not to give away the lead so subconciously dropped back half a yard. It happens all the time to teams 1-0 up with 10 to play. Frustrating yes, but understandable.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I find it very funny that people run out of a response and can't put their point across effectively they start getting personal and come up with these genius comments. The guy who told me to "Piss off and support QPR" was sadly better than this comment

Well done for trying though.

No response to my rebuttal of your Man City comparison though? Choose your battles and all that eh?

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Do you want to know what's right with Man City? Countless millions of pounds and enough squad depth to play a different team every week and still finish in the top half of the Premier League. Comparing us to that is futile. We simply don't have their resources.
And we have scored more goals today than they have in their last 2 games ;)

luppers

Aug 10, 2008
Didim, Turkey
Really??? Are you serious that its about results and nothing else? - i Can take on board its not always going to entertaining and you can accept the odd few games here and there, however to continually set up like an away side at home and grind teams into submission just won't work. Look at the table.. its not working, we are no where near the play offs - which for a squad like ours is under acheiving.

are you holding the league tables upside down?

Buck

Through & Through
Feb 18, 2009
Not Lewes Any More
I think we're very close to being a top side. Unfortunately Oscar doesn't seen to know his best midfield.....but who does? I thought both Orlandi and Stephens were pretty average today, and the only certainty is that Ince is the holding midfielder for the future.
At home, 4-3-3 is good if you bomb on, which we did today, but we looked shapeless at times, especially early in the second half.
We're not good enough for the Premiership, I'm not sure we're good enough for the play-offs this year, however I can see us improving for the next 2-3 months and who knows.
What I do think is we're still progressing, without the media whore Poyet, and we will get stronger and youth will play a big part in it, which under Poyet never happened.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I think we're very close to being a top side. Unfortunately Oscar doesn't seen to know his best midfield.....but who does? I thought both Orlandi and Stephens were pretty average today, and the only certainty is that Ince is the holding midfielder for the future.
At home, 4-3-3 is good if you bomb on, which we did today, but we looked shapeless at times, especially early in the second half..

Bloody hell given them a chance. Stephens and Rodders have been here what 2 weeks? Injuries have resulted in Oscar not being able to select a settled team

Buck

Through & Through
Feb 18, 2009
Not Lewes Any More
Bloody hell given them a chance. Stephens and Rodders have been here what 2 weeks? Injuries have resulted in Oscar not being able to select a settled team
I agree, that's exactly what I'm saying. Injuries and new players means Oscar is still experimenting. Do any of us really think we know best midfield 3/4? Bit of a trial and error at the moment, so we have to expect varying performances. But if we can get the midfield right I think we'll click

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports