Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

lets hope these results don't keep papering over the cracks.

Rohana

I'm.Actually.Dead.
Feb 16, 2010
Shoreham-By-Sea
Change the formation we play. Unfortunately it looks like our coaching staff are unable to do this which is why we set up a 4 3 3 every game with no pace to help the lone striker. Works better when we defend but leaves us hopelessly short going forward.

4-3-3? Generous.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Change the formation we play. Unfortunately it looks like our coaching staff are unable to do this which is why we set up a 4 3 3 every game with no pace to help the lone striker. Works better when we defend but leaves us hopelessly short going forward.

You still hav'nt answered what we should change to. 442? 4231? 4141? 4213? 4321?

Silver flying chariot

Aug 5, 2003
How do we play with pace all the time when we've been constantly having to nurse our pacey players through injury and have to restrict their playing time?

you can't just blame injuries for our continued failure of scoring more than 1 goal. Agreed we have had some injuries, however if you haven't got the players to play a certain way then play the players in a system they can play in... this 4-3-3 or 4-5-1 needs pace, if you haven't got any available, don't play the formation...

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
you can't just blame injuries for our continued failure of scoring more than 1 goal. Agreed we have had some injuries, however if you haven't got the players to play a certain way then play the players in a system they can play in... this 4-3-3 or 4-5-1 needs pace, if you haven't got any available, don't play the formation...

I'm still trying to find out what we should play and who should play there but I'm not getting answers am I?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Injuries are no excuse, every club has injuries, its about adapting and planning around them. I am so suprised that you have the opinion of being amazes that we are in touch with the play offs. The play offs are surely an absolute minimum? People are not willing to accept mediocrity. Hence why (unfairly sometimes) managers don't get long in the job.. That's just the way it is. We have to take advantage NOW of our situation, not wait till all the floating fans have gone and got bored. We have the perfect opportunity to become a massively supported club, however with our current negative tactics and lack of attacking ability, your average JCL won't be hanging around - and to be honest, why would they? - to finish 10th every season and stump up the best part of £800 for the priviledge?

I can't be bothered to argue anymore. Injuries are an excuse when you have significantly more than anyone else. We've had the worst season for injuries that I can ever remember. Not seen CMS and Hoskins, barely seen Orlandi and Bridcutt (when he was here), Crofts (player of the year until January) injured for the season, Ulloa out for long periods of the season. This is not usual injuries. It is a fair excuse. The summer is as well.

I won't bother arguing again. We're just going round in circles.

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley
You still hav'nt answered what we should change to. 442? 4231? 4141? 4213? 4321?

Personally I'd go with 4 4 2 but apparently that's unfashionable and never works.
The coaching staff are paid an awful lot of money to work this out and they should know how to change things when they aren't going right.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
to be fair, its up to Garcia to pick the correct one, the current tactics aren't working. - we are 8th 25 pts off the pace and 9 pts from 5th.. That is the ultimate measure.

That's the point I've been getting at I'm happy to let Oscar pick the team and tactics while I support the team, But according to you it's all wrong but you hav'nt really got a clue what we should be doing and that's why your now passing it back to Oscar.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Personally I'd go with 4 4 2 but apparently that's unfashionable and never works.
The coaching staff are paid an awful lot of money to work this out and they should know how to change things when they aren't going right.

That would be the 442 that still rely's on 2 fast wide players that we have to nurse through games like we do with 433.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
If you really knew me you'd know I disagree with the club on a number of things but I don't spend my time putting it all up on the internet just to get a reaction, I come across as pro Albion because I enjoy where we are now and I don't believe we have a devine right to win every game and be promotion certainties. In my eyes we have 2 types of fans now, The here and now brigade and those that appreciate what we've got and where we're going with the patience to see it through.

absolutely this post in nutshell

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
scoring 2 goals twice in 16 league games will not keep fans coming to watch Brighton. Agree with you that 2 defeats doesn't mean EVERYTHING is wrong, Just like the wins didn't, however our continual negativity to even attempt to score a 2nd goal and kill games off is what I find frustrating. Not sure you can compare us to Arsenal in terms of putting up with 1-0 wins to get results. . The two clubs are so different and don't compare at all.

Ultimatley, after 30 odd games you can argue the tactic hasn't worked.... We are 25 pts off the pace, 9 points behind 5th place.. That in my book would indicate we aren't being succesful enough. All clubs have injuries, not having that as an excuse.

We've scored two goals twice out of 31 games. We've also scored 3 four times. That's not good enough, no. But I'm not sure what you mean by scoring two goals twice in 16 matches. The only teams to score fewer goals than us make up 6 of the bottom seven sides in our division. Shows how important our defence is this season, but also where we need to improve.

We do attempt to score more than one goal, though. In every game that we have scored one, we have had other opportunities to score, but have failed to take them. Of course that is a concern, but not as much a concern as not even trying as you suggest we've not been doing.

I wasn't meaning to compare us to Arsenal so much as showing that in the right circumstances the tactic of score one and defend can bring success, feeding into the larger point about things not being so black and white.

After 31 games we have the same points we had at this equivalent point last season, which stood us in good stead for the rest of the season, which would indicate it might not be as bad as it seems to you. It might be if we don't continue to win points in line with last season, though.

Yes, all clubs do have injuries, but I think it wrong to completely dismiss our injury list: Bruno, Greer, Andrews, Hoskins, Crofts, Agustien, Orlandi, CMS, Chicksen*, Ankergren**, JFC, Ulloa, Upson, Lualua, March, Kuszczak, Buckley, Ince, Bridcutt, and Barnes have all missed games due to injury. That's 20 players.

We've got 36 players with squad numbers announced at the start of the season, or been given one when they featured in a match squad. That includes Dickenson and Richards who have not featured at all, Walton and Barker who have a couple of unused sub appearances.

Pretty much two thirds of our regular squad have missed matches because of injuries. That's not a regular injury level, it's not the degree of injuries a lot of teams suffer from.

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley
That would be the 442 that still rely's on 2 fast wide players that we have to nurse through games like we do with 433.

Don't try and start being smart again.
I'm not paid 000's a week to pick the team and formation. I don't see what happens in training every day. It is their job to know these things not mine. The coaches are all football people and have been for years.
I am just an observer. There's a massive difference but from the outside looking in it seems that whatever they are doing formation wise is not working hence the lack of goals despite having a self confessed attacking obsessed manager.
And on that note I'm off before I get too tired and use it as an excuse for performing shit at work tomorrow.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
I am not doing it for a reaction, I am not 12 years old. I have an opinion and I am prepared to voice it (and accept others) - We don't have 2 types of fans at all (to quote your comment earlier didn't you ask if someone had asked them all to be able to provide that answer?) Why does it matter how long people have supported the Albion. Under your rules, what category do I fit under. Been all over the country since 1995 watching thisteam. I am not here and now brigade neither a appreciate what we have. You can't stand still and just accept things the way they are... Its blatently obvious something needs to change. If it doesn't Ifear people will start voting with their feet and the AMEX will be half full every week. We need the here and now brigade as much as the eternal optimists...

You know what I won't care if the Amex is half full I will go home and away regardless of manager tactics board or success because you know what i support brighton thick or thin good or bad shit football or total football. You say you have been going since 1995 so you were around in the dark days. Next time you go to the Amex open ur eyes and relish what we have become.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Don't try and start being smart again.
I'm not paid 000's a week to pick the team and formation. I don't see what happens in training every day. It is their job to know these things not mine. The coaches are all football people and have been for years.
I am just an observer. There's a massive difference but from the outside looking in it seems that whatever they are doing formation wise is not working hence the lack of goals despite having a self confessed attacking obsessed manager.
And on that note I'm off before I get too tired and use it as an excuse for performing shit at work tomorrow.

It's not a question of trying to be smart it's just looking at the bigger picture, As another poster said on here a while ago we're having to play to our strengths and anybody who can't see that is blind to the game.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Yes, all clubs do have injuries, but I think it wrong to completely dismiss our injury list: Bruno, Greer, Andrews, Hoskins, Crofts, Agustien, Orlandi, CMS, Chicksen*, Ankergren**, JFC, Ulloa, Upson, Lualua, March, Kuszczak, Buckley, Ince, Bridcutt, and Barnes have all missed games due to injury. That's 20 players.

Oops, forgot to add:

*Chicksen was injured at the start of the season before Ward arrived, so would have played if he were fit.
**Ankergren's injury occurred at the same time as Kuszczak's, and as he had been on the bench more frequently than Brezovan, it is fair to assume at that point he would have been first choice to step in had he been fit

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here