Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Leicester City vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
On the flip - Watford/Burnley/Leicester were outplayed by Brighton with 1 point return.

Absolutely THIS

Last night we were excellent- missed a hatful of good chances - Murray one open goal and a poor effort when free at the back post, Duffy two free headers from corners, the second miss almost as bad as Murray’s.
Then Propper and Knockaert first half, Propper a poor finish and Knockaert great save by the keeper. On top of all that Murray twice didn’t gamble from great balls in by Knockaert for tap ins, and Bissouma just wide from the edge of the box. Against two clinical finishes from breakaways by Leicester.

Away performances have been dire for two years, but this wasn’t one of them.

If we play half as well on Saturday we will thrash Huddersfield

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Same old team same result nice one Chris. What has March got on you? Murray should retire pathetic performance. Stephens well what can I say the last time you didn’t play we at least picked up a point. Bong went missing (again) for the first goal. We have decent players a bench of £75m last night put the money on the pitch or time to go.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Hmmm, glad you’re still enjoying our performances. You must be one of the few who are. What I’m struggling to understand is how you can and also be so confident we’ll avoid the drop? Everything suggests otherwise. That’s not being negative, just empirical. I’m all for a bit of blind optimism but 2 points this year, a handful of consolation goals, the PLs worst away record are, just for starters, facts that suggest those of us who can see us snatching 18th position are closer to reality than perhaps those that don’t.

I'm under no illusion of where we are in the league and the very real threat of relegation, but I also don't think you can take a run of results in isolation, you have to look at performances. We've not been bad in games, I've not seen a lack of effort or organisation. We are making far too many mistakes though. What I am confident in is that we'll pull it out of the bag, because for 4 years, especially at home, we've managed to do it. Last season we had a bad run and suddenly needed results at home to Arsenal and ManUtd, which we seemingly pulled out of nowhere. I also look at the other teams below us and see them struggling worse than us – that is empirical.

I know you say 2 points this year, but it has just been 7 games, 2 of them against the league leaders and ManUtd who have the best form in the league, and we gave both a run for their money. So really we have 2 points from 5 games we expect to get points from. At the same time, we've been playing well in the cup. It's not blind optimism, it's just having a glass half full rather than half empty.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
On the flip - Watford/Burnley/Leicester were outplayed by Brighton with 1 point return.

Fair points about Watford and Leicester.

Disagree about Burnley. For a bottom 3 club to score 3 away goals, they deserved their win, Barnes and Wood gave D&D an afternoon to forget. Our only big complaint the no pen shocker. Plus we came out of the blocks comatose, yet again for a PL game, handing the game to them - catch-up football between 2 not disimilar teams is so often fatal.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Fair points about Watford and Leicester.

Disagree about Burnley. For a bottom 3 club to score 3 away goals, they deserved their win, Barnes and Wood gave D&D an afternoon to forget. Our only big complaint the no pen shocker. Plus we came out of the blocks comatose, yet again for a PL game, handing the game to them - catch-up football between 2 not disimilar teams is so often fatal.

Burnley were very poor last night.
And Newcastle although scoring 2 were not much better.
The crowd knew it too, St James's Park was like a primary school playground in the school holidays.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
If we go down (we won't) Hughton would be the man to get us back up.

What is crucial is what the recruitment team do this summer. Last year we bought players to fill out the squad, to give us viable cover in all positions. What we didn't do (whether intentionally or not) was buy players to improve the team. One or two of them may eventually do so, but they haven't done yet, which is why most of the time they are on the bench - at best - even when fit.

This summer, we need one or two players who are better than anybody we've already got, who will be first names on the team sheet week in, week out. That's what we failed to do last summer (and last January, when Locadia came in, and who is looking more and more like a panic buy). If the recruitment team deliver, then we'll need to watch and see what CH can deliver. If they don't, then next season will be the same as this, a struggle. And even in that scenario, CH is probably the best bet to drag us over the line.

I agree with this. Cardiff still have 4 of the top 6 to play as well as the likes of Burnley and Wolves to play away. We'd have to be pretty bad not to out point them given 5 of the home fixtures we've got.

We need to sharpen up for next year though.The squad at the moment is much of a muchness evidenced by the cup team being arguably as good as the first team. We are 2 or 3 short in the 1st team. A CF which we know is difficult to fill. A full back - given they are often the spare man going forward is crucial - in the Bruno mold and a Stephen's upgrade. You could also make a case for upgrades out wide unless this year's signings come to life. It'll be a long year if we continue to rely on the ageing old guard.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Burnley were very poor last night.
And Newcastle although scoring 2 were not much better.
The crowd knew it too, St James's Park was like a primary school playground in the school holidays.

Heaton Kept Burnley in it with two good saves, actually think more down to poor finishing.

1 of those go in and its a different game.

I think something needs to change in the summer, but I think its about finishing the season now league wise.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
We are having a lean spell and going through a bad patch. It happens to most teams at some point. Nobody was grizzling about Lancing a year ago - were it not for Lancing, we probably wouldn't even be in this bloody division in the first place.

Bissouma is in his first season, as a 22 year old, in a new country, playing in the toughest, most competitive high quality League in the world. He can be forgiven for not looking like Zidane after 6-7 months, can he not ?

I thought we were a fairly realistic bunch on the whole, but the rivers of piss billowing around after tonights game really are something else.

Once again you miss the point.

It isn't about the facility-it's all about what goes on there.

Stupid comment also about Bissouma being 'only 22'. If he is considered mature enough for the Albion to spend millions to get him then surely he is mature enough to be coached? Coaching being the important thing. From Bissouma I see loads of natural talent coupled with some poor decision making and even worse shooting. Still, he is 'only 22'.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Frustrating one last night. Leicester took their chances, we didn't. They had a lot of the ball and a lot of quality but weren't that great and fans got on their back half way through the second half.

I worry about how slow and ponderous we are. Gross, Stephens, Murray. March & Knockaert too similar to me and neither particularly quick on the ball. Murray had no one near him most the game, then when we had the ball out wide he seemed to also be out of position. I do wonder if Hughton needs to play a bit less safe with his 'trusted' players and let the handbrake off in search of a bit more attacking ability.

We played OK but just not taking chances. First time to King Power too, fairly decent ground, nice area. Search was very intrusive, or maybe I look a bit dodgy

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Same old team same result nice one Chris. What has March got on you? Murray should retire pathetic performance. Stephens well what can I say the last time you didn’t play we at least picked up a point. Bong went missing (again) for the first goal. We have decent players a bench of £75m last night put the money on the pitch or time to go.

I'm not having Bong blamed for the first goal. Propper stopped in his tracks letting the defender go past him !

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
I'm not having Bong blamed for the first goal. Propper stopped in his tracks letting the defender go past him !

Yup.. I thought similar. it seemed that Dunk and Propper didnt communicate and both blocked the ball rather than marked the man..

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
A decent performance and no points. Too easy to score against, missing chances at the other end. Classic recipe for relegation.

I thought only Cardiff and Southampton were true must-wins, but Huddersfield is now firmly in that category - just to stop the slide.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Stupid comment also about Bissouma being 'only 22'. If he is considered mature enough for the Albion to spend millions to get him then surely he is mature enough to be coached? Coaching being the important thing. From Bissouma I see loads of natural talent coupled with some poor decision making and even worse shooting. Still, he is 'only 22'.

Whats "gone on there" is that within about 3 years of its inception, we won promotion to the Premier League. Now that not ALL down to the training ground obviously, but it certainly helps. You seem to be equating a poor run of form to our players wasting their time there, or doing something "wrong" at the training ground when thats patently bobbins. We've played well at times, we've played poorly at times, we've had some bad luck, we've come up against keepers having worldy's, we've had some shite decisions go against us, and we've had some inexpllicably shocking finishing. In other words, all the usual flim-flam that contributes to a bad run during the course of a season - IT HAPPENS. Whats the training ground got to do with it ?

Your comments about Bissouma are ridiculous. Of course he can be coached, and he quite obviously IS being coached. But you're expecting to see the finished article after he's come over from having played a couple of seasons in France, been here 6-7 months, and played less than 20 games in the Premier League. Give the lad a chance ffs.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Right now, time alas is a luxury we do not have. Whichever player, giving them time to find their feet and play to their strengths and fit them in a system is a non-starter.

If we are to stay up, we need players to perform now and get results.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
For this to happen we will
Have to smash our wage structure. Don’t won’t to pay players £60,000 a week or £100,000 but most others are palace and bmuff may have no choice pay up or get relegated . “CH probably best man todrag us over the line “ . Please god no he’s had his chance lose saturdsy deserves to b sacked !
Did you used to bee a Norwich supporter, or have you just been listening to too much of their rubbish? (they booted out CH and got relegated, btw)

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
I thought we played well, as we have done a number of times recently. But we seem to have the odd lapse in defence and come up against good goalkeepers.
We just don't seem to be as clinical as most other premiership teams. I am not sure what the answer is to change this, but I think a lot stems from confidence, other teams players just seem to have more than us.
If we can get our confidence back soon we can get back towards mid table, if not, we are entering squeaky bum time..
FWIW I think that the bottom 2 plus Cardiff are the most likely candidates for the drop, if we play to the levels we have shown many times this season that we are capable of.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I thought we played well, as we have done a number of times recently. But we seem to have the odd lapse in defence and come up against good goalkeepers.
We just don't seem to be as clinical as most other premiership teams. I am not sure what the answer is to change this, but I think a lot stems from confidence, other teams players just seem to have more than us.
If we can get our confidence back soon we can get back towards mid table, if not, we are entering squeaky bum time..
FWIW I think that the bottom 2 plus Cardiff are the most likely candidates for the drop, if we play to the levels we have shown many times this season that we are capable of.
Good post. Cardiff have a very awkward run-in too.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green

Shooting u say ? Midfielder? No way I don’t believe you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here