Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Lee Mason at it again

should welbeck have had a penalty?

• penalty

• no penalty

Results are only viewable after voting.

Peppermint Tea

Aug 31, 2007
That was as clear and obvious as the fact that Lee Mason doesn’t own a comb.

He’s got more “controversies” in his biography than Jeremy Clarkson. He needs to be relieved of duties permanently. He’s just not fit for duty.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He got the boot as a ref after the WBA non goal, so it wouldn’t be too cynical to think he was going to give us F all as VAR ref. Should not be appointed to VAR for any Albion games from now on. Pleased that RDZ let his feelings be known, being cheated needs calling out.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
This is the kind of challenge that I wish wasn't a penalty but these are given all the time. I wonder if his going down easily (and fairly theatrically) affected the refs decision.
Reading that I get the impression you haven't seen what actually happened. On MOTD they zoom in on their feet and you can see Welb's foot being squashed into the ground. He couldn't have stayed up if he tried.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I think Welbeck has felt contact and gone over incredibly easily. I can see why VAR didn’t overrule.
A welcome opinion. I've even gone back to watch the video a few times, I can't believe this thread and poll. There's nothing in it, hardly a sackable offence!

The one at Old Trafford was a sackable offence, obvious penalty there but this one? No.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Reading that I get the impression you haven't seen what actually happened. On MOTD they zoom in on their feet and you can see Welb's foot being squashed into the ground. He couldn't have stayed up if he tried.
Bad fish is making a different point and one that I have also made. The fall looked unnatural. The risk is the ref (rightly or wrongly) thinks he is being conned. Blame Grealish and all the other cheats for this. Not refs.

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
BT
Sky
BBC

All of their pundits said penalty...

Can't all be wrong. Though Digne kicking March in the air in November was definitely one as well.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I have seen loads of var penalties given for a lot less contact
Exactly. Can't remember which game it was but I think it was Veltman touching the back of a player at a corner who went down like he'd been pole axed and we got a pen against us.

The thing I don't get about VAR is that the broadcasters get different angles and sometimes better shots of the tackles than the officials.

If you are going to hinge a game on a decision (ok may or may not be in this case) then surely VAR should have many multiple cameras or access to the broadcasters cameras to get different angles.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Ok then. Personally, I tend to hop around and swear a lot if someone smacks my foot. Perhaps that would have been a better reaction.

"Went down too easily" is football pundit speak for "he dived/cheated". Welbeck did not do that.
Your reaction to such a challenge sounds reasonable. Welbeck didn’t hop around and swear though. He rolled over several times. Look I don’t think it’s a big deal but this thread accusing the officials of cheating is a bit of a joke.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Don't think he went down easily, impossible or very difficult to keep balance in that situation. Can't say he fell discretely... but why would he?
Was definitely enough contact, understand how it wasn't seen in real time but if VAR is going to be around it better do what it is supposed to do.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here