Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

League Cup Final: Swansea City vs. Bradford City - The OFFICIAL Thread

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Really? Are you watching the game?

Rules are rules, for a referee, you must stick to them.

In fact the commentators just said the referee pre match said he wanted to stay out of the spotlight. I'm sure he'd love to have booked the keeper, but the authorities would be on his back in a shot.

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
As much as Bradford were the underdogs, Swansea have come A LONG WAY and accomplished a lot to win this cup...well done to them!

Sam-

Feb 20, 2012
I like to think we are just like Swansea, only a few years behind. No reason why we can't be in their position in a few years.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yep.
It's like watching a prem team playing a league two team....oh wait!

Summed up nicely. All very predictable once it got to the wide open pitch of Wembley.
No point watching the annihilation, unless a spiteful Leeds or Huddersfield fan.

Bradford can hold their heads high. On a minute budget, knocked out the highly paid and cosseted prima donnas of Wigan, Arsenal and Villa.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
It's amazing... Premier League team plays lower league side, takes them seriously, plays professionally and wins. If only the other had taken the same, less complacent, approach.

That said, great to see a League Two side in a major final.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
I was there yesterday and in the Bradford end. Their fans were incredible and were still singing and waving flags at 5-0 down - proper support that, I know some on here would BOO if we were in their position.

Bradford's luck ran out in the end.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
What a selfish tosser

chris-rock_large.jpg

"So anyway, there is this Capitols Cup thing over in England right and we got a shoot at the goal going on and this mo-fo called De Guzman, who is from somewhere called Holland but talks like he's from downtown D.C. - the white side if you know what I'm saying - is acting like a complete f**king jackass and not letting me take the shoot on goal, holding onto the ball and all sorts of shit and you gotta appreciate this guy's about six foot nine or something, so I'm standing there looking up at him...."

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Rules are rules, for a referee, you must stick to them.

In fact the commentators just said the referee pre match said he wanted to stay out of the spotlight. I'm sure he'd love to have booked the keeper, but the authorities would be on his back in a shot.
Have you seen the Man City game? Joe Hart in an identical situation DIDN'T get sent off. One ref was right and one was wrong. I hope Mr Friend is the one in the wrong as it just wasn't the 'right' thing to do.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Have you seen the Man City game? Joe Hart in an identical situation DIDN'T get sent off. One ref was right and one was wrong. I hope Mr Friend is the one in the wrong as it just wasn't the 'right' thing to do.

Hardly identical. Ba was going away from goal with no guarantee (though a reasonable possibility) of scoring. Hart probably should have got a yellow, mind.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
If I was a Bradford player or fan and KNEW the ref had spared my keeper being sent off, just to be kind to little old Bradford, I would be PATRONISED beyond belief.

The keeper didn't argue because he knew the red was the right decision 100%. You don't ADAPT the rules to be nice.

Maybe if their striker was through on goal in the last minute we should make sure the linesman doesn't flag him offside as it will be 'really nice' for them to score.

Also, for the Dyer/De guzman SPAT, both came out of the badly. De Guzman 100% should hand over the pen in that situation. At 2-0 I would say NO WAY, but the game is won at 3-0. However, Dyer absolutely embarrassed himself. It was like a playground fight. "I want my hatrick! John. Please. John. Come on."

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Hardly identical. Ba was going away from goal with no guarantee (though a reasonable possibility) of scoring. Hart probably should have got a yellow, mind.

I think they were as identical as makes no difference. A goalie, right in front of his goal at the edge of his six-yard box, brings down a forward who's gone or about to go round him. Clear penalty, no questions there. Then for the red card you're left to judge if it was a 'goal-scoring opportunity' and take into account whether the angle was too tight, would the covering defender (in Bradford's case) have been able to get back to clear the shot off the line, and things like that. I would argue that in the strictest sense of the modern rules both were red cards, although ideally the penalty should be reward enough and the cards yellow.

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
I was there yesterday and in the Bradford end. Their fans were incredible and were still singing and waving flags at 5-0 down - proper support that, I know some on here would BOO if we were in their position.QUOTE]

Brought back memories of the support we gave the team in the last few minutes of the 1983 replay!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here