Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Laughing at Palace.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
We finished above them, and right now, that counts for something. It makes me happy for a start, and before the playoffs, I will enjoy that. If we know them out their victory in December will count for nothing - in fact, their whole season will count for nothing, but that doesn't mean they didn't get to enjoy the good times while they could.

Of course we shouldn't get cocky or complacent about the playoffs, but to not enjoy the moment now, for what it is, defeats the object of being a fan.

If Palace draw against 'boro, they'll probably play us.

I think Bolton will beat Blackpool comfortably and we'll play them.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think Bolton will beat Blackpool comfortably and we'll play them.
Blackpool are one of the form sides. We all saw them stuffed at the Amex and assume they're not up for it, but that was their only loss in the last 7 matches. If Palace get a point, Bolton would have to win by 3 to go above Palace (apart from against us, they haven't lost by 3 since 3rd Nov). If we play Bolton it's probably because Palace have lost, which could happen, but it's odds against.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Blackpool are one of the form sides. We all saw them stuffed at the Amex and assume they're not up for it, but that was their only loss in the last 7 matches. If Palace get a point, Bolton would have to win by 3 to go above Palace (apart from against us, they haven't lost by 3 since 3rd Nov). If we play Bolton it's probably because Palace have lost, which could happen, but it's odds against.

Perhaps but if we went by stats we wouldn't have won 6-1...... I take your point, but I just have a feeling or maybe just wishful thinking. I would prefer to avoid Palace, I really don't want them to have any opportunity to gain any sort of one-upmanship on us.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I just have a feeling or maybe just wishful thinking.
Fair enough, there's a fair chance we'll play Bolton.
I would prefer to avoid Palace, I really don't want them to have any opportunity to gain any sort of one-upmanship on us.
Avoiding Palace is the sensible wish. All things being equal, we should be doing better than them for years, so we don't want them to have the chance to beat us now. But I'm not feeling too sensible at the moment, I'm feeling daring, and would quite like to face Palace in the semis. It would be massive and I'd start to feel sick the moment it was confirmed, but no pain no gain. It would be the biggest game since Hereford, and the cup final before that. Games like this don't come along often.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Thats the only silver lining for me, we cannot do any worse than we are, so really the only way is up and every cloud has a silver lining

That's just silliness. The only way is not up. The other way...the way where you flunk the playoffs altogether is still the more likely scenario IMHO. Posh are going to fight like dogs on Saturday.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Fair enough, there's a fair chance we'll play Bolton.
Avoiding Palace is the sensible wish. All things being equal, we should be doing better than them for years, so we don't want them to have the chance to beat us now. But I'm not feeling too sensible at the moment, I'm feeling daring, and would quite like to face Palace in the semis. It would be massive and I'd start to feel sick the moment it was confirmed, but no pain no gain. It would be the biggest game since Hereford, and the cup final before that. Games like this don't come along often.

Great post....... You're braver than me!

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
for those who don't want to laugh at palace, is it OK to laugh at Holloway?

He told BBC Radio 5 live: "People can talk about stats but we are not the only team to not be winning. Some of them are much worse than us."

the form table suggests that this is stretching the truth to breaking point:

better than millwall and bristol city.jpg

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I have to say that I’m over the moon we’ve finished above palace (again) nothing sweeter than being able to have a little smile at my palace supporting friends after getting so much grief for most of the season BUT I can’t help but think all of the thread bouncing and laughing at their poor run of form is a little premature. These things have a habit of coming back to haunt you and as we could end up with egg on our faces IF they beat us or progress further in the play offs.

If come half two Saturday they are beaten and end up finishing 7th I’ll be the first to laugh at their expense but not before then or they’ve been defeated in the play offs.

Surely I’m not alone on this???

Finishing below us in the league will count for nothing if they are in the Prem next season

zoogull

zoogull
May 29, 2008
Herstmonceux
I've read some interesting threads that seem to take it for granted that we will be playing Palace, maybe because its what we want, but also because Palace have been the team in the frame for so long, and the side that we needed to catch.

But Palace could well end up in 7th place. Bolton are the form side, and Peterborough are battling hard. I would prefer Palace in the semis, because I think we can do them again, but the way they are playing it may be Bolton and Forest that pip them at the post.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
for those who don't want to laugh at palace, is it OK to laugh at Holloway?

He told BBC Radio 5 live: "People can talk about stats but we are not the only team to not be winning. Some of them are much worse than us."
I love that man, he's such an idiot.

But Palace could well end up in 7th place. Bolton are the form side, and Peterborough are battling hard. I would prefer Palace in the semis, because I think we can do them again, but the way they are playing it may be Bolton and Forest that pip them at the post.
It may be Bolton or Forest, but it is more likely it will be Palace (not because of gut feeling, but because of how many points they have, that's what the odds are). A fair chance it will be Bolton though, and like you, I'd prefer it was Palace.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here