Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Largely Forgotten TV Personalities of the 60s, 70s and 80s

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
John (Aden) Gillett. Three episdes of The Crown and side kick to Harry Enfield in 'and chums'.

JG.jpg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I probably wouldn't even remember Mr Pastry if I hadn't had his Annual as a child as he was a bit before my time.

The actor who played him, Richard Hearne, was later interviewed for the part of Dr Who after Jon Pertwee, but he wanted to play the Doctor as Mr Pastry. (Pertwee had also previously made regular appearances in Mr Pastry). The producers weren't so keen on the Pastry characterisation for the Doctor so gave the part to Tom Baker instead.

This Annual is the only reason I remember him...

View attachment 122603

I remember there being a lot of flour all over the shop.

It was shit.

Animal Magic, now you're talking (or, well, Johnny Morris was).

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
I'm actually going to invite guesses for this one. Appeared in three series of a costume drama and one series of a comedy series as a 'side kick' to the main star. Never to be seen on the tellybox again. My old mate John, known professionally by his middle name and birthplace. I last saw him at a Brighton game. :cheers:

I just rewatched all of the House of Elliot and he was brilliant in that. One of my favourite shows. I also saw him at the Theatre Royal in Blithe Spirit. He was Charles opposite Penelope Keith as Madame Arcati and he was brilliant in that too.

Is he still in the business?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Doesn't need the cash.

In the silly 90s (when money was sloshing around in TV) he was creating and selling on production companies that don't exist anymore.

His made more money from TV than he ever made as a musician.

His company Planet 24 made The Big Breakfast which was sold to Carlton. Bob's share was 5 million.

He's had other TV production companies ( did Castaway I think) since then and probably has his fingers in a few pots.

Jasper Carrot ( remember him ) was a major shareholder in Celador who made Who Wants To Be A Millionaire.

Sold his shares for 10 million in 2006.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

He lives round the corner (in the priory on the hill). Sharp lad and great value. I saw him walking the streets with his missus, distraught, after his daugher died. :down:

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I probably wouldn't even remember Mr Pastry if I hadn't had his Annual as a child as he was a bit before my time.

The actor who played him, Richard Hearne, was later interviewed for the part of Dr Who after Jon Pertwee, but he wanted to play the Doctor as Mr Pastry. (Pertwee had also previously made regular appearances in Mr Pastry). The producers weren't so keen on the Pastry characterisation for the Doctor so gave the part to Tom Baker instead.

This Annual is the only reason I remember him...

View attachment 122603

I was sure you were my age at least and yet this is twice you have referred to something I remember as being before your time. I smell a rat.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Peter Cleall, Aka Duffy from Please Sir and the Fen Street Gang, became a theatrical agent based in Brighton.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
He's the first actor about whom I thought '**** me, not Sam Kydd again'. He was in absolutely everything.

However he absolutely does not qualify:

"He made over 240 films, more than any other British actor"

FFS.

And his wife's name was Pinkie Barnes. I doesn't get any dirtier than that.

I don't know why but I think I quite like that sentence without the comma in it.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Doesn't need the cash.

In the silly 90s (when money was sloshing around in TV) he was creating and selling on production companies that don't exist anymore.

His made more money from TV than he ever made as a musician.

His company Planet 24 made The Big Breakfast which was sold to Carlton. Bob's share was 5 million.

He's had other TV production companies ( did Castaway I think) since then and probably has his fingers in a few pots.

Jasper Carrot ( remember him ) was a major shareholder in Celador who made Who Wants To Be A Millionaire.

Sold his shares for 10 million in 2006.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk
Saw Jasper Carrot recently in concert. Fantastic show

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I just rewatched all of the House of Elliot and he was brilliant in that. One of my favourite shows. I also saw him at the Theatre Royal in Blithe Spirit. He was Charles opposite Penelope Keith as Madame Arcati and he was brilliant in that too.

Is he still in the business?

Ha! Yes, but he's a bit sluggish at putting himself about. Sadly I see he split up with the missus not that long ago.

I worked with him in the Royal Pavillion Tavern in 1979/80. His older brother worked there too (Charles Walkie Gillett). They came from Jersey. John had just graduated from Sussex in English and was after a place at RADA (which he got). He was brilliant company; so funny. I have posted several times on here how the Albion team popped in one weekday lunchtime, and Lawro came to the bar and asked me for change for the cigarette machine. Minutes later John sidled up and said, all conspiritorial and mock awe-like and arched eyebrow 'Did you hear that? A 'million paahnds' just said to you "'ere chief, you got change for the cigarette machine?"'. I nearly wet myself, laughing. :thumbsup:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
If we're talking about series that I'd like to see again, my favourite programme when I was kid was Ace of Wands.

I've never seen it repeated but I'd love to catch it again. The main actor was a guy called Michael Mackenzie who I thought had vanished from the scene but he's been very busy... just in a lot of programmes that I don't watch,

It had a terrific theme song too

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I remember there being a lot of flour all over the shop.

It was shit.

A memory has just come flooding back reading that. I remember now my mum took me and my sister to see him make a personal appearance somewhere in some hall or other.

It was your mention of flour being all over the shop that triggered the memory.... that and the fact that it was shit.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
If we're talking about series that I'd like to see again, my favourite programme when I was kid was Ace of Wands.

I've never seen it repeated but I'd love to catch it again. The main actor was a guy called Michael Mackenzie who I thought had vanished from the scene but he's been very busy... just in a lot of programmes that I don't watch,f

It had a terrific theme song too

Only the third season survives, alas, but they’re all on this DVD.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ace-Wands-...1&keywords=Ace+of+wands&qid=1587505053&sr=8-1

And yes, the theme, by Andy Bown, is fab.

Last edited:

Randall and Hopkirk (deceased) - the original, not the "Vic and Bob" remake. I got the autograph of a very hot and sweaty Kenneth Cope after a celeb. football game in the early seventies.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here