Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Largely Forgotten TV Personalities of the 60s, 70s and 80s

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I'm actually going to invite guesses for this one. Appeared in three series of a costume drama and one series of a comedy series as a 'side kick' to the main star. Never to be seen on the tellybox again. My old mate John, known professionally by his middle name and birthplace. I last saw him at a Brighton game. :cheers:

View attachment 122586

He looks like a barman that used to work in The Pavilion Tavern /Shades

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Russell Hunter, Lonely in Callan

FFC34AFE-81FF-4984-B260-EE2517F37C94.jpeg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Alfred Burke who played Marker, loved that detective programme

View attachment 122587

Quite a lot of it filmed in Brighton.

He died aged 92 after a long and moderately successful career, including an appearance in a Harry Potter film. On stage Burke appeared in several productions by the Royal Shakespeare Company, including Richard II, Romeo and Juliet, Roberto Zucco, The Tempest, Peer Gynt, Measure for Measure, Troilus and Cressida, Two Shakespearean Actors, All's Well That Ends Well and Antony and Cleopatra. In 2008 he appeared at the National Theatre as the Shepherd in a new version of Sophocles' Oedipus by Frank McGuinness. So he doesn't count. Was a conchie during the war. Quite interesting, given his place of cremation (Golders' green crematorium) suggests he was possibly a Jew.

That was a great series and one of my favourite action dramas as a nipper (along with Danger Man and The Saint). Well, I say action.... :lolol:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Slight digress just started watching On the buses from 1969...Series 1......

Even more of digression: I have a mate from Slovenia who learned English from watching On the Buses - I shudder to think what his early attempts were like

Alfred Burke who played Marker, loved that detective programme

I think that one of the later series was partly set in Brighton

And keeping with the Brighton theme, what about Peter Cleall - Duffy in Please, Sir? He was a regular in the Chicken Run, used to stand near me.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Russell Hunter, Lonely in Callan

View attachment 122590

I was just about to look him up. That was a great series.

Actually, after the Wicker Man, I'd like to add Edward Woodward, as the rest of his career was shiyite!

Why does Edward Woodwood have so many ds in his name?

Because without them he'd be Ewar Woowoo!

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Sam Kydd. His face always seemed to be on the TV in the 60s. I knew him from his starring role in the TV series "Orlando".

220px-Sam_Kydd.jpg

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I was just about to look him up. That was a great series.

Actually, after the Wicker Man, I'd like to add Edward Woodward, as the rest of his career was shiyite!

I'd scarcely say that: The Equalizer was a big TV series and pretty popular. He was also in a really good Australian film called Breaker Morant - it's well worth catching.

I saw him on stage in the early 80s as a charismatic Macheath in The Beggar's Opera (he had a decent singing voice too).

He was ill and semi-retired before he died but he was scarcely a one-hit wonder

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
2ABBEA50-FD56-4039-BD30-EB9047F12C77.jpeg

Ian Hendry, in so many tv programs back then. Here with Patrick Macnee

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
My first-ever boss was a definite member of this club.

7b043fa7da1593dad744b1cba3df606a.jpg

Ring any bells?! :lolol:

By the time I worked for him, in 1990, his TV glory days were over and he was running a production company in Maidenhead – which was an epicentre for has-been 70s TV stars, who all seemed to live in nearby places like Bray. Frequently the likes of Ernie Wise and other cronies (including the aforementioned Rolf Harris on one occasion) would wander into our office for an afternoon 'reminisce' over a glass of whisky, and we'd enter a timewarp where comments such as "It's one of the big regrets of my life that I've never made love to a black woman" would be uttered by one of these individuals (naming no names).

Unsurprisingly it wasn't for me, I only stuck it for a year!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Oh, and whatever happened to the finest TV actor of his generation? Yes, I realise he became TJ Syrup, but that doesn't count after the Majesty of his presence as Captain James T ****ing Kirk. Fact. :love:

kirk-2.png

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'd scarcely say that: The Equalizer was a big TV series and pretty popular. He was also in a really good Australian film called Breaker Morant - it's well worth catching.

I saw him on stage in the early 80s as a charismatic Macheath in The Beggar's Opera (he had a decent singing voice too).

He was ill and semi-retired before he died but he was scarcely a one-hit wonder

Fair enough. I'll hold my hand up. I didn't like the way he bullied the smelly grass. And I didn't like his moralizing in whatever other dreary series it was. I took a personal dislike to him. My bad.

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
What a great thread. Had a quick look through. Loved Jack Hargreaves and Chris Peacock. What happened to David Bobin and David Icke. Respect Sports reporters from our local BBC stations.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here