Klopp bang on re early leavers.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I can only assume that people leaving early for "transport issue" reasons don't attend many away fixtures. If they did they'd be saying "we're so lucky you can stay 'til the end at the Amex and get home in reasonable time as opposed to *insert name of any number of clubs*.

Well quite, Bolton has a similar set up to us with a station a stones throw form the ground and for two seasons running for our game there were no trains running at all on that line only a replacement bus service, one can only imagine the horror if that ever happens at the Amex.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
If you leave early you avoid all the queues, you get home earlier ohh, or you get to the pub earlier aaahh and you miss some football, great.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
im not convinced that most of those leaving early are just for the the trains. i'd be very interested to know the official numbers, but by my estimate you'll get 1000 passengers on an 8 car train - if your lucky (or unlucky, depending on seat/armpit proximity). given the 3 car trains down the line and 4-5 max an hour each way, there may well be less than 10k people realistically using the train. so i conclude that many are leaving early to beat the car park queue and the bus queue too.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I think the point is if yopu need to leave early for whatever reason then fair enough. But dont use the trains as an excuse as its all been sorted now, bar one or two calamities like a fatality or a major signal failure. Also you NEED to go to say Leeds or Reading or Blackburn as getting back to the train station (or out the car park) is an absolute effing NAUSE. Then you will realise that generally the Amex transport is relatively spot on.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
im not convinced that most of those leaving early are just for the the trains. i'd be very interested to know the official numbers, but by my estimate you'll get 1000 passengers on an 8 car train - if your lucky (or unlucky, depending on seat/armpit proximity). given the 3 car trains down the line and 4-5 max an hour each way, there may well be less than 10k people realistically using the train. so i conclude that many are leaving early to beat the car park queue and the bus queue too.

I agree. I think some people are just programmed to leave early to avoid a rush whatever it is they do. It's the same when I'm in the UK office with folk buggering off at 15:55 to avoid whatever rush there is. Same with gigs, it's often noticeably less busy and crushed at the end. What is everyone rushing from?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Every week we see the same old faces leaving their seats early, but would they do the same in a West End theatre watching Le Mis or Jersey Boys?

I took Mrs B to see an opera once and – for a number of reasons – didn't return for the second half. However, I very rarely leave the football early – we're on a bus with a scheduled departure time, so why would we.

On this whole early leavers thing, two things stand out – 1) what difference does it REALLY make to anyone else; and 2) why do some people think that the North Stand is exempt from such behaviour (the family stand is typically the target on here)? I regularly see people rushing out of the North well before the end of the game.

Just imagine you left STRAIGHT after applauding the away supporters. Talk about public enemy number one :jester:

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
The Emirates was half empty at 85 mins today as well with the match in the balance.

As regards trains at the Amex, we left after the final whistle and were back in Lewes by 5.20. Well done Southern.

"Well done Southern"???? Really???

Still I suppose the fact that they cancelled all West Coastway trains meant they had more stock and staff to give you a wonderful service. Southern surely don't really deserve your praise for only running half a service on a matchday do they?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Guy Fawkes;7144107 What do those who think that the trains are a problem expect ? - an instant service where they are all lined up and as soon as one is filled said:
Well...actually running any kind of service would be a start!

Second season on the bounce that all train services on West Coastway have been cancelled because the railway numpties have scheduled work on a matchday.

One can only hope that the train company's incompetence and over-charging will bring re-nationalisation a day closer.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
"Well done Southern"???? Really???

Still I suppose the fact that they cancelled all West Coastway trains meant they had more stock and staff to give you a wonderful service. Southern surely don't really deserve your praise for only running half a service on a matchday do they?

No idea how they manage it..........(or mismanage it sometimes), or what the connections are like once past Brighton/Lewes and am only speaking for myself. I've seen enough of the dark side on working days going in and out of London for 20+ years though.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Is that 50 years of every home game?

No of course not I was just making the distinction that a customer is paying to be entertained so will leave early if that's not happening. A fan goes because it's their team despite the result, the entertainment, the weather or whatever.

I don't have an axe to grind either way but I prefer to stay to the very end because it's my team

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I assume you are West/North stand then and can get to the queue for trains quite quickly.
Walking from the SWC to the train station and joining the queue for Brighton then means a wait that is regularly over 30mins.
Swapping trains at Brighton to head west and there is regularly another 20-30 minute wait.

On a good day its not a bad journey, but regularly the queue to make the connection at Brighton is snaking around the whole station, there is no sense applied to the difference between the Hove shuttle and the trains that go on to other stations, so you can have yet another wait at Hove.

Midweek, doing this journey is extremely painful and frequently I have to abort the trains and walk down to Churchill Sq for a bus because it is going to be quicker.

No-one is saying that Southern should be able to empty Falmer in 5 mins... but it's not correct to suggest that people for whom travel can be an issue are mistaken.

Personally, I stay to the final whistle and accept the journey will be hit and miss, but I understand those who, for whatever reason, want avoid the risk of a sh*tty journey.

I agree with this. People who leave five minutes early can make the connection. Not me, ever.

It is the final 20 minutes waiting for the train going west that makes it a long day.

Incidentally, I caught the number 6 bus to Churchill Square and then the 700 going west without queuing and got home home 10 minutes earlier than ever before (even when the trains were good) on Saturday. And a seat as well. I might try it again?! Generally the journey was better (but buses do not always turn up on time). Conductor did not know about the Albion free travel.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I agree with this. People who leave five minutes early can make the connection. Not me, ever.

It is the final 20 minutes waiting for the train going west that makes it a long day.

Incidentally, I caught the number 6 bus to Churchill Square and then the 700 going west without queuing and got home home 10 minutes earlier than ever before (even when the trains were good) on Saturday. And a seat as well. I might try it again?! Generally the journey was better (but buses do not always turn up on time). Conductor did not know about the Albion free travel.

We picked up a #6 at churchill sq (plenty of options from there) heading to portslade station. Do it occasionally when there is a silly queue at the station.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports