Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Klopp bang on re early leavers.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
He is spot on totally

Gary1

Oct 25, 2013
I do, the issue isn't the trains it the ignorant fans who won't get on the first train that arrives, are you one?
No I'm not especially seeing as I park at Lewes for midweek games it doesn't matter which train I get in regards to it's destination. However the 22.05 Eastbourne train is always delayed and if I remember rightly the first train I've been able to get on this season is somewhere around 22.15 which is about 40 minutes after the game. I suppose it pisses me off more than others in the respect that I've been up since 04.00 for work and then will be again the next morning. Saturday's don't bother me as we generally see the other scores come in then wander down for the 18.03. The people on the gate do seem capable of cocking it up though - one game earlier in the season ( forget which one but it was midweek) they kept thegate locked until the train came in and then there wasn't enough time to open the gate and allow people to get on which meant the train left empty. When I asked them why they had done that they unbelievably said that they had to count how many people were on the incoming train so they knew how many of us lot they could let on. Not surprisingly they were met with hoots of derision from those around and thankfully that idea has been knocked on the head.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Well...actually running any kind of service would be a start!

Second season on the bounce that all train services on West Coastway have been cancelled because the railway numpties have scheduled work on a matchday.

One can only hope that the train company's incompetence and over-charging will bring re-nationalisation a day closer.

Engineering works are planned months and months in advance, most of the time probably before fixture lists are even drawn up. I'm no rail apologist, but they can't ALWAYS be expected to schedule their rail maintenance specifically around the needs of BHA fans.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Incidentally, I caught the number 6 bus to Churchill Square and then the 700 going west without queuing and got home home 10 minutes earlier than ever before (even when the trains were good) on Saturday. And a seat as well. I might try it again?! Generally the journey was better (but buses do not always turn up on time). Conductor did not know about the Albion free travel.

I nearly always shin it from Brighton station down to Churchill Square to pick up the 700 after the game. I can't be bothered with the scrum for the westbound rail link, which often ends up terminating at Hove, meaning more fannying about waiting for ANOTHER train. Those 700's run every 10 minutes or so, so you never have to wait very long. Evenings they run half-hourly, so if I just miss one, then I just go for a crafty pint in the Prince of Wales while I wait for the next one.

Some of their drivers still seem unaware about the matchday travel, but I've not had anything beyond the odd brief quizzical look and then an "ok mate".

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I get more annoyed with the masses that leave WSL from about 38 mins onwards to get, presumably, a half time drink. Stand up, sit down, stand up......f&@k off !

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'll leave when I like. For any reason I choose.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
I get more annoyed with the masses that leave WSL from about 38 mins onwards to get, presumably, a half time drink. Stand up, sit down, stand up......f&@k off !

Preston game i was watching and a lot were getting up on 32 minutes to go to the bar,
in fact i started counting and couldn't in the end because they were leaving at that time all over the ground absolutely pathetic,
sorry one of my pet hates at Albion and people leaving on 72 minutes etc.
If you allot your Saturday afternoon to watch your team but have something important enough to leave for so early then you really shouldn't be coming to footy on that particular day, I know I wouldn't.
If its that important you have to leave so early ????
Except its not is it ?
Its because no one has any patience at all to wait for anything anymore these days, all in too much of a ****ing rush.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Usually I'm anti leaving football early but it's an hour+ drive for me to get to the Mill Road car park on top of the bus ride to and from the car park to the game (and you have to be there by half 1 at the latest to get a space most of the time so accounting for traffic, I have to leave by middayish).

On top of this, I was in the queue for over an hour waiting for a bus to get back to the car park after the game at the weekend because I stayed until the end. That meant I didn't get home until gone 8 once traffic was accounted for. That's an 8 hour day for a 2 hour football match.

I've friends that are ST holders who also live by our group who leave on the 90 minute mark to ensure they get straight on the bus to miss the majority of the traffic. I'll be doing the same as them at the next home game. If people want to doubt my commitment to my team for leaving on the dot at 90 minutes, then so be it.

theboybilly

"Well done Southern"???? Really???

Still I suppose the fact that they cancelled all West Coastway trains meant they had more stock and staff to give you a wonderful service. Southern surely don't really deserve your praise for only running half a service on a matchday do they?

This will have been Network Rail's fault not Southern's. I'm sure NR will have an excuse as to why this work HAD to be done this weekend though.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Why not lock the stadium doors until 5 mins after full time. It would discourage people from leaving early and holding on to the fans and atmosphere until the end of the game would benefit the team.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Usually I'm anti leaving football early but it's an hour+ drive for me to get to the Mill Road car park on top of the bus ride to and from the car park to the game (and you have to be there by half 1 at the latest to get a space most of the time so accounting for traffic, I have to leave by middayish).

On top of this, I was in the queue for over an hour waiting for a bus to get back to the car park after the game at the weekend because I stayed until the end. That meant I didn't get home until gone 8 once traffic was accounted for. That's an 8 hour day for a 2 hour football match.

I've friends that are ST holders who also live by our group who leave on the 90 minute mark to ensure they get straight on the bus to miss the majority of the traffic. I'll be doing the same as them at the next home game. If people want to doubt my commitment to my team for leaving on the dot at 90 minutes, then so be it.

Was waiting for a fellow Mill Road park n rider to pop up on here. All been about the wonderful trains up to now. I had to be back in Sevenoaks (50 miles and just under an hour on a good day) asap after match on Saturday. Left WSU on 89 mins, back on my drive in Sevenoaks by 6.03.

Had I left at final whistle, back by probably 7/7.15, a wrecked evening and a very irate wife!

Miss the first wave of buses back to Mill Road and you are stuffed. Leaving on 89th/90th makes around an hour's difference for Mill Road. I often don't do that and suffer the wait but there are times when its unavoidable.

Makes me jealous of all these superfans who saunter out after final whistle and are home in no time!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Was waiting for a fellow Mill Road park n rider to pop up on here. All been about the wonderful trains up to now. I had to be back in Sevenoaks (50 miles and just under an hour on a good day) asap after match on Saturday. Left WSU on 89 mins, back on my drive in Sevenoaks by 6.03.

Had I left at final whistle, back by probably 7/7.15, a wrecked evening and a very irate wife!

Miss the first wave of buses back to Mill Road and you are stuffed. Leaving on 89th/90th makes around an hour's difference for Mill Road. I often don't do that and suffer the wait but there are times when its unavoidable.

Makes me jealous of all these superfans who saunter out after final whistle and are home in no time!

I understand that. Have used Mill Road a couple of times, but the queue is the opposite corner of the ground for me so if I stay until the end I'll always be near the back of it. Being almost in the NWC makes the station very close which helps a lot.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

An hour's difference? We leave from WSU right on fineal whistle for Mill Rd P&R. With the crowds lately we've always got the first wave but even when we didn't, wait is only about 15/20 minutes at most.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/nov/09/english-football-early-leaving-syndrome

English football and the strange phenomenon of early-leaving syndrome

Amy Lawrence

Monday 9 November 2015 13.51 GMT Last modified on Monday 9 November 2015 18.19 GMT

It was hard not to read Jürgen Klopp’s dismay at the sight of Liverpool fans heading early for the exits as something of a culture shock. His bewilderment was understandable having worked all of his managerial life until joining Liverpool at Mainz and Borussia Dortmund, clubs whose fans have a reputation for sticking around until the bitter end whatever the circumstances.

The situation was especially weird for Klopp on two fronts. First of all early leaver syndrome, when it does occasionally crop up in Germany, takes place only in the luxury, expensive seats, whereas at Anfield the departees took part in a more general trudge. Second, with the game still close and the result in the balance, walking out just felt unexplainable. Anything could still happen. So what were they thinking?

More on this topicJürgen Klopp: ‘I felt pretty alone when Liverpool fans were leaving’

Perhaps they were thinking what some people have been thinking for years. Mike Selvey, the former cricketer and esteemed correspondent of this newspaper, tells a tale about how his father missed the defining moments of the 1966 World Cup final. He was, as Selvey tells it, “a very straight bloke, liked everything orderly. He didn’t like the hassle of queues and things.” And so with five minutes to go of the World Cup final at Wembley, he left, with England 2-1 up, so as to avoid the commotion as he loathed the wayward rush of a crowd. He missed West Germany’s equaliser, extra time, Geoff Hurst’s think-it’s-all-over-it-is-now goal, and the award of the Jules Rimet trophy. But he did well in the getting home stakes.

Early-leaver syndrome tends, historically, to afflict those who are either seriously peeved about an inept performance or those who spent quite a lot of any second half worrying about masses of people, claustrophobic transport, endless traffic jams. I recall as a child being taken to matches and feeling an overwhelming sense of hot shame at not being able to stand my ground until the end, when the adult who had taken me wanted out before the crowds. It felt both unfathomable and disloyal. The early sneak out. What a nightmare. Why would anybody want to go when it meant such a lot to come in the first place?

A small percentage of any crowd will always have a perfectly sensible reason to leave – sometimes you take your chances to watch most of a game knowing you have to get to an unmissable event elsewhere and figure watching 80 minutes or so is better than none at all. I once took the dreaded head-down “scuse me” scurry along my row towards the exit as I had a young baby and it was approaching feeding time. I thought I might give myself a break to come to a bit of a game. But no excuses! Somebody in the row barked with such disgust and suspicion they apparently wanted to dunk me in a pond to see if I was an actual witch for committing such a cardinal sin.

The trend for a mini-exodus towards the latter stages of a game, rather than the odd soul, has become more prominent in recent years in the Premier League.

At the same time as Klopp was surveying the early leavers at Liverpool, the empty seats began to show at the Emirates at the climax of a close derby. It is the oddest phenomenon. In both matches the games were on an edge that could have gone either way. Surely the whole point of going to watch sport is the uncertainty, the possibility of unlikely twists and late stings. The unscripted drama is sport’s essential appeal.

Would you leave a play during the final soliloquy? Would you leave a meal after two mouthfuls of dessert? So why leave a tight game unfinished?

It has become a characteristic that is more prominent in English football – and let’s not kid anyone, this doesn’t only happen at Anfield and the Emirates, it happens at every Premier League ground – than the majority of big European leagues. In Germany the fan’s condition has become a model for the rest of us to look at admiringly. The tickets are cheap, the choreography is impressive, the noise is excellent, the transport options well organised.

All in all it lends itself to a sense of belonging, of somehow being able to take part in the spectacle. In England it seems like a greater percentage of the crowd feel more like observers rather than participants in the event. Paradoxically, the more expensive the ticket, the likelier the early leaver.

Expensive tickets, thoughtless kick-off times, and commonplace transport difficulties have made the fan’s condition that much trickier.

A quick enquiry to some football correspondents abroad suggests this problem is not so common elsewhere. Although La Liga also has its share of late arrivals and speedy exiters, and Ajax and Bayern have a portion who head off for a quick escape, generally in Germany, Italy, the Netherlands and France the overwhelming view is that supporting the players no matter what – particularly when there is something at stake – and being there to either protest or applaud those on the field at the end, still retains a sort of sacred value.

Klopp should not be the only one to lament that.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes

Have you tried driving to Lewes? I reckon you could stay to the end, clap the team off and be home by 630 at the latest. It's also about 12 miles shorter driving each way so you'd save a chunk of petrol, and you wouldn't have to leave home so early to make Mill Road by 130.

Either park for free in Malling, Lewes near the 28 bus stop or if you want to know a free place to park 3 mins walk from Lewes station then PM me.

PG

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/nov/09/english-football-early-leaving-syndrome

English football and the strange phenomenon of early-leaving syndrome

Amy Lawrence

Monday 9 November 2015 13.51 GMT Last modified on Monday 9 November 2015 18.19 GMT

It was hard not to read Jürgen Klopp’s dismay at the sight of Liverpool fans heading early for the exits as something of a culture shock. His bewilderment was understandable having worked all of his managerial life until joining Liverpool at Mainz and Borussia Dortmund, clubs whose fans have a reputation for sticking around until the bitter end whatever the circumstances.

The situation was especially weird for Klopp on two fronts. First of all early leaver syndrome, when it does occasionally crop up in Germany, takes place only in the luxury, expensive seats, whereas at Anfield the departees took part in a more general trudge. Second, with the game still close and the result in the balance, walking out just felt unexplainable. Anything could still happen. So what were they thinking?

More on this topicJürgen Klopp: ‘I felt pretty alone when Liverpool fans were leaving’

Perhaps they were thinking what some people have been thinking for years. Mike Selvey, the former cricketer and esteemed correspondent of this newspaper, tells a tale about how his father missed the defining moments of the 1966 World Cup final. He was, as Selvey tells it, “a very straight bloke, liked everything orderly. He didn’t like the hassle of queues and things.” And so with five minutes to go of the World Cup final at Wembley, he left, with England 2-1 up, so as to avoid the commotion as he loathed the wayward rush of a crowd. He missed West Germany’s equaliser, extra time, Geoff Hurst’s think-it’s-all-over-it-is-now goal, and the award of the Jules Rimet trophy. But he did well in the getting home stakes.

Early-leaver syndrome tends, historically, to afflict those who are either seriously peeved about an inept performance or those who spent quite a lot of any second half worrying about masses of people, claustrophobic transport, endless traffic jams. I recall as a child being taken to matches and feeling an overwhelming sense of hot shame at not being able to stand my ground until the end, when the adult who had taken me wanted out before the crowds. It felt both unfathomable and disloyal. The early sneak out. What a nightmare. Why would anybody want to go when it meant such a lot to come in the first place?

A small percentage of any crowd will always have a perfectly sensible reason to leave – sometimes you take your chances to watch most of a game knowing you have to get to an unmissable event elsewhere and figure watching 80 minutes or so is better than none at all. I once took the dreaded head-down “scuse me” scurry along my row towards the exit as I had a young baby and it was approaching feeding time. I thought I might give myself a break to come to a bit of a game. But no excuses! Somebody in the row barked with such disgust and suspicion they apparently wanted to dunk me in a pond to see if I was an actual witch for committing such a cardinal sin.

The trend for a mini-exodus towards the latter stages of a game, rather than the odd soul, has become more prominent in recent years in the Premier League.

At the same time as Klopp was surveying the early leavers at Liverpool, the empty seats began to show at the Emirates at the climax of a close derby. It is the oddest phenomenon. In both matches the games were on an edge that could have gone either way. Surely the whole point of going to watch sport is the uncertainty, the possibility of unlikely twists and late stings. The unscripted drama is sport’s essential appeal.

Would you leave a play during the final soliloquy? Would you leave a meal after two mouthfuls of dessert? So why leave a tight game unfinished?

It has become a characteristic that is more prominent in English football – and let’s not kid anyone, this doesn’t only happen at Anfield and the Emirates, it happens at every Premier League ground – than the majority of big European leagues. In Germany the fan’s condition has become a model for the rest of us to look at admiringly. The tickets are cheap, the choreography is impressive, the noise is excellent, the transport options well organised.

All in all it lends itself to a sense of belonging, of somehow being able to take part in the spectacle. In England it seems like a greater percentage of the crowd feel more like observers rather than participants in the event. Paradoxically, the more expensive the ticket, the likelier the early leaver.

Expensive tickets, thoughtless kick-off times, and commonplace transport difficulties have made the fan’s condition that much trickier.

A quick enquiry to some football correspondents abroad suggests this problem is not so common elsewhere. Although La Liga also has its share of late arrivals and speedy exiters, and Ajax and Bayern have a portion who head off for a quick escape, generally in Germany, Italy, the Netherlands and France the overwhelming view is that supporting the players no matter what – particularly when there is something at stake – and being there to either protest or applaud those on the field at the end, still retains a sort of sacred value.

Klopp should not be the only one to lament that.

Amy is bang on, 100% correct.

PG

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Have you tried driving to Lewes? I reckon you could stay to the end, clap the team off and be home by 630 at the latest. It's also about 12 miles shorter driving each way so you'd save a chunk of petrol, and you wouldn't have to leave home so early to make Mill Road by 130.

Either park for free in Malling, Lewes near the 28 bus stop or if you want to know a free place to park 3 mins walk from Lewes station then PM me.

PG
Shhhh, don't tell everyone how easy the trip is this way.....!

Stumpy Tim

I'm a Mill Roader, and I take my 4 year old boy. I'm not risking forcing my 4 year old to stand in a queue for an hour to get home, so I'll leave on 89 minutes thanks. Love the holier than thou comments on here on this subject every couple of weeks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here