Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Klopp bang on re early leavers.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Every week we see the same old faces leaving their seats early, but would they do the same in a West End theatre watching Le Mis or Jersey Boys?

Yes if the play was shit and they knew the ending anyway. (No excuse if the play is good though)

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
If someone would sort the ****ing train joke out then more people would stay, simple as.

Ridiculous.

We leave from the WSU South End after every game and never have to wait more than about 10-15 minutes for a train. Please do let us know the other public events you regularly attend where 15 - 20,000 people spill out at the same time and you don't have to wait for a bit.

Would be interesting to see how the persistent early leaver would feel if they gave staying a go. It may be better than they think.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
5_0 and you can't go home.

Sort of the point I was making really. Nobody left early, we couldn't.

Afraid I did. 54th minute if I recall, when the 5th goal went in and I couldn't stand watching another minute of a passionless and gutless performance by the Albion. Never left as early as that before or since. We leave the Amex on the final whistle, use Mill Rd P&R and are home within the hour. On the few occasions we do go by train we stay and have a drink before heading off to the station.

Discodoktor

Apr 28, 2011
Guildford
Hi is a thread about leaving early. Great!!!

I leave early every match because of transport reasons.

I also don't always finish my dinner.

I'm a rebel that's how I fly!!!!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Try going east after a midweek game

Usually back in Lewes by10.15/20 and home about 10.45. This Saturday, we left after the final whistle, wandered down to the station, straight on to the platform and train arrived within 1-2 mins. Simply couldn't have been any quicker.

Part of the perception at the Amex is due to the time spent in the queue I reckon - it might be 15 mins (very rarely any more than that for going to Lewes at least, and looking across, by that time the Brighton-bound queues seem to have largely gone as well), but you're in the queue almost immediately after exiting the ground which is quite unusual. Most other grounds you're walking for as long as that before you even get the the transport so you might feel like you're not waiting as long.

The Amex transport myth is a bit of a stigma - widely perceived to be crap (probably from the early days), it simply isn't most of the time in my experience. I don't get to as many away games as I'd like, but I can't think of an easier place to get away from where the capacity is similar.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I can only assume that people leaving early for "transport issue" reasons don't attend many away fixtures. If they did they'd be saying "we're so lucky you can stay 'til the end at the Amex and get home in reasonable time as opposed to *insert name of any number of clubs*.

Its probably the same people that say about our lack of atmosphere. I say again these reputed cauldrons of noise ARE JUST NOT THERE. The Amex is one of the best in the division.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Its probably the same people that say about our lack of atmosphere. I say again these reputed cauldrons of noise ARE JUST NOT THERE. The Amex is one of the best in the division.

It's not just this division - loads of the prem games (not including local derbies), with bigger crowds, on TV are deathly quiet for large parts of the game

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I always chuckle at the folk who claim the Goldstone was this seething cauldron of noise as well. Then wonder where I can buy a pair of their rose specs.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I've been an Amex STH since its opening, but haven't used the trains until this season due to the stories and the sight of the queues as I fly past on my bike. As I've moved out a little further west I've now tried the trains - I can't believe the moaning! I now tend to leave on the final whistle and fly onto a train within 20 minutes. So far in my experience, a great service.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
This is not (another) thread about whether or not you have the right to leave the Amex early. Klopp said that by leaving early when behind, the fans diminish the chances of an equaliser. I'm entirely with him on that one.

I've been going to games for 44 years, in part to share in the team's performance, win, lose or draw and in a very small way to try and help influence that. Leaving early would undermine that, for me. Others will have their own views - they may trade off their own convenience of a swift getaway against the inconvenience to those you make get up; the chances of missing a goal or good play; and, the negative impact on the overall atmosphere, that does nothing to help the team in the final stages of the match. What Klopp is saying is that the last effect can be significant, and I agree.

PG

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Have all you "I leave on the final whistle, and trains are fine for me" people considered that they're fine for you because other people have left early and have already got on trains?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Have all you "I leave on the final whistle, and trains are fine for me" people considered that they're fine for you because other people have left early and have already got on trains?

Yep. Thanks to all of them of course, but it's not helping the team.........
Without the early leavers I reckon I'd have to wait for one more train to go through - so another 10 mins typically. It's still very good.

Interesting watching the Arsenal/Spurs game yesterday - 1:1, chances at both ends and result in the balance against biggest rivals, yet thousands of empty seats on 85 mins.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Some near us left 15-mins before the end yesterday, why bother turning up ??

A choice they make ...What is the problem..I`ve noticed it is mainly the older people who presumably want to get to station or on bus before the rush at game end...I think 15 mins is a bit of an exageration most leavers around us go around 85 mins so prob 8 mins early. Not happened yet this season but if we are two up or two down , I`m happy to leave on 88 mins to avoid the rush.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Ahh, the myth that the trains are an issue.

This all came about because of one midweek evening cup game where they announced that there was a limited service (probably due to the unexpected and therefore unplanned game because it was a cup game) and that it could take longer to get away than normal.

Ever since, lots of people leave early, thinking that there would be the same lack of trains again but the reality is that the service is very good considering how many fans that use them after the match.

How many other events are there where there would be similar passenger numbers expected to use the trains (10k to 20k fans a game?) and how many tend to get away those numbers usually within about 30 mins of joining the queue and often a lot less?

What do those who think that the trains are a problem expect ? - an instant service where they are all lined up and as soon as one is filled, the next pulls into the station and everyone is gone within 5 minutes? - It will always be seen as a problem if expectations are impossible

I assume you are West/North stand then and can get to the queue for trains quite quickly.
Walking from the SWC to the train station and joining the queue for Brighton then means a wait that is regularly over 30mins.
Swapping trains at Brighton to head west and there is regularly another 20-30 minute wait.

On a good day its not a bad journey, but regularly the queue to make the connection at Brighton is snaking around the whole station, there is no sense applied to the difference between the Hove shuttle and the trains that go on to other stations, so you can have yet another wait at Hove.

Midweek, doing this journey is extremely painful and frequently I have to abort the trains and walk down to Churchill Sq for a bus because it is going to be quicker.

No-one is saying that Southern should be able to empty Falmer in 5 mins... but it's not correct to suggest that people for whom travel can be an issue are mistaken.

Personally, I stay to the final whistle and accept the journey will be hit and miss, but I understand those who, for whatever reason, want avoid the risk of a sh*tty journey.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I`m happy to leave on 88 mins to avoid the rush.

Avoid the rush? But it would appear the rush starts at 88 mins.

I leave about 10-15 mins after final whistle.....absolutely no rush then and I see out the game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here