Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Keeping Cats Out of Gardens

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
this is the trouble wild animals are better protected in law than pets
EG:- you can abuse and neglect a pet and get a slap on the wrist, any such abuse to a wild animal and they are down on you like a ton of bricks

Depends on the wild animal in concern, if my Patterdale strays down a badger sett and kills a badger he will be destroyed and i will be prosecuted, your ****ing cats can kill as many song birds as they like and no one will say a word , the law in this country is totally ****ed up at evey level

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
And how does a cat owner tell a cat that it can't go into a neighbours garden?

I've no idea but if they can't do it then it's not a suitable pet in my opinion.

Edit - just to clarify, it should be ultimately the owner's responsibility to find a way if necessary.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
I've no idea but if they can't do it then it's not a suitable pet in my opinion.

Edit - just to clarify, it should be ultimately the owner's responsibility to find a way if necessary.

Out of control dogs are shot every day by farmers and quite rightly so, why should cats be different

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I once had an offending cat use my garden as a toilet. What I did was to snare it and drive it twenty three miles away and let it go. Unfortunately the shit bag turned up five weeks later.

Sorry :down: but we had to get rid of it as it had started to use our garden as a toilet :rant:

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Just a joke :thumbsup: I actually own a cat myself!

Where is the line drawn though? If i found rat droppings in my garden I could take action to kill them. If I was to trap a fox or badger or snake and remove it to a location at a distance (provided I did it safely and within the confines of the law) it would potentially be ok. But I have to put up with someone's cat because they are my neighbour and it is "theirs".

(Wouln't want to kill any cats btw, just to be clear).

problem is what to you class as a pest
people feed grey squirrels, pidgeons, seagulls some intentionally others by throwing their unwanted take-aways in the road, then you see the same people trying to kick them.
see you say rat droppings ................is it a wild rat or someones escaped pet
see what I mean it like how long is a piece of string, its one of those things that has to be sorted by law,but there is nobody willing to try and sort it out.
microchipping every pet would go a long way to sorting things

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
problem is what to you class as a pest
people feed grey squirrels, pidgeons, seagulls some intentionally others by throwing their unwanted take-aways in the road, then you see the same people trying to kick them.
see you say rat droppings ................is it a wild rat or someones escaped pet
see what I mean it like how long is a piece of string, its one of those things that has to be sorted by law,but there is nobody willing to try and sort it out.
microchipping every pet would go a long way to sorting things

Totally, and if this conversation proves anything, it's that what seems totally logical in terms of rules/boundaries to some seems completely wrong to others.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

Cats have been domestic animals since 7500 BC and they haven't found a way to do it yet so i when it comes to being able to train them any time soon, i wouldn't hold your breath

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Out of control dogs are shot every day by farmers and quite rightly so, why should cats be different

probably because cats don't maul sheep
Ah the old cats killing songbirds theory, nothing to do with farmers ploughing in the hedgerows, and using chemicals then

Ah the old cats killing songbirds theory, nothing to do with farmers ploughing in the hedgerows, and using chemicals then

I'm a cat owner, but there is quite a bit of evidence about how cats are depleting the songbirds of this country. Yes farmers not managing land is a major factor but they have other things to worry about.

As for Mutts, he's just baiting you, he always does when these threads come up and you bite every time.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Cats have been domestic animals since 7500 BC and they haven't found a way to do it yet so i when it comes to being able to train them any time soon, i wouldn't hold your breath

you have met my cats then :lolol:
and as for killing the songbirds bit my lazy bar stewards don't get off the ground
its mice for them all the way

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011

Would you consider muzzling your cat to protect your local song bird population, as responsible owners of dogs considered to be dangerous do

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Where is the line drawn though? If i found rat droppings in my garden I could take action to kill them. If I was to trap a fox or badger or snake and remove it to a location at a distance (provided I did it safely and within the confines of the law) it would potentially be ok. But I have to put up with someone's cat because they are my neighbour and it is "theirs".

(Wouln't want to kill any cats btw, just to be clear).

What would you do if protected wild (song)birds were crapping in your garden, you'd ignore it and accept it as a part of everyday life. You could try to limit it (scarecrows, etc) but probably won't eliminate it completely so maybe you have to accept that cats are probably gonna crap in your garden too and you can try to limit it with things like lions poo but nothings foolproof

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
See my issue you though? You might find that fun and exciting, but I don't. And if you want to spend money and time cleaning up shit because they are "great pets", then again that's fine for you. But I don't want to. I just don't see why someone else liking cats means I should have to put up with them as well.

Edit - this was meant to be in reply to Don Quixote, no idea how to retrospectively add a quote.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Dear wisdom of NSC - how do you keep people's cats out of your garden?

Personally I hate cats, and I'm also mildly allergic to them (if I am really up close I start sneezing). As a result, I don't own one and don't want one. However, apparently all my neighbours do, and therefore they are allowed free range of my garden - and most recently have decided to use my very hard-worked slate/pot-plant area as a litter tray. I find this quite bizarre, as I'm pretty sure ANY other pet wouldn't be allowed to do this. For instance, I'd like a dog, but if I let it run around everyone else's garden I'm pretty sure they'd have something to say.

I know garden centres sell various stuff, but I can imagine a lot of it is a load of rubbish and doesn't work. Anyone got any tips? Personally I'd like to just throw them back over the fence till they learn, but I can understand that isn't really very PC (joke, before someone massively overreacts).

Cricket ball usually does the trick

I detest cats and don't see why because one of my neighbours decides to have one then I do. The argument of 'they are ferrel animals...' Doesn't cut it with me. If that's the case don't keep it as a pet!

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
What would you do if protected wild (song)birds were crapping in your garden, you'd ignore it and accept it as a part of everyday life. You could try to limit it (scarecrows, etc) but probably won't eliminate it completely so maybe you have to accept that cats are probably gonna crap in your garden too and you can try to limit it with things like lions poo but nothings foolproof

But those are indigenous birds that go where they like and are there because they are there. The cats are there because someone down the road enjoys petting them occasionally. They have been introduced to my garden (indirectly) by a human being.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I'm a cat owner, but there is quite a bit of evidence about how cats are depleting the songbirds of this country. Yes farmers not managing land is a major factor but they have other things to worry about.

As for Mutts, he's just baiting you, he always does when these threads come up and you bite every time.

maybe its my cats
in the last 10 years mine as far as I know have not taken any birds (we have had no presents)
sorry I am wrong Squeak (now deceased) bought us a very flat starling that had been dead some time(run over on the road we suspect).
we have always had a bird table and they might sit and watch, and maybe we are lucky
now mice we have had piles of them, and in Wales we had loads of rats as well, and masses of dragonflies

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here