Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Keeping Cats Out of Gardens

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
this is where the law falls down
the only way you can claim ownership of a cat is if it is microchipped otherwise it is literally anyones
I have campaigned for decades to have the law changed and have every pet whatever it is to be microchipped, this may then end a lot of the trouble like this.
it might be worth speaking to your neigbour it won't stop this happening, but if he is like me he/she will come round and clear up the mess.

thats very interesting - something i never knew before - and that gives a couple of very interesting ideas........

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
this is where the law falls down
the only way you can claim ownership of a cat is if it is microchipped otherwise it is literally anyones
I have campaigned for decades to have the law changed and have every pet whatever it is to be microchipped, this may then end a lot of the trouble like this.
it might be worth speaking to your neigbour it won't stop this happening, but if he is like me he/she will come round and clear up the mess.

I'd imagine this would be a plan, but I've no idea who the specific owner is, or even the culprit cat-wise, as I see several different ones. They don't belong to the immediate neighbours either side. Also it seems to happen mostly at night, although I do quite fancy a good old "stake-out" with a supersoaker.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Dear wisdom of NSC - how do you keep people's cats out of your garden?

Personally I hate cats, and I'm also mildly allergic to them (if I am really up close I start sneezing). As a result, I don't own one and don't want one. However, apparently all my neighbours do, and therefore they are allowed free range of my garden - and most recently have decided to use my very hard-worked slate/pot-plant area as a litter tray. I find this quite bizarre, as I'm pretty sure ANY other pet wouldn't be allowed to do this. For instance, I'd like a dog, but if I let it run around everyone else's garden I'm pretty sure they'd have something to say.

I know garden centres sell various stuff, but I can imagine a lot of it is a load of rubbish and doesn't work. Anyone got any tips? Personally I'd like to just throw them back over the fence till they learn, but I can understand that isn't really very PC (joke, before someone massively overreacts).

I think cats dislike citrus, so lemon or orande peel could work. Some sonic devices claim to work but have produced mixed results but the only foolproof method is to move to a top storey flat without a garden

I have a very old cat who is quite infirm now, so infirm in fact that she has given up leaving the garden as she can't get over the fence anymore.

She has taken to shitting all over my lawn and in my vegetable patch, karma I suppose.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
We recently had a cat appear in the garden which was looking very thin and lost. We found the owner and they lived about 23 miles away and the cat had been missing for 5 weeks. Therefore cats are semi wild as they are able to survive in cases like this, could a dog?

straight answer is no
there was a documentary a while ago about how animals would survive if humans suddenly disappeared, cats would by climbing high, dogs would hunt in packs anything that was small including some older animals including other dogs

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
We recently had a cat appear in the garden which was looking very thin and lost. We found the owner and they lived about 23 miles away and the cat had been missing for 5 weeks. Therefore cats are semi wild as they are able to survive in cases like this, could a dog?

That's not remotely my point though. My point is that the law seems very convenient for cat owners. In my opinion, they either belong to someone, and in that case should be under the owner's control. Or, they are wild animals, in which case they can be treated in the same way that other wild animals (and pests at that) can be.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Had a big problem wirh cats up until last summer.
Bought one of those movement-sensitive water sprayers that attach to your outside tap.
Never had a problem since.
Only cost £25 too.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011

Personally I hate cats, and I'm also mildly allergic to them (if I am really up close I start sneezing). As a result, I don't own one and don't want one. However, apparently all my neighbours do, and therefore they are allowed free range of my garden - and most recently have decided to use my very hard-worked slate/pot-plant area as a litter tray. I find this quite bizarre, as I'm pretty sure ANY other pet wouldn't be allowed to do this. For instance, I'd like a dog, but if I let it run around everyone else's garden I'm pretty sure they'd have something to say.

I know garden centres sell various stuff, but I can imagine a lot of it is a load of rubbish and doesn't work. Anyone got any tips? Personally I'd like to just throw them back over the fence till they learn, but I can understand that isn't really very PC (joke, before someone massively overreacts).

You can borrow my Patterdale X Glenn of imaal he ****ing loves cats

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I had exactly the same problem. New neighbours moved in and a cat decided to use my borders for a Brad Pitt. With 2 young kids I needed to nip this in the bud quick.

I bought an electronic thing off Amazon for 15 quid. 4 AA batteries and if it senses anything in a 7m range it sends out a high pitched noise which you can't hear but the cat does. Haven't seen it since (nor any other living creature for that matter though)

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I think cats dislike citrus, so lemon or orande peel could work. Some sonic devices claim to work but have produced mixed results but the only foolproof method is to move to a top storey flat without a garden

sonic devices always brings a smile
the stray tom that used to come into our garden in Wales used to walk through the garden next door and they spent money on one of these devices
we :rotlf: as he stared at it for a while then proceeded to pee all over it.
the bloke had two box plants and if you know anything about gardening they smell of tom cats ...........it drove him mad ......I did not tell him this little jewel of info as it was a never ending source of entertainment

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
I once had an offending cat use my garden as a toilet. What I did was to snare it and drive it twenty three miles away and let it go. Unfortunately the shit bag turned up five weeks later.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011

If it`s in your garden and out of it`s owners control killing songbirds which are protected shoot it, it`s ferral

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
That's not remotely my point though. My point is that the law seems very convenient for cat owners. In my opinion, they either belong to someone, and in that case should be under the owner's control. Or, they are wild animals, in which case they can be treated in the same way that other wild animals (and pests at that) can be.

this is the trouble wild animals are better protected in law than pets
EG:- you can abuse and neglect a pet and get a slap on the wrist, any such abuse to a wild animal and they are down on you like a ton of bricks

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
this is the trouble wild animals are better protected in law than pets
EG:- you can abuse and neglect a pet and get a slap on the wrist, any such abuse to a wild animal and they are down on you like a ton of bricks

Where is the line drawn though? If i found rat droppings in my garden I could take action to kill them. If I was to trap a fox or badger or snake and remove it to a location at a distance (provided I did it safely and within the confines of the law) it would potentially be ok. But I have to put up with someone's cat because they are my neighbour and it is "theirs".

(Wouln't want to kill any cats btw, just to be clear).

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We need another paddling pool for the kids, as the neighbours cats have destroyed another one. We have a dog, but as soon as the dog is indoors the cats roam free. I might try this lion shit. Otherwise I think I'll resort to a super soaker with washing up liquid in.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

And how does a cat owner tell a cat that it can't go into a neighbours garden?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here