Votes: 59 40.4%
  • No

Votes: 87 59.6%

• Total voters

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Shame it inly shows the 'Other 14'. It would be good to see the figures for the likes of Ederson and Allison ...... and Sanchez .......................
The second image I shared has the full league. Bart's top, Sanchez 2nd, Steele 3rd.

Ederson 5th, Alisson 7th.

20230916_084721.jpg

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
I was a goalkeeprr and have coached goalkeepers and I AM for rotation. Like all players goalkeepers are stronger in some ways than other... everyone talks about distribution but what bout reflexes, coming for crosses etc. So it's logical to assume that you look at our opposition and decide where the danger is and pick the goalkeeper most likely to block it. It's not rocket science.

In this day and age with form more closely examined and injuries more common you need a strong second keeper and you won't keep him if you don't give him games.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The second image I shared has the full league. Bart's top, Sanchez 2nd, Steele 3rd.

Ederson 5th, Alisson 7th.

View attachment 166516
Apologies - didn't notice that. Interesting though - makes me wonder the real reason behind de Zerbi's urgent need to bin off Sanchez. He seems to actually be very good with his feet, comparable with Steele and Verbruggen.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Apologies - didn't notice that. Interesting though - makes me wonder the real reason behind de Zerbi's urgent need to bin off Sanchez. He seems to actually be very good with his feet, comparable with Steele and Verbruggen.
Did he bin him off? I thought he rotated him and expected him to fight for position. Maybe Sanchez didn’t have the ticker for it or he missed Roberts the coach or any number of things. Roberto has said he wants 2 goalies to challenge for No 1.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
We are very fortunate to have two first choice keepers and playing both in rotation makes perfect sense many a time when a teams only first choice keeper picks up an injury the poor stand in comes with almost no game time

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Wouldnt it make sense for RDZ to select the keepeer he feels is best suited to the type of game he expects to be played, and this will depend on what he expects the opposition to do,In the same way he selects every other player in the side.

I read his quote not as him rotating the keepers in the strictest sense, eg one game each, or two games each then swap, but more i expect them to play about 50% each, but it will depend on the opposition, so one may get an extended run, then miss a couple then back in for one etc

As long as the team are confident with both keepers, then there seems no reason not to do this. It keeps both keepers playing, the outfield players used to playing with both.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Did he bin him off? I thought he rotated him and expected him to fight for position. Maybe Sanchez didn’t have the ticker for it or he missed Roberts the coach or any number of things. Roberto has said he wants 2 goalies to challenge for No 1.
Well, you've got your ideas/questions, I've got mine!

I do wonder, though, how long it will take the Chelsea entitled to realise that they actually got a pretty good GK at a very reasonable price - a long way from being a derisory 'third choice GK from a #teamlikeBrighton'!!

Last edited:

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
In the summer we had 3 very good options for keeper. No other side has regularly rotated keepers in my lifetime so it could be another RDZ master stroke. Bart & Steele both very capable with their feet and have slightly different strengths so as long as they are performing at the required level then why not.

This also minimises the impact of one retiring/moving on as any replacement can build his minutes until ready. If it works it will be brilliant

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
I think what we saw at the start of the rotation was giving an opportunity to Verbruggen.

Now the Europa is starting, I expect to see Steele for the league, Bart in the Europa (and LC). Seems sensible in hindsight to not throw a new goalie in for the Europa league without a little game experience for us.

Now I think it'll be Steele league, Bart in the cups, and we can reassess as the season progresses.

Utterly sensible if this is the case.

I would love to see Steele play at least one group stage game though, as a reward. Because he's played a huge part getting us there.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Bart is our number one now. Won't see much of Jason outside of the bench and cup games.
Within a matter of hours this aged beautifully 🤣

Faultless today Steeley - utter class.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Bart is our number one now. Won't see much of Jason outside of the bench and cup games.
Always put in ‘quite probably’ on these comments… I do think things will change over the next year but only if Dutchy is a far better shot stopper. Steele is a modern keeper.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I was a goalkeeprr and have coached goalkeepers and I AM for rotation. Like all players goalkeepers are stronger in some ways than other... everyone talks about distribution but what bout reflexes, coming for crosses etc. So it's logical to assume that you look at our opposition and decide where the danger is and pick the goalkeeper most likely to block it. It's not rocket science.

In this day and age with form more closely examined and injuries more common you need a strong second keeper and you won't keep him if you don't give him games.
Have to admit, I was sceptical about the rotation, as it's rarely done. But RDZ breaks conventions, and it seems to be working well at the moment, so I'm coming round.

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020

Exactly the same for me, I was a good keeper at youth level before becoming disillusioned and leaving 11 a side since.

There's so many facets of play for a keeper that it makes sense to rotate based on opposition.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here