• Yes

Votes: 59 40.4%
  • No

Votes: 87 59.6%

• Total voters

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Yes, rotating outfield players depending on the opposition is something I’ve long felt our managers should do. Why not keepers?

Teams with big aggressive players relying on hoofs or crosses play Bart as he appears to be better at taking crosses under pressure…from what little I’ve seen. Going for a ball with Soucek and coming out on top was impressive and not convinced Jason would have got the same outcome. Just a feeling, haven’t seen enough of him to state it as a fact.

Anyway, yes, if RDZ thinks it’s an option I’m in.

Luckily Jason appears to be a player who accepts his lot, is Bart?

Jason did nothing wrong in the first two games, not convinced Bart did yesterday. Are people really blaming Dunk and Webster underperforming on a change of keeper? Don’t see it myself :shrug:
I thought the change of keeper changed our style. We had a lot of possession but I didn’t see the keeper at the pivot of starting attacks in the same way as Steele plays. Admittedly I was watching in a pub at a distance from the screen so could be wrong.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I thought the change of keeper changed our style. We had a lot of possession but I didn’t see the keeper at the pivot of starting attacks in the same way as Steele plays. Admittedly I was watching in a pub at a distance from the screen so could be wrong.
We weren’t pressed so not really many options to play like that

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Maybe we thought West Ham offered more of an Ariel threat and that Bart was best to deal with that. I can't say either have given me any concerns during the 3 games so far and I'm certain Verbruggen is our long term plan

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Think it could be a step forward in tactical management personally.

With our style of play, our keepers are involved in a lot more active ball time/beginning of attack sequences as well as coping with higher risks at the back - RDZ clearly uses keepers in a way that has not really been typical in the modern PL game and is now perhaps looking to have a diversity of skills in our keepers as well as a physical longevity through the season that can give us a squad advantage over teams who only have one no1 and a substitute?

Now we have a deeper squad, challenging for Europe and a manager who wants to challenge in all competitions with equal commitment- it makes sense to me to rotate keepers if only to keep both equally match fit and to be able to make tactical tweaks to suit our opposition based on individual strengths of the keepers. The only stumbling block in that scenario is relying on two top keepers willing to share match time over the course of the season. But that’s what every player in the squad will have to cope with this season more so than ever before, why should keepers be immune and assume their position inoculates them from having to compete for their place?

I don’t necessarily agree with the argument that defenders more than any other position need consistently the same players around them or the same stopper each match, all they need to do is trust that the one that is, is going to get the job done and they know how to communicate with each other - that’s what practice and training is for imo and why each team we next play, and depending on whether it’s home or away will determine who the manager puts in the starting line up, how he shapes the field and consideration of particular strengths and preferences of individual squad players - not least having a line up that makes allowances for fatigue and injury and schedule.

Like I said, it could be a step forward in tactical management but who can see into the mind of RDZ?

(I thought Bart did OK yesterday as a debut although part of me was left wondering if Steele would have come out off his line earlier with greater effect in stopping at least one of the 3 goals we conceded .)

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Once upon a time, Ron Greenwood rotated Ray Clemance and Peter Shilton in alternate England games because he couldn't decide who was the better keeper.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It’s been talked about a lot in the media recently with Arsenal signing Raya alongside Ramsdale and the consensus has been sharing the keeper role doesn’t work and you need an established order.
reckon this is to do with confidence, reaction if they make a mistake. if the keeper knows they'll be rotated thats not so much a problem. likewise defence familarity with two keepers, if they are training with both interchangably should negate problems.

it does feel a bit experimental but we've had a lot of that with De Zerbi.

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
Yes, rotating outfield players depending on the opposition is something I’ve long felt our managers should do. Why not keepers?

Teams with big aggressive players relying on hoofs or crosses play Bart as he appears to be better at taking crosses under pressure…from what little I’ve seen. Going for a ball with Soucek and coming out on top was impressive and not convinced Jason would have got the same outcome. Just a feeling, haven’t seen enough of him to state it as a fact.

Anyway, yes, if RDZ thinks it’s an option I’m in.

Luckily Jason appears to be a player who accepts his lot, is Bart?

Jason did nothing wrong in the first two games, not convinced Bart did yesterday. Are people really blaming Dunk and Webster underperforming on a change of keeper? Don’t see it myself :shrug:

The way he took out Soucek was a thing of beauty, I can't remember the last time one of our keepers did that.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
I haven’t voted coz I don’t know. I’ll answer at the end of the season.

It’s unusual, which means there’s an instant reaction against it, with the reasoning being “if this was right then Guardiola/Klopp etc would be doing it too.”

On the other hand, it means that both our keepers are being tested in match situations regularly, and yet neither are being overworked. Either should be fresh and ready when called upon, and we all get to see both keepers in action, and argue about our favourite on here.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
A third option for me .... not bothered, as long as they both put in good performances.
I'll take us playing the Chuckle Brothers (both of them regardless of how alive they are) if we win every game.
Rotating goalkeepers strikes me as total nonsense. I assume that's not literally what De Zerbi's planning on doing.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'll take us playing the Chuckle Brothers (both of them regardless of how alive they are) if we win every game.
Rotating goalkeepers strikes me as total nonsense. I assume that's not literally what De Zerbi's planning on doing.

Exactly. False accusations here of a RDZ tinkering in a thick way.

Early doors, he’s sounding them both out. Verbruggen’s too good to be confined to LC ties against Forest Green and Crawley. Then RDZ will make a call.

Thankfully Verbruggen was not at fault yesterday for the goals, otherwise this thread would be 10x longer.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Exactly. False accusations here of a RDZ tinkering in a thick way.

Early doors, he’s sounding them both out. Verbruggen’s too good to be confined to LC ties against Forest Green and Crawley. Then RDZ will make a call.

Thankfully Verbruggen was not at fault yesterday for the goals, otherwise this thread would be 10x longer.
This

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Maybe we thought West Ham offered more of an Ariel threat and that Bart was best to deal with that. I can't say either have given me any concerns during the 3 games so far and I'm certain Verbruggen is our long term plan
She doesn't look very threatening to me :shrug:

Ariel.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here