Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Just what was Dahoud thinking?

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Pause the clip at 4 seconds. Dahoud's left boot is a yard away from the ball. His boot lands on the Sheff Utd player's leg, who had left it there for long enough to be too inviting for Dahoud not to stand on it.

For me, it's a red.

Si Gull

Way Down South
Mar 18, 2008
On top of the world
I thought it accidental at first but, looking at that, he plants his foot down so far from the ball. Shielding? Possibly, but I'm afraid it may have been deliberate, at best clumsy and dangerous, so no complaint with the red.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Not a red for me, barely touched him and the more obvious foul clearly ignored by a ref who nailed his colours to a mustard coloured mast in the second half.
Run it frame by frame.

Dahoud goes to plant his foot. He then looks away at the ball. The Sheff Utd player then inexplicably moves his leg backwards into the path of Dahoud’s boot. I’m now thinking that Mo was set-up.

You are correct in this instance. Not a red. Should have been overturned by VAR.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Pause the clip at 4 seconds. Dahoud's left boot is a yard away from the ball. His boot lands on the Sheff Utd player's leg, who had left it there for long enough to be too inviting for Dahoud not to stand on it.

For me, it's a red.
No.

The Sheff Utd defender moves his leg BACK to make contact with Dahoud’s boot.

This is the split second before Dahoud plants his boot. The coast is clear. The opposing players leg is not anywhere near the ball.

IMG_3768.jpg

Dahoud then looks at the ball the the Sheff Utd moves his leg into the area Dahoud’s boot comes down. 100% not a penalty.

Last edited:

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing
Run it frame by frame.

Dahoud goes to plant his foot. He then looks away at the ball. The Sheff Utd player then inexplicably moves his leg backwards into the path of Dahoud’s boot. I’m now thinking that Mo was set-up.

You are correct in this instance. Not a red. Should have been overturned by VAR.
Set up or not, it's still a red and not even debatable. If it was the other way round, you'd be saying a sending off was the correct decision.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Set up or not, it's still a red and not even debatable. If it was the other way round, you'd be saying a sending off was the correct decision.
No it’s not.

You can’t put yourself in the way of another player once they have made a decisive move and expect not to get fouled.

This is the same as Dale Stephens at Boro.

I’ll admit that this is only possible to see with the sort of frame by frame technology VAR has.

The Sheff Utd back kicks his leg into the path of Dahoud FFS.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
At least as bad as Rashford, probably worse. Stonewall red, no complaints from me. He had been sloppy for the 5 mins previously (having played well - again - up to that point) and should probably have been subbed earlier.
Watch it frame by frame and it’s very different indeed.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Not a red for me, barely touched him and the more obvious foul clearly ignored by a ref who nailed his colours to a mustard coloured mast in the second half.
It was a blatant red.

I appreciate we all support the Albion here, but it undermines the conversations around referees if we can’t accept that kind of decision.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
If you go frame by frame (as I have done). His eyes are clearly on the ball and he is not looking at where he plants his foot.

I’ve got this down as clumsy from a player who needs to be more physical in the EPL and has clearly been told that.

It‘a not helped by a missed foul on Gilmore milli-seconds earlier.

What’s incredibly annoying is that there are very few straight red cards given this season. I’ve seen plenty like this against us but ignored by the ref and VAR (Fabinho’s ankle breaker in Ferguson for example).
The inconsistency is a major issue. That doesn’t stop it being a red card.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Watch it frame by frame and it’s very different indeed.
watching by frame just makes it worse. it's a nasty foul all day long.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If you go frame by frame (as I have done). His eyes are clearly on the ball and he is not looking at where he plants his foot.
This doesn’t have anything to do with it being a red card though. I’m not sure what your point is.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I’ve watched it a lot and would love to defend Dahoud but can’t - it’s a red.

OT though, football as a sport should not be broken down frame by frame - this is the ridiculous sitiation VAR has brought us too.
This I agree with.

Straight red to the eye.

But frame by frame, the Sheff Utd leg is plunged back into the path of Dahoud’s boot at the last milli-second.

I think the club should appeal this based on VAR not reviewing it with the kind of endeavour they’d review a goal we scored that might be offside.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here