Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Just what was Dahoud thinking?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Didn't look much in real-time from the WSU but clearly was very much something, as the video shows.

Did he think Gilmour had been fouled and was exercising some retribution?

He did seem to be genuinely shocked to see the red card shown at him.

Jimmy Grimble

As said on another thread, he had been awful for 5-10 minutes prior - misplaced passes, losing his man, poor touches. He was physically and mentally shot and this was a culmination of it.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Billy wasn’t the first player clattered. The ref had seemed happy to let the midfielders get stuck in. Dahoud was giving a bit back by going in hard and intending to spin away. Unfortunately the Sheffield United player chose that moment to stick his leg out behind him in an attempt to get the loose ball and it all looked ugly. A red these days for sure, as context counts for nothing any more.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Weird - less clear than the Rashford one. So hard to tell if there was any intent. Unfortunately in 2023 it’s a clear red card. My annoyance is we should have been out of sight before that - but at least we held on with 10 for 20 mins or so…

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not a red for me, barely touched him and the more obvious foul clearly ignored by a ref who nailed his colours to a mustard coloured mast in the second half.
Barely touched him?

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
Didn't look much in real-time from the WSU but clearly was very much something, as the video shows.

Did he think Gilmour had been fouled and was exercising some retribution?

He did seem to be genuinely shocked to see the red card shown at him.

Couldn’t make it to the game today and am genuinely astounded the amount of people here at the time saying it wasn’t a shockingly bad challenge. It was awful.

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing
He's putting his foot down to shield the ball. No intent.

I'm not so sure. I think he knew what he was doing. The intent doesn't have to be there for a red but it looks like one of those where he'll likely say he didn't mean it. I can see intent in that but only he'll know.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Just said on the other thread, it's a blatant red.

Impossible to determine intent based on the video, a deliberate stamp would look exactly the same.

Ask yourself, if that was on our player what would you think? (see Barton against us for Burnley. He got away with it, purple said the same thing)

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
He's putting his foot down to shield the ball. No intent.
If you go frame by frame (as I have done). His eyes are clearly on the ball and he is not looking at where he plants his foot.

I’ve got this down as clumsy from a player who needs to be more physical in the EPL and has clearly been told that.

It‘a not helped by a missed foul on Gilmore milli-seconds earlier.

What’s incredibly annoying is that there are very few straight red cards given this season. I’ve seen plenty like this against us but ignored by the ref and VAR (Fabinho’s ankle breaker in Ferguson for example).

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
As said on another thread, he had been awful for 5-10 minutes prior - misplaced passes, losing his man, poor touches. He was physically and mentally shot and this was a culmination of it.
Agree.
RdZ partially to blame for not subbing him when the ball went out for a goal kick.

Crap challenge, shame as he had done well, until the 5 mins before.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here