[News] Just Stop Oil

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
How would JSO know if there is an ambulance on the blues trying to get through a traffic jam the protest has possibly caused a few miles down the road?

The current “holding up ambulances” stories don’t stand up to scrutiny but it is a risk.
But Piers Morgan says it’s true so some people on here will believe it for that reason

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
But Piers Morgan says it’s true so some people on here will believe it for that reason
Piers Morgan and Suella Braverman v David Attenborough, Chris Packham and Gary Lineker.

Btw Nelson Mandela spent years in prison for protesting.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i saw Starmer support the objective of JSO, to stop further licences on oil and gas exploration. given it's a certainty he'll be next PM, isn't further protesting unnecessay?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
i saw Starmer support the objective of JSO, to stop further licences on oil and gas exploration. given it's a certainty he'll be next PM, isn't further protesting unnecessay?
I didn't know that. The reason being that I find JSO so silly I just walk away when they emerge.

Yes, of course, everyone apart from India, Brazil, Russia and America are moving away from fossil fuels, deforestation, fast buckery and all that. Even China has started to move in the right direction. Ish.

I don't think that running around in hessian underpants, scrapping my car and having to get a taxi to and from the supermarket is going to focus the currently disengaged.

A bit of publicity and keeping issues on the boil is of course useful. A few episodes of hippies supergluing themselves to racehorses, however, just puts me off learning more about what might be done and what I might do.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It’s quite amusing in a slapstick sort of way, although I am a peaceful man. Obviously what happened there was a power surge causing the dolly arm to malfunction and cause an accidental collision. Could’ve happened to anyone.
Exactly …funny in a slapstick way …bit of humour is always worthwhile…I couldn’t help but laugh

There is a serious side re one of the people dancing which I could have gone into..but that wasn’t the purpose of my post..which was humour

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I think they want more than just an end to further licences on exploration, also production too.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Thanks for the monitoring. I quite like him now. His line about wanting to go out and buy a barrel of oil after seeing these morons actions is exactly what Joe Public thinks. Legend! His stuff on the 2 genders there are and the unfair blokes competing in womens’ sport is also bang on (although obvious) - yeh like him now thanks 👍
you're not that bothered what you think, more concerned with what morgan thinks....... legend!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I am not going to pretend I wouldn't be pissed off if I had somewhere to be and JSO blocked the road, but I really do wonder what the alternative to direct action should be? As Chris Packham pointed out in that video above, he attended an anti-fossil fuel rally with 60,000 others and it wasn't even mentioned in any printed or visual media except a few inches in The Times. Yet a few people throw some powder over a snooker table and suddenly there is a discussion to be had.

If you're not at least sympathetic to the direct protestors than I'm glad you weren't around when our football club needed saving, because that wasn't achieved by a handful of strongly worded letters to the Albion board at the time, I can tell you.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
I am not going to pretend I wouldn't be pissed off if I had somewhere to be and JSO blocked the road, but I really do wonder what the alternative to direct action should be? As Chris Packham pointed out in that video above, he attended an anti-fossil fuel rally with 60,000 others and it wasn't even mentioned in any printed or visual media except a few inches in The Times. Yet a few people throw some powder over a snooker table and suddenly there is a discussion to be had.

If you're not at least sympathetic to the direct protestors than I'm glad you weren't around when our football club needed saving, because that wasn't achieved by a handful of strongly worded letters to the Albion board at the time, I can tell you.
But a discussion isn't being had. It's more or less universally acknowledged that we need to cut fossil fuel emissions and the government is supposedly working towards a surely impractical solution (we will find out); what JSO is saying but not discussing is that we should stop getting any oil at all from the North Sea and import it from further afield. Which IMO is a stupid opinion, and one they are only going for because it's catchy and which they will be able to use for a long time because it's impractical.

You can guarantee that if the government called their bluff and said they were going to import all the oil (without reducing consumption), they would change their campaign - they wouldn't go away believing they have achieved their objective. But it's harder to get popular support and/or attention if they claimed their objective was to do what is already being done, but they want it done faster.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports