[News] Just Stop Oil

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Not sure what you mean by 'entrenched views' as I suspect most posting on here are not disputing the issues facing the planet, just the efficacy of the protests by JSO.
:bowdown:

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
Bunch of moronic middle-class zombies with nothing in their lives to do except destroy beauty and bully the working classes. The roots of most of these modern eco groups are murky to say the least. All they do is make normal people hate them and it sets the whole movement back decades.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
It’s part of the culture of life since Twitter.

Disagree with Just Stop Oil/Extinction Rebellion’s methods? You hate the environment and deny climate change.

Disagree with a Labour opposition policy? You’re Tory scum.

Enjoy a Harry Potter video game? You hate trans people.

This has to stop on here at least. Keep it to Twitter.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020

Disagree with Just Stop Oil/Extinction Rebellion’s methods? You hate the environment and deny climate change.

Sounds like your playing divide and rule sterotyping, like JSO protesters must be weirdos, unemployed and vote labour. Don't bother researching it just rely on your preconceptions. It's want they want people to do, to buy into the belief it's a minority view and the detractors and protestors are pariahs or social outcasts. That's why nothing ever gets done about it because too many people believe it's not a big enough issue

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Protestor? Must be a jobless, attention seeking, layabout.

Reckon you might be onto something.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

There has been a lot of motives outlooks and opinions placed on these protesters on this thread.

Exactly the same as what you are describing here.

I agree it really is unhelpful to any meaningful discussion.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Protestor? Must be a jobless, attention seeking, layabout.

Reckon you might be onto something.
@The Clamp you've stated on this thread that you don't think their style of protest is right (paraphrasing but can't be bothered to go back)

The only difference between you and the people criticising is that you're willing to hold your nose and look the other way because you support the wider cause and align with their politics. (Not a criticism, your perogative)

It's thier targeting of ordinary people that everyone has a problem with. I admit that my own politics has made me less objective, but honestly, if they just targeted things in line with their cause I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Stopping people going to work and disrupting sporting and cultural events will never get them anywhere.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
@The Clamp you've stated on this thread that you don't think their style of protest is right (paraphrasing but can't be bothered to go back)

The only difference between you and the people criticising is that you're willing to hold your nose and look the other way because you support the wider cause and align with their politics. (Not a criticism, your perogative)

It's thier targeting of ordinary people that everyone has a problem with. I admit that my own politics has made me less objective, but honestly, if they just targeted things in line with their cause I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Stopping people going to work and disrupting sporting and cultural events will never get them anywhere.
I think you’re about right.

I’ll add, and I expect to get burned for this, but one of my favourite things is seeing people getting outraged and red-faced.

Horsey toffs getting huffy and puffy when sabs disrupt a hunt.

The posho’s at the flower show exclaiming “oh for God’s sake”!!

Gammons in suits going Death Wish when sneaky protestors stand up at political conferences and interrupt some bullshit speech.

Maybe it’s just me but il never not find that funny.

I will qualify that though by saying that if anyone is actually stopping emergency vehicles operating, then that is not acceptable at all.

But generally I find great humour in outrage. I even laugh at myself if I catch myself getting heightened about that which truly does not matter.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Enjoy your day all. No hard feelings here but it is worth noting that this thread is full of entrenched views and opinions that seemingly have not shifted and inch (mine included).

Up the Albion.
To be fair, Sheebo's list of articles about emergency vehicles being delayed altered my view.
Probably not in the way he intended, but still. This thread has not been for naught.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
To be fair, Sheebo's list of articles about emergency vehicles being delayed altered my view.
Probably not in the way he intended, but still. This thread has not been for naught.
I agree, I thought that was astonishing, even I didn’t realise they were actively trying to be callous. I thought they were simply unaware, not malicious.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I agree, I thought that was astonishing, even I didn’t realise they were actively trying to be callous. I thought they were simply unaware, not malicious.
In the incidents listed, a fire engine was let through a protest to an emergency, and an ambulance that didn't have it's lights or siren on was held up in traffic.
Considering how much is made of the delaying emergency services argument I was expecting more.
If I've missed other incidences buried further up in the thread or elsewhere then I'm happy to have them pointed out to me.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
In the incidents listed, a fire engine was let through a protest to an emergency, and an ambulance that didn't have it's lights or siren on was held up in traffic.
Considering how much is made of the delaying emergency services argument I was expecting more.
If I've missed other incidences buried further up in the thread or elsewhere then I'm happy to have them pointed out to me.
Yes, not the damning evidence they were presented to be, and then described as after.

As I have mentioned, there are not many shades of grey on this thread.

When I mentioned this before I was told it wasn't the case because we all agree the environment is an issue (I kind of took this as read in this discussion).

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Yes, not the damning evidence they were presented to be, and then described as after.

When I mentioned this before I was told it wasn't the case because we all agree the environment is an issue (I kind of took this as read in this discussion).
I the desperate search for some grey, I think it's reasonable to say:
I would probably think most of the protesters are twats if I met them in person.
I broadly agree with their stated aims.
They're methods are divisive and quite possibly counter productive.
The direction of travel re. laws against protest is worrying and not, in the long term, compatible with a free society.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I the desperate search for some grey, I think it's reasonable to say:
I would probably think most of the protesters are twats if I met them in person.
I broadly agree with their stated aims.
They're methods are divisive and quite possibly counter productive.
The direction of travel re. laws against protest is worrying and not, in the long term, compatible with a free society.
Yeah I think that is a fair summary. Nice bit of grey.

It would be interesting to know how most feel about their methods. Most importantly though it would be interesting to see what works more effectively.

Divisive they may be but they are good at getting a simple message out there.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Yeah I think that is a fair summary. Nice bit of grey.

It would be interesting to know how most feel about their methods. Most importantly though it would be interesting to see what works more effectively.

Divisive they may be but they are good at getting a simple message out there.
And this is their objective.

They are are achieving it brilliantly. I still find it shocking how they have triggered so many people. People are obsessed with them in a ‘public enemy No.1’ type of way. All the time, people are trying to distort the argument into their own lines of conflict, Left bs Right, Labour vs Tories, Middle Class vs Working Class, Educated vs Uneducated. Fascinating stuff really.

As long as the Mail, Morgan and other such media is getting outraged and putting these stories to page 1, the protestors will keep deploying the same tactics because their objective is being achieved. I suppose the downside is the draconian laws being brought in to control freedom of speech.

Ignoring them (as one of the 99.9% of people in this country not to have been affected by them) is my advice. It makes for a more peaceful and chilled life. Less froth to wipe from one’s mouth over actions one can’t affect.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

I’m starting to think the main protagonists of the narrative that they held up ambulances didn’t actually read the news stories they read the headlines to and assumed

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Sounds like your playing divide and rule sterotyping, like JSO protesters must be weirdos, unemployed and vote labour. Don't bother researching it just rely on your preconceptions. It's want they want people to do, to buy into the belief it's a minority view and the detractors and protestors are pariahs or social outcasts. That's why nothing ever gets done about it because too many people believe it's not a big enough issue
I don’t think so, they’re just highlighting polarisation. Which is generally true!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
posted quite a few clips of Piers Morgan for someone who doesn't like Piers Morgan, and people deplore being labelled gaslit yet endorse channels designed precisely for that reason
Thanks for the monitoring. I quite like him now. His line about wanting to go out and buy a barrel of oil after seeing these morons actions is exactly what Joe Public thinks. Legend! His stuff on the 2 genders there are and the unfair blokes competing in womens’ sport is also bang on (although obvious) - yeh like him now thanks 👍

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
How would JSO know if there is an ambulance on the blues trying to get through a traffic jam the protest has possibly caused a few miles down the road?

The current “holding up ambulances” stories don’t stand up to scrutiny but it is a risk.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports