Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just seen the FL show....

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
Until you scored the 2nd, it DEFINITELY was still an open contest, a bit end to end at times, so that surprises me very much. You can't really talk about our team after the ref handed you the game, as it was an insane situation to be in, I'm sure any team would've reacted the same way.

Crap. You had no B plan and it showed.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Redneb the ones in the first half were hardly blatant - a typical bit of tussle from set pieces.

Hammond Dived and got caught, (excusing the refs errors) Fonte threw himself to the ground with no contact for first pen as did lambert for your second pen.

That reads to me like a deliberate policy from your management to dive and cheat where possible.

You were the better team, but some of your players did cheat and that's a FACT

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Crap. You had no B plan and it showed.

You couldn't know at that point. Before the pen, it's quite possible Kaz was about to come on and rip you a new one. He did it to you before and could do it again.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Redneb the ones in the first half were hardly blatant - a typical bit of tussle from set pieces.

Hammond Dived and got caught, (excusing the refs errors) Fonte threw himself to the ground with no contact for first pen as did lambert for your second pen.

That reads to me like a deliberate policy from your management to dive and cheat where possible.

You were the better team, but some of your players did cheat and that's a FACT

Quite ironic when you consider Adkins' post-match comments...

"We have good, honest players here..."

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
So anyone calling us cheats etc is a very poor loser. The entire highlights of the game was Saints attacking Albion - not one Albion attack (although they did miss that one cleared off the line just after our 1st goal). I've never seen that before.

No argument with the result, Southampton were the better team, and deserved to win. There were better shouts for penalties than the 2 that were given, but you can't get away from the fact that Hammond was booked for "simulation" which is a polite word for "cheating." Was he unlucky, yes, because as you say, players do normally get away with that and win penalties despite there being no contact ... just as happened for your 3rd goal.

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
BBC Sport - Southampton 3-0 Brighton

Interesting. Also shows both our pens werent pens. But then there were 3 other very strong claims, at least 2 were definite pens. Guly seemed to be checked, Lambo had his shirt pulled in the 1st and was also blatantly barged off in the 2nd. I'm not sure i've been to a single game where there were so many penalty claims for us. I have counted seven, and we got 2 of them

klaaturberada

Jan 2, 2011
Until you scored the 2nd, it DEFINITELY was still an open contest, a bit end to end at times
No it definitely wasn't. Even with the most rose-tinted spectacles going, it was not a open contest or end to end. Apart from when Davies dropped the ball, it was one way traffic.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What a different game it would have been had the ref given that penalty as a free kick and you hit it over the bar and from the resulting goal kick one of your defenders committed a similar foul and the ref given BHA a penalty. That is not beyond imagination and shows how finely poised the game was although Southampton had been the better team. At 2 - 0 down we were out of it especially having been reduced to 10 men.

shwoody1

May 18, 2009
lewes
this penalty thing has been done to death. only one was when painter assaulted lambert. the game is done now and iaminclined to agree that the best team won. however i am very concerned how we concede so few fouls compared to southampton and yet recieve three times the cautions. its not the first time this season either. as bad as navs challenge was and yes it was, del prados or what ever hes called was very poor. in short i feel we are getting a reputation as a dirty side which i feel is just not right. forget tanno, dunk and caldes bookings and reds, all bad mistakes from the ref but they all show and have no chance of being overuled.

klaaturberada

Jan 2, 2011
What a different game it would have been had the ref given that penalty as a free kick and you hit it over the bar and from the resulting goal kick one of your defenders committed a similar foul and the ref given BHA a penalty. That is not beyond imagination and shows how finely poised the game was although Southampton had been the better team. At 2 - 0 down we were out of it especially having been reduced to 10 men.
What if we accidentally put the free kick all the way back to Davies instead of having a shot over the bar....then what if Davies had had an air shot and let it dribble into the net. It would have been 1-1 then. It is not beyond imagination.....because I have just imagined it. I think Brighton could quite conceivably have gone on to win 8-1 after that.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The point is that whether you like it or not that penalty and the sending off was the pivotal moment of the game without this we could, that is not to say we would, have got back into the game. I goal down is easy to pull back 2 is much more difficult especially with 10 men. I will give you praise as you played the extra man very well a lot better than most teams do when their opponents have had a man sent off.

klaaturberada

Jan 2, 2011
Even at 2-0 you had a chance to turn it around - until your assistant manager decided that the team would be better off if he got himself sent off. He is an irresponsible hot-heated tw@t, and I am sure Poyet told him so (or perhaps not).

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Even at 2-0 you had a chance to turn it around - until your assistant manager decided that the team would be better off if he got himself sent off. He is an irresponsible hot-heated tw@t, and I am sure Poyet told him so (or perhaps not).

Not really because he got sent off when we were 1-0 down and facinga penalty which made it 2= 0 in his defence it is quite clear that the ref made a mistake and according to reports told him to f..k off when he was arguing so what do you expect him to say, ' Sorry ref you made a mistake' not that the FA will accept that. It must be remembered that he is a hot headed South American not that it is an excuse.

shwoody1

May 18, 2009
lewes

again this has been done to death,but could you really be sure that under the circunstances that none of saints players would of reacted in the same way? i know it does not make it right but how could anyone expect all the players to keep their mouths shut after that. you would have to be a saint.............

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here