Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jeremy Sarmiento [1/1/24 - Recalled from West Brom loan]

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Why the hell are we loaning Sarmiento out again when we're so desperately short of players, and particularly wingers? It doesn't make any sense whatsover. I think this is a mistake by the club although to be fair they haven't made one in a while - just my opinion, of course.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Why the hell are we loaning Sarmiento out again when we're so desperately short of players, and particularly wingers? It doesn't make any sense whatsover. I think this is a mistake by the club although to be fair they haven't made one in a while - just my opinion, of course.
probably because he’s not at our level yet - and still hasn’t proven his fitness presumably.

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
Long term it might be the better thing to do.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Also surprised if he goes back out on loan immediately, we barely have a senior first XI at the moment...
It’s one or the other. The club obviously thing it’s better for the players development long term rather than having him for us for a couple of games

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
I think this means one of two things:
a) The injuries to Mitoma and Adringa are not too serious and we definitely expect Enciso back next month.theregore only a couple of wingerless games to get through and no need to use Jeremy for a couple of games.

b) We have another winger on our radar who we are looking to buy.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
a) The injuries to Mitoma and Adringa are not too serious and we definitely expect Enciso back next month.theregore only a couple of wingerless games to get through and no need to use Jeremy for a couple of games.

Hopefully it's both!

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I think that Jonathan Rowe at Norwich looks a potential goer in January due to Norwich’s league position and the fact that he is nearing the end of his contract. Scored some goals from his Wide position which is a good sign.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Yes, it does seem so, agreed. BUT -he was loaned out for a reason, which presumably is that RDZ felt that he was not quite ready in the pecking order, and needed much valued match experience. If he stays, he then has to stay as he cannot play for 3 clubs in one season. So he might be called upon in January but if he then warms the bench once the others are available, that would be a retrograde step in terms of his development for next season.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
It’s one or the other. The club obviously thing it’s better for the players development long term rather than having him for us for a couple of games
Don't know about this couple of games thing.

AFCON and The Asia cup will be going on till mid feb. Even then, will players who have played in the latter stages be coming straight back into our side or be given time to recover?

I love it that we look after the long term interests of the club. I just think there has to be a balance.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Very interesting that Ipswich have the option to extend the loan to include next season if they get promoted to the PL. Win-Win-Win for all concerned.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
We can't judge this as a mistake until we learn the full transfer window picture.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Yes, it does seem so, agreed. BUT -he was loaned out for a reason, which presumably is that RDZ felt that he was not quite ready in the pecking order, and needed much valued match experience. If he stays, he then has to stay as he cannot play for 3 clubs in one season. So he might be called upon in January but if he then warms the bench once the others are available, that would be a retrograde step in terms of his development for next season.
Well possibly, but we've got 2 cup rounds and 5 or 6 very winnable league games between now and when the AFCON players come back.

All well and good thinking about next season, but let's not burn off the one we're on for the sake of it.

I also don't really accept that he would never play if and when players do return to fitness. We rotate a lot and we have loads of games through the spring, especially if we keep our Europa run going.

To me the only thing that makes sense, is that RDZ just doesn't rate him, which is his choice fair enough, but puzzling, given he looks very promising to me and I suspect most on here. I'm also not ruling out some sort of personal disagreement or something playing a part.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
We can't judge this as a mistake until we learn the full transfer window picture.
And we all hope of course that we sign a top level winger. Though a lot can go wrong when you're looking to sign players. It's a random process and realistically we won't get anyone in till much later in the window. They also cost a lot. Whereas this player is already ours and we're already paying him.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Well possibly, but we've got 2 cup rounds and 5 or 6 very winnable league games between now and when the AFCON players come back.

All well and good thinking about next season, but let's not burn off the one we're on for the sake of it.

I also don't really accept that he would never play if and when players do return to fitness. We rotate a lot and we have loads of games through the spring, especially if we keep our Europa run going.

To me the only thing that makes sense, is that RDZ just doesn't rate him, which is his choice fair enough, but puzzling, given he looks very promising to me and I suspect most on here. I'm also not ruling out some sort of personal disagreement or something playing a part.
Agreed -there are quite a few games but by the Wolves match, one assumes that a few will be returning, and we don't know if we will be in the second cup round!! You could well be right that RDZ simply does not rate him, which could well be the point -if he is not rated, then he presumably will get little opportunity at best, which would be waste of his potential. If he is going to Ipswich, I just hope that he plays regularly, as they appear to be starting to stutter.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

I hope this is correct.

In terms of wingers, we must replace March this window. I think we will.

Also, signing fullbacks like Barco who can play on the wing too is a good move. So going back for this guy (who we’ve been linked with before) at right back would be an utterly stunning move:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
My guess is, looking at it objectively and from the hierachy's point of view, that the plan with JS was to give him game time for a whole season in the Championship (as has been the case with so many other loans in previous seasons). For whatever reason (some people came early to the conclusion it was purely down to the number of players missing in the squad) he's been recalled from the lesser Albion, but that shouldn't/wouldn't, under normal circumstances, affect his loan agreement. So back to the Championship he goes. The state of the first-team squad is irrelevant, because they planned to be without him for a season anyway.

Whether that means more players coming in, injured players being back quicker than planned, or collectively the people in charge thinking they have enough until players DO come back from either injury or other international competitions, who knows?

From that perspective, sticking to the specific plan for JS – a season in the Championship – makes total sense. Don't forget, he's played a total of 14 times for BHAFC and registered zero goals. I'm not saying he's not the answer to the lack of wingers, but I think he is probably WAY down the list of possible solutions at the present time. And that's coming from someone who rates him!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here