Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jeremy Sarmiento [1/1/24 - Recalled from West Brom loan]

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Why the hell are we loaning Sarmiento out again when we're so desperately short of players, and particularly wingers? It doesn't make any sense whatsover. I think this is a mistake by the club although to be fair they haven't made one in a while - just my opinion, of course.
Because if he plays for us then he can't play for any other club again this season (ie he can't go back out on loan) due to FIFA rules. I guess they figure that he's better off getting regular games in the Championship than sitting on our bench while he readjusts to the Premier League, and then sits on the bench some more when the likes of Enciso are back next month.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm amazed there are posters who can't see this was the only option.

There really aren't any agendas or reading between the lines.
Jeremy needs to play - he's proven he's fit enough (with only one injury) he now needs to add consistency.
As it stood that wasn't happening at Lesser Albion and definitely wouldn't have happened at Greater Albion.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton

Jeremy needs to play - he's proven he's fit enough (with only one injury) he now needs to add consistency.
As it stood that wasn't happening at Lesser Albion and definitely wouldn't have happened at Greater Albion.
That's ok then. So just draft in one of our wingers from the Under 23s if we need him. He's bound to offer more than Sarmiento :(

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That's ok then. So just draft in one of our wingers from the Under 23s if we need him. He's bound to offer more than Sarmiento :(
I hope not, I hope Jezza has a long (for us) and exciting future but that's not happening spending half a season sat on the bench here, after he's covered 2 or 3 leagues games.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I hope this is correct.

In terms of wingers, we must replace March this window. I think we will.

Also, signing fullbacks like Barco who can play on the wing too is a good move. So going back for this guy (who we’ve been linked with before) at right back would be an utterly stunning move:

Ferdi was my first signing and has gone on to be a club icon on my Albion FM24 save, doing a consistent job at RB and LB for four seasons now, so I endorse this message :jester:

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Given we've got Mitoma, Adringra, Enciso and Fati returning over the next 6 weeks, I don't think it is the best use of Sarmiento's development for him to get odd minutes here and there for the next month and then be unable to play first team football anywhere else. The fate of our entire season doesn't rest on the games between now and mid-Feb, so personally I'm more than comfortable to continue with the options we have and let Sarmiento get a decent run of games in the Champ.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Pure conjecture on my part, but I reckon that’s probably the cover for the wings for this window.

I just can’t see us sending Sarmiento out again on loan, when what we sent him out for originally was for him to get some competitive game time post-injury.

He was doing alright for us as an impact sub before his injury, so if he’s more than halfway back to fitness I think he’ll stay and provide additional cover for the second half of the season.

If so, just DM and both full-backs to go, though I don’t really understand why Veltman isn’t playing more or whether Tariq can be got fit on a longer term basis.
Veltman is injured

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

Nice little challenge for Jeremy with Ipswich.

They may be in 2nd place in the Championship but have not won any of their last 5 games. They have some key injuries too so are looking for an attacking player to reignite their fortunes. I suspect he’ll be a regular starter if he goes there.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
My guess is, looking at it objectively and from the hierachy's point of view, that the plan with JS was to give him game time for a whole season in the Championship (as has been the case with so many other loans in previous seasons). For whatever reason (some people came early to the conclusion it was purely down to the number of players missing in the squad) he's been recalled from the lesser Albion, but that shouldn't/wouldn't, under normal circumstances, affect his loan agreement. So back to the Championship he goes. The state of the first-team squad is irrelevant, because they planned to be without him for a season anyway.

Whether that means more players coming in, injured players being back quicker than planned, or collectively the people in charge thinking they have enough until players DO come back from either injury or other international competitions, who knows?

From that perspective, sticking to the specific plan for JS – a season in the Championship – makes total sense. Don't forget, he's played a total of 14 times for BHAFC and registered zero goals. I'm not saying he's not the answer to the lack of wingers, but I think he is probably WAY down the list of possible solutions at the present time. And that's coming from someone who rates him!
That would be my guess too - what he needs is a better loan than the one to WBA - and it looks as if the move to Ipswich is all but done bar the official announcement.

Now we need to do the same for Weir and Peupion - and I wouldn't be sorry to see Ayari hauled back out of Coventry; his loan's not doing him much good either.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
Veltman is injured

How foolish of me. I’d genuinely forgotten that.

Let’s hope Tariq is rebuildable, and not in the way my son builds Lego, with several small but important looking parts left over at the end.

chrisg

Apr 9, 2012
Can’t see him walking into their first team, 2nd in the league, will be more 10 minutes sub appearances surely

Jul 7, 2003
How foolish of me. I’d genuinely forgotten that.

Let’s hope Tariq is rebuildable, and not in the way my son builds Lego, with several small but important looking parts left over at the end.
I think even the best Lego Technic stuff might struggle to rebuild Tariq:(

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here