Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jeremy Sarmiento [1/1/24 - Recalled from West Brom loan]

What's done is done but we could definitely could have done with him in the last 15 mins of tonight's game. We move on

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Definitely the right move as he needs to play regularly. Just have to make sure their manager isn’t poached by some scum up the road, and then his replacement be some defensive clogger who doesn’t want our boy’s skillset. Isn’t that basically what happened with WBA?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Definitely the right move as he needs to play regularly. Just have to make sure their manager isn’t poached by some scum up the road, and then his replacement be some defensive clogger who doesn’t want our boy’s skillset. Isn’t that basically what happened with WBA?
No, West Brom haven’t changed their manager this season.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
To clarify his game time at WBA - he did actually play a fair bit of football for them. And after a brief injury in O T/ Nov - he has started 6 of their last 8 games.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Great opportunity for the guy – good luck to him and hopefully he'll return full of confidence ready for the start of next season. Either that or the club can flog him for a tidy profit to newly-flush-from-Premier-League-money Ipswich!

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Great opportunity for the guy – good luck to him and hopefully he'll return full of confidence ready for the start of next season. Either that or the club can flog him for a tidy profit to newly-flush-from-Premier-League-money Ipswich!
Well, the whole, he can be loaned next season as well, says to me that RDZ sees no future for him here.

Sad because he looks a player to me, but RDZ knows more about this than I do.

I also don't think decision making is a deal breaker in a player that age. That will come with a bit of experience and coaching.

Best of luck at Ipswich Jeremy

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Well, the whole, he can be loaned next season as well, says to me that RDZ sees no future for him here.

Sad because he looks a player to me, but RDZ knows more about this than I do.

I also don't think decision making is a deal breaker in a player that age. That will come with a bit of experience and coaching.

Best of luck at Ipswich Jeremy
There's no actual confirmation about him being loaned for a further year. That's just speculation. I doubt Albion have committed to that.

And quite the leap to, on that basis, argue "RDZ sees no future for him here" . (also RDZ is only part of a number of people who make that decision)

Plan is for him to get game time in a good league at the age of 21 and take it from there. Players develop at different speeds, ages. They're not always fully formed at 18 or 21 etc.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
To clarify his game time at WBA - he did actually play a fair bit of football for them. And after a brief injury in O T/ Nov - he has started 6 of their last 8 games.

Even allowing for his injury he'd barely played 40% of available minutes during his loan period. I imagine the club and he wanted more. The main reason for loaning him out was to get game time after his broken metatarsal ruled him out for the final 13 games of last season and falling down our pecking order. Spending over half that time on the bench was doing him no good and you can see why he was recalled. Hopefully he can force himself into a very good Ipswich team and get a lot more football in during this second half of the season.

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Too little too late perhaps? I think he only finished one of those games too.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
There's no actual confirmation about him being loaned for a further year. That's just speculation. I doubt Albion have committed to that.

And quite the leap to, on that basis, argue "RDZ sees no future for him here" . (also RDZ is only part of a number of people who make that decision)

Plan is for him to get game time in a good league at the age of 21 and take it from there. Players develop at different speeds, ages. They're not always fully formed at 18 or 21 etc.
We had exactly this conversation on the train home.

There's an argument that we need him right now because of our injuries in his position. However, if we do bring in a winger (which RDZ has said he wants) that mitigates the gap a little, and then once Fati, Enciso, Adingra and Mitoma are back (plus a new guy?) there's very little game time for Bounanotte, never mind Sarmiento.

On balance then, it's better for everyone if we take some short term pain to have a better developed player back here, and Ipswich is a great team for him, playing our sort of football.

But it is reasonable to say, based on the above, that it's likely RDZ currently rates him not only lower than Enciso but also Adingra and Bounanotte and all three of them are still developing too.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Too little too late perhaps? I think he only finished one of those games too.
I think there's more to the move to Ipswich than simply "WBA didn't play him". He's not started every game, and he's not regularly played 90 minutes but they've seen a lot of him and he did get injured for a month which probably didn't help. . Its , as it always is with player development decisions, probably more complicated than that.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here