Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] James Milner

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Almost certain Lallana has said (beyond the club being great) 'you have to play under RDZ, I've never seen anything like it'. It's a career progression move, one eye on being a coach. He can commute etc for a season or two.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
It all depends if he is treating this as one last pay day to finish his playing career or a progressive step towards coaching.
He'd be off to Saudi Arabia if it's the former.
Everything I've read and heard suggests the latter.
I think he'll be great, even though I don't expect him to stand out on the pitch in every game.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If he’s choosing Leeds it’s going to be all about the money?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
If he’s choosing Leeds it’s going to be all about the money?

No it won't be, it's his hometown and first club, which he has said before that he wanted to return to. So it's that v taking a massive step forwards if his ambitions lie in coaching. I think Lallana will have persuaded him that the latter makes more sense, regardless of where dirty are next season :shrug:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Knowing how the club works (which we're all starting to get an idea of), if Milner doesn't end coming to the Albion, you can be sure that the recruitment team have another three alternatives lined up as plans B, C and D.

Like others, I'm not quite sure why – in pure footballing terms – he would choose Leeds over Brighton. What's Fab said about it. If he's 'Here we go!''d then that story is bobbins, no...? :wink:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I can see why Leeds would be appealing as an overall package, but if he wants to get into coaching then Leeds is a poor decision if he goes there, Big Sam isn't going to hang around if (when) they go down and there's likely to be far more turmoil there, plus in their position they'll be more interested in fighting tooth and claw to come straight back up than anything else

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
I think some people are looking at this through blue and white tinted specs.

Milner finishing his career at Leeds is like Zamora ending his career with us. If he gets an offer from them, I'm pretty sure that is where he will go.

It won't be about money, or Lallana, or coaching careers, or big balls, it'll be about a northern Leeds lad returning to his home town club. Probably with a coaching career there ahead of him too (and a shot at the managers job in a few years I'd expect).

I'd love him to come to us, but if Leeds are in for him than let's be realistic, that's where he'll go.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Do we really need Lallana and Milner?
Could end up being at least one expensive cheer leader too many.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
He’s hardly going to learn much from Big Sam is he? Can’t see Milner being stupid enough to go back to Leeds when he has the opportunity of working with a genius!😂
I’ll be very surprised if Big Sam is managing there next season whether he keeps them up or not,

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Oh the turmoil, always had a dislike for him (dirty shit), coming around to perhaps accepting his involvement, to hating him even more.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington

Milner finishing his career at Leeds is like Zamora ending his career with us. If he gets an offer from them, I'm pretty sure that is where he will go.

It won't be about money, or Lallana, or coaching careers, or big balls, it'll be about a northern Leeds lad returning to his home town club. Probably with a coaching career there ahead of him too (and a shot at the managers job in a few years I'd expect).

I'd love him to come to us, but if Leeds are in for him than let's be realistic, that's where he'll go.
I don't think it's looking through blue and white specs to think that, at the moment and at this stage in his career, going to Brighton is a better option than going to Leeds.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

Essentially, you are saying that Milner will make a decision with his heart, not his head.

I’ve got him pegged down as a lot smarter than that.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Proposal: Don’t let Brighton sign James Milner

But mainly — Brighton, seriously? Come on, mate! Milner has never lost his pride in being a Leeds boy, a dour Yorkshireman, a gritty northerner. Retiring on the south coast, being shown around the prettiest beaches and nicest ice cream huts by Adam Lallana, just isn’t for him. It doesn’t matter how close you are to the sea in England, it’s never as nice as it looks on a postcard. And how much of a draw is the Europa League when you’ve already won the European Cup?

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008

But mainly — Brighton, seriously? Come on, mate! Milner has never lost his pride in being a Leeds boy, a dour Yorkshireman, a gritty northerner. Retiring on the south coast, being shown around the prettiest beaches and nicest ice cream huts by Adam Lallana, just isn’t for him. It doesn’t matter how close you are to the sea in England, it’s never as nice as it looks on a postcard. And how much of a draw is the Europa League when you’ve already won the European Cup?

But how much of a draw would playing in the championship be?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He’s just waiting to see if Leeds stay up before committing himself isn’t he? :wink:

Champions of Europe trumps Europa League even though it never happened

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Would be amazed if he picked Leeds over us. If he did, then he's clearly not right for us, so it's win/win really.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough

Jesus, Leeds really do have the most pathetic fanbase on the planet. I know it's a bit tongue in cheek, but still.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here