Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] James Milner sings

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
I’m delighted with this signing. The cover he provides is outstanding, having a player like him in April and May would have helped RDZ balance the squad workload even better so he’s very welcome.

As others have said his experience and work ethic will really help the young ones. For a free this is such an astute signing.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Fantastic news, another wise head to calm to young guns

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
We were definitely his second choice after Leeds. Kinda feel bad vibes because of that but let's hope he stays fit because he is a quality player.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Great news

Welcome James :ascarf:

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

Nice little video down at Brooklands Park in Lancing there

I'd never before noticed how much he looks like Shrek...

Chill Out Deal With It GIF by DreamWorks Animation

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
We were definitely his second choice after Leeds. Kinda feel bad vibes because of that but let's hope he stays fit because he is a quality player.
What?

Are you suggesting Leeds turned him down, or that Leeds became unviable after they were relegated?

The former, bollocks. The latter, I'm sure he has already dried his eyes. :shrug:

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Great signing… will defo get us over the line in games and will have an abundance of experience to pass on…

He has a lot to offer at 73 years old.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Forgetting that he might also want to spend another year or two competing at the top? Rather than the Championship...
But Leeds ARE at the top, and they're one of the biggest clubs in world football. After all, last season they only narrowly missed out on qualifying for Europe.

(Yes I know they got relegated , but for a club that claims they were once 'champions of Europe' that IS 'narrowly missing out'.)

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
In quite a few threads, posters have been talking about Milner as a RB option. He is definitely a useful utility player who can do a job anywhere he is played, but the fact that he has filled in at RB in approx. half a dozen games this season might mean that recency bias has us all thinking that he is a natural fit there.

This is what I had thought myself, but the stats don't support this. According to Transfermarkt over 500 of his career appearances have been in midfield positions. He has played only 29 games at RB in his entire two decades long career. He has actually played more than twice this number of games at LB, where he played a full season for Liverpool, albeit quite a few years back.

He would certainly have been useful to have had at the end of last year when our right back options were dropping like flies, but I don't think that he has been signed as a RB, any more than Pascal Gross was. I just mention it in connection with the discussions about what defensive options we are looking to sign. Having Milner would seem to make it no less likely that we are looking for a RB than it does that we are looking for a LB. He is a midfielder who can provide cover in both positions.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Like a number of people have said, really impressed with Milner today, he could be a huge bonus. I was pleased when he signed but in an influence, bit part way - after today I think he will be more than that though. I appreciate this was one pre season friendly but he looked really at it.

Looked as fit as anyone, made some great runs, passes and a couple of excellent tackles. But also, you could see he was a leader straight away, even playing out wide. Commanded respect of his team mates, demanding more from them and didn’t take any shit from the opposition. It seemed like our players were looking to get the ball to him at every opportunity towards the end. Going to be a crowd favourite I think - what a pro.

More than happy to have him as the back up LB and extra cover in midfield. Can save the money for a cover LB to spend on a much needed RB.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Like a number of people have said, really impressed with Milner today, he could be a huge bonus. I was pleased when he signed but in an influence, bit part way - after today I think he will be more than that though. I appreciate this was one pre season friendly but he looked really at it.

Looked as fit as anyone, made some great runs, passes and a couple of excellent tackles. But also, you could see he was a leader straight away, even playing out wide. Commanded respect of his team mates and didn’t take any shit from the opposition. It seemed like our players were looking to get the ball to him at every opportunity towards the end. What a pro.

More than happy to have him as the back up LB and extra cover in midfield. Can save the money for a cover LB to spend on a much needed RB.
Good post. This 100%.

Could easily start.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Just on this much needed right back motif, not saying anyone is wrong on this, but I really like Veltman at right back. Competing with Lamptey, who is full of promise still, I think we are comfortably stocked there personally. Last season’s injury crisis was unfortunate for the position, but Milner/Groß can slot in. I think 4 RB’s is comfortable.

Left back is a bigger concern for me.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Looked as fit as anyone, made some great runs, passes and a couple of excellent tackles. But also, you could see he was a leader straight away, even playing out wide. Commanded respect of his team mates, demanding more from them and didn’t take any shit from the opposition. It seemed like our players were looking to get the ball to him at every opportunity towards the end. Going to be a crowd favourite I think - what a pro.

Stood up for Enciso but later on wouldn't take his rolling about and yanked him up off the ground.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here