[Albion] James Milner sings

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Stood up for Enciso but later on wouldn't take his rolling about and yanked him up off the ground.
Yeah. Loved that. It seemed that Enciso was surrounded by 3 Rayo and essentially kicked to the ground.

Milner metaphorically ‘windmills’ in and then starts physically pushing them all away. Great for Enciso. Perhaps he’ll pass to Milner more often now?

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Just on this much needed right back motif, not saying anyone is wrong on this, but I really like Veltman at right back. Competing with Lamptey, who is full of promise still, I think we are comfortably stocked there personally. Last season’s injury crisis was unfortunate for the position, but Milner/Groß can slot in. I think 4 RB’s is comfortable.

Left back is a bigger concern for me.
Veltman is good but I’d like to see another Pervis type - a more natural FB/WB with pace. Veltman needed as cover in the middle I feel too.

We just can’t trust Lamptey will ever be fit or good enough again. Missing again today. We should loan him out and if he comes good, then great but I have no faith he will. It’s been nearly three years ……

If we’re going to progress, I think it’s our weakest position of the 11.

At left back we have Pervis, Milner and March - much stronger than the options at RB.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Veltman is good but I’d like to see another Pervis type - a more natural FB/WB with pace. Veltman needed as cover in the middle I feel too.

We just can’t trust Lamptey will ever be fit or good enough again. Missing again today. We should loan him out and if he comes good, then great but I have no faith he will. It’s been nearly three years ……

If we’re going to progress, I think it’s our weakest position of the 11.

At left back we have Pervis, Milner and March - much stronger than the options at RB.
I think a lot of people underestimate Veltman’s abilities. He is able to drop behind the right centre back and cover, and does this multiple times per game saving countless goals across a season. I’m not saying a replacement couldn’t also do that, but having a defensive right back is the perfect balance to an extremely attacking left back.

When Veltman drops in, it allows the right centre back and Dunk to shift across and cover the gap Pervis left, forming a temporary back three. If we had a Pervis type bombing down the right as well, we gain another attacking option but lose a lot of protection on the counter attack.

Veltman does a lot of unsung stuff in the middle and is one of my first names on the team sheet personally. I really rate him.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I'm sure we've noticed how much Milner 'coaches' some players on the pitch?
Arm around Enciso, then Mitoma after goal, assist actions vs Wolves...a strong few words of support, advice in their ears. Brilliant stuff.
Like having a coach on the pitch, same when Lallana is playing

Jimmy Grimble

Exactly, and I'm sure it's team RDZ, Dunk, Lallana, Milner who conflab and ensure it happens. Such a benefit to the less experienced players.
Gross too.

AlexBH

Nov 19, 2017
Wasn’t everyone singing his praises after the first game against Luton? Think anyone would struggle against Doku, he’s so fast. Maybe Veltman could’ve contained him better though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports