Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] James Milner sings

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Much better at left back, but Ajax came for a 0-0 and then looked like they had settled for 2-0.
He can do a job against teams that aren't going to attack much.

Happy that he proved himself after Saturday, but let's not get carried away.
After which people got carried away, you mean? :lol:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Ajax obviously tried to isolate him in the first half but once we basically cut there supply off to that winger Milner had a great game.
A bit off topic but the Ajax right back had a great game against Mitoma.
To the point where Mitoma seemed to go very central at times, just to get away from him!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I would say did his job excellent is pushing it a bit.
He was part of a defence that kept a clean sheet for the first time in 17 games. In Brighton's THIRD ever European game. And he's 37 and had a such a shocker the previous game that he got hooked at half-time.

Regardless of who they were playing and how Ajax played, I'd say all of the back four were excellent.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Massively let down by Adingra who gave him no help at all…….
Agreed with you Saturday, and this was further proven last evening,

Milner with Mitoma helping him, was much better. Appreciate it was an inferior opponent, but 1 on 1 was not an issue because there was cover.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes definitely have to hold my hands up over here and admit that I wasn't too happy to see him starting again (but understanding of the fact that we are seriously short on options), but that I thought he played very well in the end. Loved when he clattered their winger (fairly - won the ball first) down in the North East corner in the first half 👏
Right in front of me. It was a superb tackle.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I can only echo that mitoma and he partnered well and I was impressed with his timing and positional play. That he was in the box early 1st half to get a shot away too was impressive.

All back 5 (inc webster) looked balanced and solid. I know ajax were poor but they did break quickly when they could be bothered

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Agreed with you Saturday, and this was further proven last evening,

Milner with Mitoma helping him, was much better. Appreciate it was an inferior opponent, but 1 on 1 was not an issue because there was cover.
But this seems to be lost in, nearly every full back looks bad if they're left one on one with a decent winger and they can get the ball easily. By all accounts Walker ( probably the best and quickest full back in the PL) looked under pressure when this happened with Mitoma on Saturday

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
After which people got carried away, you mean? :lol:
Did they though?

He was massively exposed on Saturday.
Not his fault at all, but him playing as a full back against an attacking team, is a tactical risk, that will be exploited.

He should be ok for the next few league games , but when both fit, Veltman and Estupinan have to start against attacking teams.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
He got far enough upfield to have a shot on target……
:shrug:

nHRtaf.gif

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Did they though?

He was massively exposed on Saturday.
Not his fault at all, but him playing as a full back against an attacking team, is a tactical risk, that will be exploited.

He should be ok for the next few league games , but when both fit, Veltman and Estupinan have to start against attacking teams.
Er, yes. Massively.

You only have to look as far as comments on this thread from posters saying they didn't want him anywhere near the starting 11 ever again, how he's 'fcking crap', 'an ageing donkey' and 'one of our worst signings' and questioning the manager.

I'd call that getting carried away, no?

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
He did alright but let's be honest he'll not have an easier days work all season.
Yes this was his first half decent game against one of the worst wingers I've seen this season. Another 15m down the drain for Ajax.

When he gives another 2/3 games like that at fullback I will accept I was wrong.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Yes this was his first half decent game against one of the worst wingers I've seen this season. Another 15m down the drain for Ajax.

When he gives another 2/3 games like that at fullback I will accept I was wrong.
So he's still 'Absolutely useless', a 'donkey', and 'fcking crap'? Nice!

And as for this one: 'If Milly starts as LB Vs Ajax we are fooked.':shrug:

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London

A donkey yes. Maybe not completely useless lol. Let's see after a few more games. I hope I'm wrong.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021

IMO we were lucky that Ajax are utter gash. Milner has a lot to offer but the guy is a midfielder by trade, it would be quite novel to actually try him there.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Er, yes. Massively.

You only have to look as far as comments on this thread from posters saying they didn't want him anywhere near the starting 11 ever again, how he's 'fcking crap', 'an ageing donkey' and 'one of our worst signings' and questioning the manager.

I'd call that getting carried away, no?
Fair enough.

But a half decent performance, in a position he's familiar with, against a lack lustre Ajax , does not make him a starting RB.
I don't want to see him start there again.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Fair enough.

But a half decent performance, in a position he's familiar with, against a lack lustre Ajax , does not make him a starting RB.
I don't want to see him start there again.
I think you may well be disappointed going forward then!

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I think you may well be disappointed going forward then!
Maybe.
But RDZ went to great lengths of saying that Milner wasn't the problem, despite not being asked if he was (and subbing him at half time)
Just like he did after Sanchez dropped the ball at Palace.
De Zerbi always backs his players to the media, but I suspect he knows he made a mistake starting him at RB.

I'm happy to reserve judgement at LB - he has a lot more experience in that position and hasn't let us down yet.
But he hasn't looked confident at RB in any of the games he's played there to date.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here