Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] James Milner sings

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Certainly for the first 20 minutes until, I expect, Adingra was told to track back.
But what is Adingra going to do?

Sure they can double up on Doku, to stop him cutting inside, but when the full back is getting beaten so comfortably on the outside, I really don't see that Adingra's presence or otherwise is going to make loads of difference.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Sure they can double up on Doku, to stop him cutting inside, but when the full back is getting beaten so comfortably on the outside, I really don't see that Adingra's presence or otherwise is going to make loads of difference.
Could have started by at least trying to mark, close down or tackle the player who was passing to Doku half the time rather than aimlessly jogging around in empty space :angry:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Could have started by at least trying to mark, close down or tackle the player who was passing to Doku half the time rather than aimlessly jogging around in empty space :angry:
Well possibly. I just think that this insistence on bringing Adingra into this is deflecting what the problem is here.

Veltman coped all right

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
As a Brighton player I very much hope he does well.

But I'm currently in the camp where I can't see how this won't turn out to be a poor signing.

Three years ago, he could have done a terrific job for us in a similar way to Lallana. But Milner isn't immune to the passing of time. It really doesn't matter if he does well in the bleep test or not. We don't need him to run around slowly for 90 mins. We need players with the pace to be competitive with the opponents they will face.

I could sort of see him used in a role where he is there to help close the game down for 10 mins at the end, but in central midfield, not at full back.

Then there's the opportunity cost. If we have to play a player who is not competitive at this level, we could at least be developing a young player for the future

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
As a Brighton player I very much hope he does well.

But I'm currently in the camp where I can't see how this won't turn out to be a poor signing.

Three years ago, he could have done a terrific job for us in a similar way to Lallana. But Milner isn't immune to the passing of time. It really doesn't matter if he does well in the bleep test or not. We don't need him to run around slowly for 90 mins. We need players with the pace to be competitive with the opponents they will face.

I could sort of see him used in a role where he is there to help close the game down for 10 mins at the end, but in central midfield, not at full back.

Then there's the opportunity cost. If we have to play a player who is not competitive at this level, we could at least be developing a young player for the future
Even he doesn’t play another minute that doesn’t take into account his likely impact off the field……….particularly with so many younger players in the squad in need of decent role models. Given it was a free transfer, sure he’s probably worth his wages for a season.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

De Zerbi’s quotes seemed to suggest he wasn’t angry about the defensive marking as much as the lack of pressure on the ball further forward. He wants the wingers to prevent the passes that leave the full backs one on one.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Even he doesn’t play another minute that doesn’t take into account his likely impact off the field……….particularly with so many younger players in the squad in need of decent role models. Given it was a free transfer, sure he’s probably worth his wages for a season.
Sorry, but that's complete rubbish

We’ve got Dunk, Gross, Lallana, Welbeck and a host of other senior players who are less decorated but still fine role models.

We’re not so well off, we can afford not inconsiderable wages for a senior player we can barely play just because he may or may not set the right example in the training ground.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Sorry, but that's complete rubbish

We’ve got Dunk, Gross, Lallana, Welbeck and a host of other senior players who are less decorated but still fine role models.

We’re not so well off, we can afford not inconsiderable wages for a senior player we can barely play just because he may or may not set the right example in the training ground.
Can only assume the club think differently to you :shrug:

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
From what I’ve seen Milner appears to be one of our worst signings. He was a very good player but clearly well past his best.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here