Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] James Milner sings

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Yep, good performance. The pile on after the City game was way OTT.
'very good', and 'excellent' are not at all accurate descriptions of Milner's performance last night.

He was MASSIVELY more solid than at City (largely because he had very little defending to do) and I'm happy to upgrade my personal JM rating from 'total liability' to 'adequate emergency cover'.

He did okay, though not many would be labelling him 'very good' had Ajax scored from the corner that he needlessly gave away at 0-0, (by messing up a simple header back to Steele), or if Berghuis' shot against the post had gone in (after JM gave him 30 yards of space, then allowed him to easily cut inside for the shot)?

:shrug:

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
'very good', and 'excellent' are not at all accurate descriptions of Milner's performance last night.

He was MASSIVELY more solid than at City (largely because he had very little defending to do) and I'm happy to upgrade my personal JM rating from 'total liability' to 'adequate emergency cover'.

He did okay, though not many would be labelling him 'very good' had Ajax scored from the corner that he needlessly gave away at 0-0, (by messing up a simple header back to Steele), or if Berghuis' shot against the post had gone in (after JM gave him 30 yards of space, then allowed him to easily cut inside for the shot)?

:shrug:
Maybe it wasn’t very good or excellent but I think a bit of embellishment on his performance is ok after the equally not at all accurate, over the top assassination of him as a player after Saturday.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
I would say did his job excellent is pushing it a bit.
Your opinion. I thought everyone was ‘excellent’ last night in a very professional team performance. Seems that’s the general consensus also.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
But this seems to be lost in, nearly every full back looks bad if they're left one on one with a decent winger and they can get the ball easily. By all accounts Walker ( probably the best and quickest full back in the PL) looked under pressure when this happened with Mitoma on Saturday
Fair, but Veltman did well, with the same limited support.

Just pleased Milner did well….

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
He was exposed at City, but played well last night. Thought Sidwell made a good point on TNT that you can’t underestimate the value that his experience and influence brings to the dressing room, which I think we’d all agree with and accept - if we win!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Maybe it wasn’t very good or excellent but I think a bit of embellishment on his performance is ok after the equally not at all accurate, over the top assassination of him as a player after Saturday.
Agree to a point, but he was awful last Saturday, though I maintain that Adringa gave him next to nothing in the way of support.

@hans kraay fan club - best player for me Thursday night. Maybe not excellent, but I would argue ‘very good’.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Nearly cost us a goal in the first few minutes with a complete carcrash of an attempted clearance, but otherwise he was alright.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
IMG_1365.png

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Looks much better in midfield
But more on the wing, than in the centre I think. His quality of delivery is still there, his 5 or 10 yard passing is as good as anyone's and he tackles hard and covers well.

The pace thing is an issue, but he's been among our top performers in the last couple of games.

I was pretty sniffy about us signing the bloke I admit, but in these wet winter months, when we've got a load of injuries and a load of youngsters out his contribution has been valuable.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I do like having him around the team. A couple of wayward passes last night but overall had a good game and like Gross and Lallana, he has a knack for making the right decision on how and when to use the ball. Playing around these guys can only benefit the likes of Gilmour and Buonanotte who's decision making is the biggest thing they need to work on and will come with age and experience of playing with them.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
For those of a certain age, surely a reworking of the old Fred Wedlock song to "Oldest Winger In Town" would be appropriate for Milner now.
Do you reckon he rubs on Vick where he used to splash Brut? Or when he walks in the changing room and they offer him a seat? Then he is the oldest winger in town.

Only Mrs Milner knows if it take him all night to do what he used to do all night.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
He’s ok on the left if he has a winger outside him because of his lack of pace. Good stand-in here though, as he would be in a defensive midfield role where he can both tackle and pick a pass.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here