[Albion] Jahanbaksh as Striker?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He got stuck in, he's no lightweight was the point I was trying to make. MAybe you missed the game.

Wish I had! Uber didn’t work, my phone went flat trying to arrange a taxi, ended up walking for over an hour to my hotel, AND the game was absolute shit and an embarrassment imo. City didn’t need to get out of 1st gear.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
AJ signs for a billion pounds, has a run of games as a left winger, and/or as an attacker on the left of a front three, and very much fails to convince.

AJ fanboys "It isn't his fault. He needs to play in his most favouritist position on the right".

AJ gets a run of games as a right winger / as an attacker on the right of a front three, and (other than two goals, and one really good cross) fails to convince again, then goes missing in a run of crucial games and gets sidelined.

AJ fanboys "It isn't his fault. He needs to play in his most favouritist position up front" (despite him never having played up front, ever).

I admire your loyalty and patience.

You have completely misread the point of this post. It's more a case of working with him to get the best out of him than sticking him in any old position for a game and expecting miracles. Wouldn't class myself as a Jahanbaksh fan boy but also not going to write him off because he hasn't scored 20 goals a season has he even played 20 games a season for us? By the way he's never had a consistent run of games in any position and when he scored two in two after one bad game he was benched again for the rest of the season.

Can you please tell me 3 games where he's played right wing for us of the top of my head can't think of one. Also, find one where he's started up front and played badly before writing him off in that position too.

Also, nobody here has stated his "favouritist" ( not a word by the way ) position just voicing the possibility we have been utilising him wrong and backing it up with valid points.

In conclusion you are offering nothing productive to the conversation and making yourself sound a bit like a hater.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Wish I had! Uber didn’t work, my phone went flat trying to arrange a taxi, ended up walking for over an hour to my hotel, AND the game was absolute shit and an embarrassment imo. City didn’t need to get out of 1st gear.

AJ's battle with Walker was the highlight for me. And showed me his ability to compete and get stuck in and show some fight.

As you say, we otherwise rolled over before the first ball was kicked, I'd rather we tried and lost 5-2 or something. embarassing really.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The club wanted to ship him. Like the AZ sports director said: Brighton offered him to them.

His wage is too high and there is probably no way of getting rid of him. The result is that perhaps Ali J is "the new striker" everyone is crying for.

If its going to work out? Well, he got some strikeresque qualities. It wouldnt be the weirdest thing if he turns out to be a decent backup for Neal & Aaron.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
You’re new here, it’s prerequisite of becoming an NSC Mod :lolol:

I have noticed a few of them. Don't fully understand the consistent negativity other than it adds balance.. Didn't expect to find an older generation of trolls on a football forum to be honest thought they were just on twitter. You can find them in the comment section of the argus albion reports as well. It's quite amusing.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
I’m expecting to see Maupay play on his own in a central role quite often, with 2 attack mids just behind or wide of him. All J, Trossard, Connolley, March, Lallana, Izqueirdo (supposedly back?), Groß and some youngsters all filling that role.

At a pinch, may even see Propper playing ahead of a midfield two in a Groß like role.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I have noticed a few of them. Don't fully understand the consistent negativity other than it adds balance.. Didn't expect to find an older generation of trolls on a football forum to be honest thought they were just on twitter. You can find them in the comment section of the argus albion reports as well. It's quite amusing.

You're barking up very much the wrong tree, I'm afraid.

You'll see very, very few 'negative' posts from me about any aspect of the way the club is run, or is headed. Nor about the management team (the current or past ones).

We will never all rate every player. The one under discussion here has unfortunately come up short, thus far, and is presumably only still with us, because nobody else wants him at the wage we're committed to paying. That's not his fault - he seems a really hard-working, likeable guy, who desperately wants to do well - we all saw what his first goal meant to him. I don't 'hate' him - that's a ridiculous and childish thing to suggest. I simply don't think he's been very good - and it amuses me, the lengths people will go to to explain that away.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I’m expecting to see Maupay play on his own in a central role quite often, with 2 attack mids just behind or wide of him. All J, Trossard, Connolley, March, Lallana, Izqueirdo (supposedly back?), Groß and some youngsters all filling that role.

At a pinch, may even see Propper playing ahead of a midfield two in a Groß like role.

All possible . . .as is pretty much anything with GP and his special acid fuelled blender approach. Ryan, Dunk, then anything goes. . . .

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
I've not seen anything from AJ to suggest he has the attributes to make a top division striker.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Granny on the wing

Sep 7, 2019
The club wanted to ship him. Like the AZ sports director said: Brighton offered him to them.

His wage is too high and there is probably no way of getting rid of him. The result is that perhaps Ali J is "the new striker" everyone is crying for.

If its going to work out? Well, he got some strikeresque qualities. It wouldnt be the weirdest thing if he turns out to be a decent backup for Neal & Aaron.

It does make you wonder what the conversation was between GP and TB with TB wanting to know has he got value for his 17mill spent. Maybe he will get more minutes this season then we can really decide once and for all .Maybe Potter likes wing backs more although why central defenders as wing backs not sure about that .

Shins

Aug 13, 2015
AJ signs for a billion pounds, has a run of games as a left winger, and/or as an attacker on the left of a front three, and very much fails to convince.

AJ fanboys "It isn't his fault. He needs to play in his most favouritist position on the right".

AJ gets a run of games as a right winger / as an attacker on the right of a front three, and (other than two goals, and one really good cross) fails to convince again, then goes missing in a run of crucial games and gets sidelined.

AJ fanboys "It isn't his fault. He needs to play in his most favouritist position up front" (despite him never having played up front, ever).

You have completely misread the point of this post. It's more a case of working with him to get the best out of him than sticking him in any old position for a game and expecting miracles. Wouldn't class myself as a Jahanbaksh fan boy but also not going to write him off because he hasn't scored 20 goals a season has he even played 20 games a season for us? By the way he's never had a consistent run of games in any position and when he scored two in two after one bad game he was benched again for the rest of the season.

Can you please tell me 3 games where he's played right wing for us of the top of my head can't think of one. Also, find one where he's started up front and played badly before writing him off in that position too.

Also, nobody here has stated his "favouritist" ( not a word by the way ) position just voicing the possibility we have been utilising him wrong and backing it up with valid points.

In conclusion you are offering nothing productive to the conversation and making yourself sound a bit like a hater.

Not a fan of this site, but it'll do for this discussion - https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ali...ils/spieler/213268/wettbewerb/GB1/verein/1237

He has started as a right winger 3 games in a row only once, back in October/November 2018. When he scored a couple of goals this past season, he only started 2 of 3 games before dropping out of the side again (not exactly a run).

He has not had a chance to prove himself on the pitch.

I would expect a new player, regardless of whether they are foreign or not, to need to play 10/15 games on the spin in their preferred position to get up to speed and start playing to their potential. Sometimes it only takes a few games, sometimes it can take a whole season. Going to go by his record in Holland and his cameo's on the pitch for us, he get's into good/dangerous attacking positions, touch is decent, seems to be a natural goalscorer and works relatively hard. A lack of out and out pace is obvious, but that hasn't stopped us playing Gross and Mooy in the wider areas (note I have not said on the wing).

Anyone that uses the argument, 'well the manager see's him everyday in training', does have a point. However, if he's not showing enough in training just sell/loan the poor lad. He must be doing a lot right to still be here, in which case give him a fair go. If he's doing a lot right but just has unfortunately been superseded by better players arriving since he joined, again, just let him go.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Rest of it = inability to control a football, assist and score goals having been tracked by the recruitment team for a couple of seasons before he signed. But, he can strike a football as evidenced by his overhead kick and the 30 yarder that hit the bar in his first season. With Maupay, Ali J is the most expensive signing in our club’s history and he has not delivered. Sometimes think he might be a doppelgänger of the bloke who scored for fun in Holland

Inability to score goals?

He barely featured for us last season. And when he did he had a definite impact.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

How he performed in an ultra defensive Hughton side is one thing, but he hardly started for us last season under Potter, so your argument falls apart there.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
As most of the other strikers we've been associated with have signed for other clubs, and waiting on a possible deal for Brewster is a huge risk (given that several other clubs seem to be interested, and Liverpool don't seem to be in any hurry to loan or sell him), I think this a good suggestion.

Play Ali as a striker, and see how he performs in that role between now and January.

You’re off your rocker mate. Fail to get in a decent striker and loss of form or injury to Maupay and we’ll be cut adrift by January.

Wouldn’t be at all surprised if the club tries to scrimp in this way and claim they’re happy with attacking options, but it would be a distrastous decision if Maupay can’t play or has a dip in form.

All eggs in the Brewster basket? Give Ali J “a try” for 4 months, both madness.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Not a fan of this site, but it'll do for this discussion - https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ali...ils/spieler/213268/wettbewerb/GB1/verein/1237

He has started as a right winger 3 games in a row only once, back in October/November 2018. When he scored a couple of goals this past season, he only started 2 of 3 games before dropping out of the side again (not exactly a run).

He has not had a chance to prove himself on the pitch.

I would expect a new player, regardless of whether they are foreign or not, to need to play 10/15 games on the spin in their preferred position to get up to speed and start playing to their potential. Sometimes it only takes a few games, sometimes it can take a whole season. Going to go by his record in Holland and his cameo's on the pitch for us, he get's into good/dangerous attacking positions, touch is decent, seems to be a natural goalscorer and works relatively hard. A lack of out and out pace is obvious, but that hasn't stopped us playing Gross and Mooy in the wider areas (note I have not said on the wing).

Anyone that uses the argument, 'well the manager see's him everyday in training', does have a point. However, if he's not showing enough in training just sell/loan the poor lad. He must be doing a lot right to still be here, in which case give him a fair go. If he's doing a lot right but just has unfortunately been superseded by better players arriving since he joined, again, just let him go.

Thank you [emoji122][emoji122]

It feels like a waste of time though, some people just like to accept a common narrative. This thread is good evidence of that. “He’s had plenty of chances”.. um. He hardly played under Potter actually, but don’t let the facts get in the way.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Didn’t Locadia score goals in Holland? Like A LOT? Players coming to the PL from that league seem to be really hit and miss.

Because the PL is rated first or second best league in Europe (interchanging with Spain).

Then in order it’s.
Germany
Italy
France
Portugal
Russia
Belgium
Ukraine
And in 10th Holland.

Even the Belgian and Ukrainian leagues are rated higher. Doesn’t means it’s impossible, and Veltman looks very capable thus far, but big gulf in quality.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Didn’t Locadia score goals in Holland? Like A LOT? Players coming to the PL from that league seem to be really hit and miss.

He actually didnt score that much even if it was looking good the season he left. But generally he scored a lot less than you would expect from a PSV striker and I think they were jumping with joy when that bid came.

Because the PL is rated first or second best league in Europe (interchanging with Spain).

Then in order it’s.
Germany
Italy
France
Portugal
Russia
Belgium
Ukraine
And in 10th Holland.

Even the Belgian and Ukrainian leagues are rated higher. Doesn’t means it’s impossible, and Veltman looks very capable thus far, but big gulf in quality.

Yup. The Eredivisie is definitely not a very good league, but it is also always one of the (if not THE) youngest league on average every year, so you can always find 10+ players that will become excellent footballers. Tricky thing is to find out who they are.

The ranking obviously doesnt tell the whole story. I'd say the Eredivisie is better than the Jupiler League (Belgium), if you look at the mid/bottom teams as well. At the same time, both are worse than the Championship, which is probably the sixth or seventh best league in Europe. While Ajax and probably PSV would likely win it, at least half of the Dutch teams would be relegated in the Championship.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports