Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jahanbaksh as Striker?

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
These stats from last season, per 90 minutes, shed some light on AJ's lack of game time.

I've ranked each player in order for each criteria.

Chances created
1st PG : 3.0
2nd LT : 1.9
3rd AJ : 1.2
4th SM : 1.1

Assists
=1st PG : 0.2
=1st LT : 0.2
2nd SM : 0.1
3rd AJ : 0.0

Passes Attempted
1st PG : 45.1
2nd SM : 38.8
3rd AJ : 32.8
4th LT : 31.8

Passing Accuracy %
1st PG : 79.4
2nd SM : 77.7
3rd AJ : 75.0
4th LT : 74.5

Crosses Attempted
1st PG : 7.8
2nd AJ : 7.1
3rd SM : 5.3
4th LT : 3.4

Crossing Accuracy %
1st PG : 32.2
2nd LT : 25.3
3rd SM : 19.4
4th AJ : 0.0

Shots
1st AJ : 2.4
2nd LT : 1.5
3rd SM : 1.2
4th PG : 1.0

Shooting accuracy %
1st SM : 53.3
2nd PG : 45.0
3rd LT : 36.3
4th AJ : 25.0

Goals scored
1st AJ : 0.6
2nd LT : 0.3
3rd PG : 0.1
4th SM : 0.0

Take-ons completed
1st AJ : 2.4
=2nd SM : 1.3
=2nd LT : 1.3
3rd PG : 0.3

Take-on success %
1st SM : 57.1
2nd LT : 54.7
3rd AJ : 53.3
4th PG : 42.8

Ball recoveries
1st SM : 5.0
2nd AJ : 4.7
3rd LT : 4.5
4th PG : 4.2

Possession lost
1st LT : 15.9
2nd PG : 18.1
3rd SM : 18.5
4th AJ : 21.4

So in summary, after adding all 4 players ranking in each criteria, here is their average rank.

1st Pascal Gross 2.16
2nd Solly Marsh 2.38
3rd Leandro Trossard 2.46
4th Alireza Jahanbakhsh 2.69

Despite scoring more goals, Alireza is a long way behind his direct rival Pascal Gross overall.

And to answer the OP. NO, his 25% shooting accuracy is not what we need in a striker.

Appreciate the effort but this has to be taken with a pinch of salt.. As stated before he hasn't been played consistently in the positions he's excelled at for Iran and AZ. Furthermore, pretty sure Benteke one of the best shooting accuracy stats in Europe when he was at Villa then look at what he's been like for Palace. I say try it in the cup competition it could be an unlikely solution.

Granny on the wing

Sep 7, 2019
I’m going to be so annoyed if he’s played as a striker this season, and scores a hatful of goals.

The last two seasons of bed wetting, waking at night in a panic cos of a our striker situation, and all the time we had one sitting on the bench,( or the stand, or the treatment room).:rant::rant: :angry:

Was he not a striker in Holland as in a right sided Trossard type of player ?. So maybe he is not a winger after all. Maybe if Maupay and Connolly both get injured he will get in but it seems he does not fit in with the wing back style of GP . AJ is more likely to come on as sub to offer something different as GP has said . We need another striker but he will want to start games if it is someone like Brewster otherwise he won`t come to Brighton .

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Don't you get it, we are being primed with this Ali J as a striker talk, no one is coming to fill the striker position.

... by NSC members. Potter only said he wants to try to get more goals from him.

A new striker arriving is still very likely and if it doesnt happy, Gyökeres is unlikely to move.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
... by NSC members. Potter only said he wants to try to get more goals from him.

A new striker arriving is still very likely and if it doesnt happy, Gyökeres is unlikely to move.

Gyökeres is not the answer, he hardly set Bundesliga 2 alight last year from what I saw.....

would be extremely disappointed if this was the plan, although happy to be proved wrong...

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Gyökeres is not the answer, he hardly set Bundesliga 2 alight last year from what I saw.....

would be extremely disappointed if this was the plan, although happy to be proved wrong...

It was a pretty dumb loan deal tbf. He had to compete with two of the best Bundesliga 2 strikers and had to play as winger a lot. Difficult to judge him from that. But sure, I agree its pretty far from certain that he is PL class.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
What are we calling a striker now? Playing in a front 3 doesn’t mean he is a striker. Very ambiguous term, but if we’re suggested playing up top in a 442 then personally I think he would need a monumental change in physical presence to make it work.. His movement I would also question. In my head I only see him running in straight lines. I can’t see him bending runs and leading a CB away from Maups to open space. Nor can I remember him ever heading the ball. I really, really want it to work out for him. I rate him as possibly our most technical player but IMO is still to get to the pace of the PL.

Fingers crossed for him. A great guy and on his day a really useful player. We’ve seen some encouraging performances from him but one swallow doesn’t make a summer. Admittedly I have no idea how he faired V WBA.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
What are we calling a striker now? Playing in a front 3 doesn’t mean he is a striker. Very ambiguous term, but if we’re suggested playing up top in a 442 then personally I think he would need a monumental change in physical presence to make it work.. His movement I would also question. In my head I only see him running in straight lines. I can’t see him bending runs and leading a CB away from Maups to open space. Nor can I remember him ever heading the ball. I really, really want it to work out for him. I rate him as possibly our most technical player but IMO is still to get to the pace of the PL.

Fingers crossed for him. A great guy and on his day a really useful player. We’ve seen some encouraging performances from him but one swallow doesn’t make a summer. Admittedly I have no idea how he faired V WBA.

What is a striker these days.. Bobby Firmino, Antonio anyone who plays down the middle? I probably should have worded the post better but I basically mean in an around the number 9 position. If you watched the first clip he scored 4 or 5 headed goals, lots of variety in his finishing. Especially in from the right and at corners I could be very wrong but I think he suits a forward role as a striking option more than a wing back or as a left winger where you don't get the best out of him.

Granny on the wing

Sep 7, 2019
What is a striker these days.. Bobby Firmino, Antonio anyone who plays down the middle? I probably should have worded the post better but I basically mean in an around the number 9 position. If you watched the first clip he scored 4 or 5 headed goals, lots of variety in his finishing. Especially in from the right and at corners I could be very wrong but I think he suits a forward role as a striking option more than a wing back or as a left winger where you don't get the best out of him.

If he is not getting games maybe he could be the Penalty taking coach ?

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.

I don't disagree / think it's unrealistic so much - I just think it's quite an ask physically for him to adapt that way in the PL. His build is similar to Lewandowski in height, broadness, pace. Similar to Kane I suppose. All quite naturally lanky guys.

However someone like Lewa totally reinvented themselves. Among his mates Lewa is nicknamed 'the body'... a total tank, you should check it out. I'd guess 0-5% body fat. I think that's the kind of levels Alireza would have to reach to be successful as a 9. Because he isn't overwhelmingly fast, so (like Kane) it would be oriented around his technique and strength. Fair point about the heading. Surprised to see those and proves he has it in the locker. That would only be improved with a more physical presence IMO.

Really interesting observation though, I'm up for it.

FF1

Aug 28, 2019
I hear some say that after he scored his two goals in two games, GP started him for a game or two but he did not perfrom... I wonder how you justify Maupay's 9 game goalless run or Connally's god knows how many games without a goal run.

I see that people on this forum like statistics... I won't put names next to them but let you figure out which one is Maupay, Trossard, Connolly and Jahanbakhsh in the 2019/2020 season:

10 goals in 2770 minutes of play
5 goals in 2012 minutes of play
3 goals in 1259 minutes of play
2 goals in 307 minutes of play

I'll let the statisticians figure out who has the best record of minute of play per goal... Hint: He was not born in the this continent.

I am not saying that he is a better player based on this stat. I am just trying to point out that statistics are tricky and need a lot of context to be meaningful. And most definitely, ranking players in different soccer stats and adding the rankings and deciding who is the best player is completely useless. Especially when players played different positions during the season. Be careful of raw statistics and how you use it.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I hear some say that after he scored his two goals in two games, GP started him for a game or two but he did not perfrom... I wonder how you justify Maupay's 9 game goalless run or Connally's god knows how many games without a goal run.

I see that people on this forum like statistics... I won't put names next to them but let you figure out which one is Maupay, Trossard, Connolly and Jahanbakhsh in the 2019/2020 season:

I'll let the statisticians figure out who has the best record of minute of play per goal... Hint: He was not born in the this continent.

I am not saying that he is a better player based on this stat. I am just trying to point out that statistics are tricky and need a lot of context to be meaningful. And most definitely, ranking players in different soccer stats and adding the rankings and deciding who is the best player is completely useless. Especially when players played different positions during the season. Be careful of raw statistics and how you use it.

[emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

Well said. Please post more.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Indeed. I really hope that Ali J gets a proper run in the side as a forward this season. I have yet to see him have a bad game (by that I mean a game where he was asked to do what he can do, and failed). Also, he does things so quickly and simply and cleverly many (I won't say most....oh, OK most) of our dunderhead supporters simply miss what happened, and just complain that he hasn't scored (when he's stuck out in no man's land as a sodding wing half). Shift him into a front three and goal magic will happen.

My only criticism of GPott in his tenure so far is that he has not yet harnessed this and I don't know why. But I love GPott so I am content to leave him with his reasons. And so it goes. At the end of the day I trust in the manager, even if he does remind me of E.L. Wisty. I'm hoping the latter is just an act.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
GPott sees him every day in training. That he's not played him virtually at all since he's arrived, says a lot to me.

Seems a nice bloke and obviously skilled looking at his AZ career and the overhead kick was my goal of the season by far. But still GPott not playing him speaks volumes

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
I'd love it to happen for him as I like him as a player.

However I watched him in the World Cup where he struggled to keep his place in the Iran side and hoped that we didn't sign him back then.

He's been a very expensive waste of money.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here