Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ivan Toney

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
It’s hardly an addiction given the number of bets over the time period. Works out a few bets a week. There’s a lot of normal folk that dabble in betting that bet more frequently than that without being addicted.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
It’s hardly an addiction given the number of bets over the time period. Works out a few bets a week. There’s a lot of normal folk that dabble in betting that bet more frequently than that without being addicted.
The 200 bets in question are the football-related ones, there are plenty of other things to bet on that wouldn't be included in this investigation.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
This is the issue. This club is funded by a man who sells data to gamblers. No sense of irony.

Screenshot_20230526_185445_BBC Sport.jpg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I wonder if Southgate and others would have leapt to the defense of, say, Joey Barton, had he been caught betting on his own team to lose?

Reactions: cjd

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Should have been banned for a lot longer and actually why is this not a criminal action? What is the difference between this and a banker who steals money or a stockbroker carrying out insider trading. Disrgraceful that he bet on matches of his own team to lose., That crosses a totally different line to just betting on football in general. He should be finished as a footballer.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Should have been banned for a lot longer and actually why is this not a criminal action? What is the difference between this and a banker who steals money or a stockbroker carrying out insider trading. Disrgraceful that he bet on matches of his own team to lose., That crosses a totally different line to just betting on football in general. He should be finished as a footballer.
Sadly I agree. He can claim what he likes but if he hadn’t have been caught he would still be doing it today. He must’ve known he was addicted or at the least in danger of being addicted. He had the money to seek professional help and if Brentford don’t have a welfare, etc person to provide that support then shame on them.

I’ve never criticised Southgate (well not as much as some) but he’s made a complete fool of himself by treating Toney as the victim rather than the criminal, cheating, greedy b*****d.

I’ve not read the entire thread so apologies if I’ve repeated what others have said

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Hope he gets help he needs
This, of course. Same goes for an alcoholic caught drink driving.

Mind you, if it was a 200th offence the help would have to come after the punishment.

One thing I don't understand is that presumably Brentford spoke to him when the story broke. Presumably he fessed up. So did the club then send him off to get help....or just keep playing him....I don't know the facts, here.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
So is Paqueta going to be the same as Toney? Charged (and enjoying it in his case) but playing on and helping his side until they can hide the punishment in the close season?

Certainly had an impact yesterday!

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
So is Paqueta going to be the same as Toney? Charged (and enjoying it in his case) but playing on and helping his side until they can hide the punishment in the close season?

Certainly had an impact yesterday!
It’s looking that way.

But, a Big Six is interested in signing him so perhaps the authorities will try and get this done by Sept 1st so he can have his big move.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Been listening to some of Toney's interview - he's an even bigger idiot than I thought. For example, trying to say the 'rules aren't clear' (they are) and it's a 'grey area' (it isn't) and then goes on to say “None of it was match fixing. I was betting on myself to score first. I’m trying to do the right thing. It’s not like I’m smashing someone to get a yellow card” (unfortunately the interviewer didn't ask him what would happen if , say, he was in a 2 v 1 with the ball and the other player was in a better position to score.......). Also thinks he's been treated more harshly than someone in the lower leagues would be.

Cornwallboy

Oct 13, 2022
I find this very hard to believe as per his interview today:

He also recalled that the scandal led to him being turned away by car insurers and restaurants.

The 27-year-old said: 'I remember at the time when there was allegations, I wanted to go to a restaurant and they were like "no you can't - we're not taking you".
'I was like "what do you mean?" And then it was "the allegations, we're not allowing you in or something like this. I was actually so confused. I was thinking "for starters, it's allegations and second of all you are a restaurant how can you not let someone in because of bad press?"

'I was just baffled, and my car insurance, they wouldn't insure me due to the whole scandal. And I was like "car insurance? They won't have me on their books?". It was baffling.

Seriously would a restaurant really turn him away because he's in breach of FA betting regulations? Maybe they did but I do find it very hard to believe? Likewise car insurance as well. He's waving the sympathy card a bit too much in my opinion.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Been listening to some of Toney's interview - he's an even bigger idiot than I thought. For example, trying to say the 'rules aren't clear' (they are) and it's a 'grey area' (it isn't) and then goes on to say “None of it was match fixing. I was betting on myself to score first. I’m trying to do the right thing. It’s not like I’m smashing someone to get a yellow card” (unfortunately the interviewer didn't ask him what would happen if , say, he was in a 2 v 1 with the ball and the other player was in a better position to score.......). Also thinks he's been treated more harshly than someone in the lower leagues would be.
I listened to what I assume is the same interview - Diary of a CEO?

I thought he came across pretty much how I expected, as if he were living in a bubble slightly separate from reality. I certainly understand why the FA fought the gambling addiction diagnosis and I think a lot of people will come away from it probably on the FA's side. I think the length of the ban is arbitrary, I don't think it was really based on anything concrete other than wanting to punish him and get him banned. The FA don't seem brilliant at meting out punishments.

He seemed a nice enough fella, seemed quite open and honest but came across to me as being a bit dim but with a real determination to succeed, belief in himself and a really positive outlook. That said, he didn't seem like the sort of bloke I'd want to sit down and have a conversation with.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here