Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ivan Toney

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Blimey, I can't even bet on Brighton to lose, and I don't even play for the club.

Peppermint Tea

Aug 31, 2007
Bloody Ada, I assumed it would be bets not involving his team. Presuming he played in those games, then you're absolutely right - 8 months feels very skinny for betting on something he could have directly influenced. That's in the realms of insider trading/criminal activity.

EDIT: just seen that he DIDN'T play in any of those matches.

Last edited:

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Full report is here:

He is very lucky to only get 8 months. If he had played in any of those games when he bet on his team to lose, it would've been a lot worse.

However, he has a gambling addiction. How wrong is it we make gambling front and centre of our sport with young men having to advertise something that is ruining their life.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Bloody Ada, I assumed it would be bets not involving his team. Presuming he played in those games, then you're absolutely right - 8 months feels very skinny for betting on something he could have directly influenced. That's in the realms of insider trading/criminal activity.

EDIT: just seen that he DIDN'T play in any of those matches.
He did - he was betting on himself to score in some of them.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
He’s gotten off very lightly. 8 months rather than 15 months because of the guilty plea. I hope that he takes his punishment as an opportunity to seek help for his addiction. It’s right that he is punished, but he must use this as a wake up call - and others must heed it too. Addiction is no joke and I hope he is getting appropriate treatment to overcome this.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
8.5 A further 15 of the 126 bets or instructions to bet were placed by Mr Toney to score in 9 different matches all of which he played in. All of those 15 bets or instructions to bet were initiated by Mr Toney at a time when it would not have been public knowledge that he was starting or playing in the fixture. (Column 6 of the Guidelines with a sports sanction range of 6 months to life suspension);

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
He clearly needs help - I hope he gets it.

HOWEVER, why has this taken so long to resolve?

How can it be right that he has played and scored so many goals for Brentford when it was known what he had done/

His goals may well help Brentford into Europe.

8 month ban (a lot of which is in the close season) now seems lenient to me.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I’m assuming he placed these bets in someone else’s name?

How is it possible that a bookmaker wouldn’t notice this if not? I’m assuming he was placing fairly large bets so it’s something they definitely would have noticed if he was doing it in his own name.

Swimboy64

Oct 19, 2022
Would he want to address his addiction if he hadn’t been caught out,I very much doubt it but he’s used it as a weapon to get a reduced ban.The pysciatrist involved said he would undergo therapy to get 8 moon instead of 11 so it’s all about a swerve

Reactions: cjd

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Just listening on Talk Sport the FA have released the findings on his betting trial .
Betting on his own team to lose etc.
He is a lucky boy just to get 8 months
Oh the irony. A radio station that plugs betting every few minutes, with the hollow (but legally required) proviso rushed out at speed 'Gamble responsibly yadda yadda.' I doubt any of the Toney detractors listen to, and thereby support, Talksport though.
(And we're off)
:lolol: :wink:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I'd get someone to say I was addicted too if it meant reducing the penalty by three months.

I totally understand gambling addiction, it's horrible. But this pattern of betting, mainly in games he was involved in or in games his side had an interest in, smacks of greed not addiction.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Oh the irony. A radio station that plugs betting every few minutes, with the hollow (but legally required) proviso rushed out at speed 'Gamble responsibly yadda yadda.' I doubt any of the Toney detractors listen to, and thereby support, Talksport though.
(And we're off)
:lolol: :wink:
It's worse than that. There was a segment sponsored by bet365 or one of those firms that is something like topic "topic of the day". And without any sense of irony, the topic was discussing. Toney and his punishment"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here