Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ivan toney going to be in trouble - BANNED for 8 months to 17th Jan 2024

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
He’d already pleaded guilty before he played and scored at the Amex for them. I know this is Albion hat on but…. Doesn’t seem fair….
Usual FA complete lack of awareness. He scored in Brentford's draw against Villa in April too.

He also scored an equaliser away at Arsenal in February, although I believe that was before he had admitted some level of guilt. Had the title race not been all but settled, could you imagine the furore that this would have caused with Brentford still to play City?

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
He’d already pleaded guilty before he played and scored at the Amex for them. I know this is Albion hat on but…. Doesn’t seem fair….
Yep the FA's decision making process has to be questioned here, however apparently he would've been a doubt for Spurs with a knock anyway...
This is what I'm telling myself :wozza:

Telboy

Who Are You
Jul 6, 2003
WSU
Why wait until the season is virtually finished, 8 months means 5 and with an appeal will be playing next season

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Hope you're enjoying.....everything.
Thanks - not enjoying Toney being banned for the Spurs game, but enjoying Madrid being schooled by City. Madrid have won the CL 5 times out of the last 9 (which is mad), but City are tearing them a new one.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Just because you advertise it on your shirt, doesn’t mean you have a free reign to have a punt.

The system is broken, as in the gambling industry has too much power in football BUT a footballer knows they can’t bet on football or give information to others to bet on football, it’s that simple, nobody knows the exact bets or breaches but it’s clear they just have been very damning and significant for a ban of this length.

I’m not sure how anyone can defend Toney, if this isn’t punished harshly it opens up a massive can of worms for the FA, they can’t be lenient because it’s sets a precedent for other players.

All professional footballers know they can’t bet on any football, anywhere in the world, ever, Toney knew this and did it anyway.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Again it has shown what a f*** up the authorities are. Here's someone who has admitted to the offences yet gets banned firstly giving an unfair advantage in the current season to an important final 2 games, but bans someone when there's no games. It's a joke.

Stephen Seagull

Oct 6, 2015
Barcelona
So his ban starts now, continues during an "off-season" where he wouldn't be playing anyway and he's allowed back into a starting lineup only 4 months into a season.

Let's get ready for the Man City ruling to be a large fine and nothing else...

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Stumbled on an article about a lower-league Rugby player in Australia who copped a ban after being found to have deliberately injured a ref. The ban was set at X weeks, and I thought "that's hefty" ... and then the hammer dropped. It was X weeks excluding off-season. Turns out it's a 5-year ban, absolute maximum that world rugby allows.

Bit that stood out to me was that the ban duration would only be reduced during the playing season. IMO, that's the right way to go about it if you're going to issue a ban from playing a sport. The ban needs to cover when you'd actually be playing.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The sentence was made by an independent panel which the FA referred the case to, once Toney had accepted the charges. Kieran Tripper got banned for 10 weeks for 7 breaches of the rules - Toney has admitted to 230-odd breaches, so given that context, 8 months doesn't seem overly harsh as some seem to think.

The fact that part of it takes place in off-season is just due to the timing of the verdict, but it does mean he will obviously miss pre-season training as well as ALL training, until mid-Jan. That'll proper stuff up his season, it'll be a hell of a long time before he's back up to speed. He's hardly going to hit the ground running for Brentford when he's allowed to return.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
The sentence was made by an independent panel which the FA referred the case to, once Toney had accepted the charges. Kieran Tripper got banned for 10 weeks for 7 breaches of the rules - Toney has admitted to 230-odd breaches, so given that context, 8 months doesn't seem overly harsh as some seem to think.

The fact that part of it takes place in off-season is just due to the timing of the verdict, but it does mean he will obviously miss pre-season training as well as ALL training, until mid-Jan. That'll proper stuff up his season, it'll be a hell of a long time before he's back up to speed. He's hardly going to hit the ground running for Brentford when he's allowed to return.
If Brentford/Toney were clever, they'd ensure that he would have what amounts to an isolated pre-season and continue to be as ready as possible for his return (which might be sooner than eight months if they decide to appeal on whatever grounds they come up with). I know he's not allowed to train with the club, but surely there's nothing to stop some behind the scenes shenanigans to help maintain his fitness?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If Brentford/Toney were clever, they'd ensure that he would have what amounts to an isolated pre-season and continue to be as ready as possible for his return (which might be sooner than eight months if they decide to appeal on whatever grounds they come up with). I know he's not allowed to train with the club, but surely there's nothing to stop some behind the scenes shenanigans to help maintain his fitness?
Secret covert training sessions with the staff you mean ? Not sure that'd be a great idea, or very clever. He's already in enough trouble - deliberately breaching the terms of his sentence would surely only result in the punishment being extended.

He's been a silly boy, and will just have to take his medicine. Its only half a season or so.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

The report I read noted he'd be allowed back to train with Brentford from September. Meaning he'd be ready to go as soon as the ban comes to an end.

Edit:

His suspension starts immediately, but the 27-year-old can return to training with Brentford four months before it ends on 17 September.

He will not be allowed to play again until 17 January, 2024.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So his ban starts now, continues during an "off-season" where he wouldn't be playing anyway and he's allowed back into a starting lineup only 4 months into a season.

Let's get ready for the Man City ruling to be a large fine and nothing else...
Man City are going to be banned from competitive football during July for 3 years running, and to compound the punishment further, they're going to be banned from making player transfers from October to December.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Again it has shown what a f*** up the authorities are. Here's someone who has admitted to the offences yet gets banned firstly giving an unfair advantage in the current season to an important final 2 games, but bans someone when there's no games. It's a joke.
I presume they took the close season into consideration when deciding the length of the world-wide ban.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Secret covert training sessions with the staff you mean ? Not sure that'd be a great idea, or very clever. He's already in enough trouble - deliberately breaching the terms of his sentence would surely only result in the punishment being extended.

He's been a silly boy, and will just have to take his medicine. Its only half a season or so.
Easy to do via either Zoom, or by being emailed videos/instructions for a training plan or some other kind of 'remote' fitness. Or getting in a 'personal trainer' who just possibly might have links to the Brentford setup.

No, it's not very clever, but then a lot of footballers – including those who get caught making hundreds of bets on their sport – aren't. :smile:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here