Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ivan toney going to be in trouble - BANNED for 8 months to 17th Jan 2024

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
It won't affect the Tottenham result. I think they're around 5/2 (whoops!) to win there and will do. Spurs are either lucky or shite at the moment.

I saw Brentford on Sunday (without Toney) and they looked good against West Ham. I can see Bryan Mbuemo being moved into a more striking role and scoring far more goals now. He's still only 23. I think he's a fantastic player.

As for Ivan Toney, I thought it was quite lenient with the FA having screwed up the punishment with it running through the summer. Again. When will they ever learn? :facepalm:
I got 3/1 on Brentford in the end.

A great start to the weekend. (y)

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Kind of a bit sickening the headline "Free"

You broke the rules mate, you were hardly punished really, least of all kept under lock and key in prison.....
I find his previous antics and his betting scandal all a bit meh, he is no hero, I would not want him anywhere near our club.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood

You broke the rules mate, you were hardly punished really, least of all kept under lock and key in prison.....
I find his previous antics and his betting scandal all a bit meh, he is no hero, I would not want him anywhere near our club.
Should’ve been banned from all football activities from the from the start of the season. A large chunk of his ban was during the close season and having been able to train he’s ready to play a part the moment his ban finished. Pathetic as usual from the FA.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

Bit harsh imho.

Betting addiction is a serious issue, that destroys lives, families and fortunes.

He didn't rig games, he's not a rapist, he's a self confessed gambling addict with a serious issue, who admitted his crimes, has since sort help for his addiction and has now paid his sanctioned punishments.

Can't question his ability as a footballer, Think he deserves a second chance as do all recovering addicts.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I just hope he is getting help with his gambling addiction - not sure that further punishment would be helpful with that.

I've seen what happens when someone gets addicted to gambling, to them and their family - not very pretty.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Bit harsh imho.

Betting addiction is a serious issue, that destroys lives, families and fortunes.

He didn't rig games, he's not a rapist, he's a self confessed gambling addict with a serious issue, who admitted his crimes, has since sort help for his addiction and has now paid his sanctioned punishments.

Can't question his ability as a footballer, Think he deserves a second chance as do all recovering addicts.
I rather share @Psychobilly freakout attitude to Ivan Toney - but speaking personally, it doesn't stem from what he was found guilty of, nor from the punishment served to him, but more from what seems to be an incredible LACK OF REMORSE, or ACCEPTANCE that what he did was wrong and rightly punished. He seems to believe, actively encouraged by a fawning media, that he has been persecuted.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Should’ve been banned from all football activities from the from the start of the season. A large chunk of his ban was during the close season and having been able to train he’s ready to play a part the moment his ban finished. Pathetic as usual from the FA.
But then he wouldn’t have been ready to play for England at the Euros.

Whoops, did I say that out loud?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Bit harsh imho.

I'll call him out on this. He was interviewed on Sky Sports. He stated his addiction was different to many and was dismissive. A sceptic like me called it bullshit, he was no more addicted than a normal person. It was the hope he would get off lightly. Which he did.

f*** him

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
‘Addiction’ eh, get out of jail card. Highly suspicious. Being addicted to gambling is an illness and people affected need help. But he wasn’t betting on the horses or fruit machines was he; no he was betting on football, and worse games that he actually played in, cheating, breaking the rules. He could have literally bet on anything else, but he didn’t………

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Was he gambling before he started playing football?
I'm pretty sure anyone starting out in the professional game would have been told the rules and regulations regarding this issue. To break these rules and get away with a slap on the wrist is a bit of a joke really

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
‘Addiction’ eh, get out of jail card. Highly suspicious. Being addicted to gambling is an illness and people affected need help. But he wasn’t betting on the horses or fruit machines was he; no he was betting on football, and worse games that he actually played in, cheating, breaking the rules. He could have literally bet on anything else, but he didn’t………
And we know he wasn't betting in other areas - how?

A psychiatrist who interviewed him for the independent commission that set the punishment concluded he was an addict.

What reason did he have to bet? Surely not because he needed the money - addiction seems the obvious answer. He certainly wouldn't be the first footballer to suffer like this.

Difficult to get away from gambling temptations when you have adverts for it all around you.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I rather share @Psychobilly freakout attitude to Ivan Toney - but speaking personally, it doesn't stem from what he was found guilty of, nor from the punishment served to him, but more from what seems to be an incredible LACK OF REMORSE, or ACCEPTANCE that what he did was wrong and rightly punished. He seems to believe, actively encouraged by a fawning media, that he has been persecuted.
I agree.

I fully accept that some people do get addicted and spiral into an utter pit of misery, and if that's the case for Toney, then I wish him well and I hope he beats it. We've all seen examples of players who have lost everything to gambling addictions, and they and (no doubt) their families have suffered badly as a result.

But equally, if....IF!... you were an extremely highly paid footballer who just happened to like betting, who was facing a severe punishment after getting busted, and your lawyer told you you'd get off more lightly if you confessed to the misconduct panel that you're a gambling addict and are urgently seeking help...well, you would, wouldn't you? Same goes for Tonali.

Maybe I'm being unfair, but Toney has hardly seemed to be taking this one on the chin and thanking his lucky stars for the renewed opportunity so far. In fact, he's already hawking himself to Arsenal.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
I agree.

I fully accept that some people do get addicted and spiral into an utter pit of misery, and if that's the case for Toney, then I wish him well and I hope he beats it. We've all seen examples of players who have lost everything to gambling addictions, and they and (no doubt) their families have suffered badly as a result.

But equally, if....IF!... you were an extremely highly paid footballer who just happened to like betting, who was facing a severe punishment after getting busted, and your lawyer told you you'd get off more lightly if you confessed to the misconduct panel that you're a gambling addict and are urgently seeking help...well, you would, wouldn't you? Same goes for Tonali.

Maybe I'm being unfair, but Toney has hardly seemed to be taking this one on the chin and thanking his lucky stars for the renewed opportunity so far. In fact, he's already hawking himself to Arsenal.
All these Tony's that have been involved in gambling of some sort. Toney, Tonali, Tony Bloom...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Bit harsh imho.

Came across well in the interview. Has the massive confidence (ego) and lack of introspection when it comes to setbacks (he's a psychopath) that means he won't spend his time weeping and begging for forgiveness, going forward. He will simply go forward. Hopefully will do well for England, and will be annoyingly entertaining for Spuds or the Arse (it will be Chelsea though, sadly. Innit).

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Bit harsh imho.

Funny how he was an addict when caught and questioned on it.

Of course he deserves a second chance, but I see hes put out a come and get me plea to Arsenal/Chelsea

He is a complete Tit

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Came across well in the interview. Has the massive confidence (ego) and lack of introspection when it comes to setbacks (he's a psychopath) that means he won't spend his time weeping and begging for forgiveness, going forward. He will simply go forward. Hopefully will do well for England, and will be annoyingly entertaining for Spuds or the Arse (it will be Chelsea though, sadly. Innit).
I hope Spurs go nowhere near him.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I agree.

I normally agree with you but.....that's a rather partial perspective*.

I watched the whole interview. He DID say he has taken it on the chin. And he dealt with the leading Qs about transfers honestly. He wants to play at the highest level and at some point that will probably not be at Brentford. Sad for Bees fans but it will be what it will be. More than half** our players if asked the same Q would say the same thing.

He has done his time and if the time was too lenient that's hardly his fault.

I would certainly trust him neither with my wallet nor my wife, but he's a footballer, not a politician, and unlike Johnson, when he contributes to a result it isn't at the expense of, well, everyone and everything else.

*I originally wrote 'bollocks' but considered that a rather harsh condemnation of an opinion.

**90%, to be fair

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Funny how he was an addict when caught and questioned on it.

Of course he deserves a second chance, but I see hes put out a come and get me plea to Arsenal/Chelsea

He is a complete Tit
I apologize to you (and @edna krabappel) for missing this 'come and get me' plea. Can you post a link? I'd like to consider the statement in detail so I can judge how loud to boo him when we next play against him.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I apologize to you (and @edna krabappel) for missing this 'come and get me' plea. Can you post a link? I'd like to consider the statement in detail so I can judge how loud to boo him when we next play against him.

The context of Brentford backing and paying him for 8 months, his first interview after being able to play (may have missed an earlier one) talking about potentially moving this window.

Id be fummmmmmmmmmmming if I was a Brentford fan (do Brentford fans fume? they seem the clam type)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here