Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ITV Daybreak do you deliberately wind up the working people in this country?

Fair. But what about bushy's point, above?

The point is answered by the fact that we have cancelled the aid! But overall the point I'm making is that there is a lot that goes on that is never made public. As you rightly point out we sell a lot of arms to a lot of tin pot states and this greatly exceeds the aid budget.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I think you lost everyone with your first sentence there sorry. If you are expecting balanced, intelligent social and political comment from This Morning then I don't think your opinions are going to carry much weight here.

Certainly don't expect it. But as this is a thread discussing the merits of stories on Daybreak, not sure that mentioning This Morning as another regular offender is THAT surprising a twist.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Agreed. If I find out that one of these benefits claimants has a Kindle Paperwhite whilst I'm struggling by with an older model, I'll be positively fuming.
Will you demanding MORE benefits for these poor people if it transpires they are having to make do with some sort of Android alternative?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Will you demanding MORE benefits for these poor people if it transpires they are having to make do with some sort of Android alternative?
Have they not suffered enough.

Certainly don't expect it. But as this is a thread discussing the merits of stories on Daybreak, not sure that mentioning This Morning as another regular offender is THAT surprising a twist.

You seemed surprised about this fact, which is what I commented on.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Yes, that's exactly what we're saying. Nor should they eat sweets, drink alcohol or smoke; in fact all their money should be spent on uplifting literature, clothing and fresh food - which being unemployed they'll have time to cook properly.

Give them a spade and they can grow their own Veg too!

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
This Morning is just as bad. Currently some woman from the radio (sat next to Gordon Smart of The Sun) moaning about the fact the death of the guy from Glee has been described as a tragedy when, in her opinion, it isn't because he took drugs.

Then talking about how parents at her child's school get together and organise some nice vouchers as an end of term present rather than each getting a box of chocolates.

Surely this is enough to make the "scroungers" want to get a job.

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
Keep on finding poor people for us to hate. Deflects nicely from the bigger issues.

This. It's estimated 16 billion goes unclaimed in benefits every year. - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...n-worth-of-benefits-unclaimed-every-year.html

8 companies (including Google and Amazon) avoided around 5.5 billion in tax last year alone.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/tax-avoidance-big-global-firms-1897775

Still, carry on hating on the poor some of you....

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I remember Ian Hart giving us a story about carpets. An elderly woman, a single mother and an asylum seeker and who was able to afford the new carpet. Tabloidesque stories from different outlets.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
I don't think it's the big tele that p*sses people off

more like the full sky package

Tight shorts

Dec 29, 2004
Sussex
Haven't seen this in the media but surprised no one seems concerned that there are 7 people living in a one bed flat. Housing is a basic need and the circumstances of their parents is not the fault of the children. If we want the children to grow up to become citizens who contribute to society then they need adequate housing.

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
This. It's estimated 16 billion goes unclaimed in benefits every year. - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...n-worth-of-benefits-unclaimed-every-year.html

8 companies (including Google and Amazon) avoided around 5.5 billion in tax last year alone.

I have enough hate capacity to go around. I can hate Amazon and Google AND this Super Fertile woman who's husband has never heard of condoms, vasectomies, or pulling out and going on her t*ts at the crucial moment.

What you say is absolutely correct. HOWEVER... the chavs add nothing to society whereas the 8 companies underpaying tax provide employment and services that consumers find valuable. If the chavs are shipped off to foreign climes I would suggest the net benefit to society in the UK is positive. If the 8 companies are expelled very much the opposite.

I support making them pay their tax obligations but the government is where you should direct your anger, they are allowing this to be legal and legitimate. Private firms have a moral obligation, but first and foremost they must obey the law.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
a few more kids should cheer her up???

Only if they come armed with Child Benefit. :smile: I still don't understand why this benefit isn't limited to 3 children max. It would be easy to administer and there would be no need to means test the change although such a policy wouldn't win many votes at the next election. The number of people from middle class families who constantly boast to me about how they use their Child Benefit to fund family holidays and other luxuries makes me as mad as hell. In a time of austerity, welfare benefits should be targeted at the genuinely needy.

D

Deleted member 22389

Haven't seen this in the media but surprised no one seems concerned that there are 7 people living in a one bed flat. Housing is a basic need and the circumstances of their parents is not the fault of the children. If we want the children to grow up to become citizens who contribute to society then they need adequate housing.

I agree it is not the fault of the children, and I agree 7 people living in a one bed flat is unacceptable in this day and age. I didn't see the interview this morning, so I don't really know their full circumstances, but why did they have five children if they don't have any money? Is it possible they knew that our benefits would look after them, and they know how the system works. You can't help but jump to conclusions.

My sister in law is being made redundant from her job. She has paid in to the system for 20 years, since leaving school. Her husband also works, but she would never be able to claim the same amount of money as these people can. The system has gone wrong.

Sam-

Feb 20, 2012
To be honest, this appears to be just another thing to complain about. It's impossible to get a benefits scheme to please everyone. It's impossible to send aid to everyone.

This does not mean the system doesn't need scrutiny etc. But people should learn to have some tolerances.
It's impossible to have a benefits system which only helps those who deserve it and gives exactly the right amount.
Babies and bath water.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I remember Ian Hart giving us a story about carpets. An elderly woman, a single mother and an asylum seeker and who was able to afford the new carpet. Tabloidesque stories from different outlets.

Ah yes. I remember this. And when the carpet fitters "facts" were scrutinised didn't it transpire the carpet fitter was talking total bollocks?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here