Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ITV Daybreak do you deliberately wind up the working people in this country?

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
I think it's actually nearer the 2% mark. Tax evasion is something that's much higher up the scale. The bulk of benefit is housing as well. We'd be much better tackling the lack of housing issue which would force down the price and consequently the amount spent on benefit. But it is easier to do what Daybreak do and give primetime to a real-life couple and portray it as rife.
Good point....but how are they going to solve the housing issue if thousands of immigrants are pouring into the country at a faster rate than houses can be built...more cars....more congestion.....

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Good point....but how are they going to solve the housing issue if thousands of immigrants are pouring into the country at a faster rate than houses can be built...more cars....more congestion.....

Build 'igloos' out of discarded large screen TVs?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The aid budget is largely a political tool used to grease defence deals and trade agreements. As such it probably creates more national wealth overall than it costs.
You'd hope this was true, given the amount we give to India, one of the fastest growing and biggest economies in the world, and home to 190,000 millionaires.

You'd hope this was true, given the amount we give to India, one of the fastest growing and biggest economies in the world, and home to 190,000 millionaires.

Aid to India finishes in 2015 and was a legacy of British occupation. It is currently something like £250m a year I think. Relative to current and potential international trade that is an irrelevant amount.

D

Deleted member 22389

Watching Route Master last night they said that in another 10 years London would have grown by another million people, these statistics are alarming.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Aid to India finishes in 2015 and was a legacy of British occupation. It is currently something like £250m a year I think. Relative to current and potential international trade that is an irrelevant amount.
Interesting. So where does our current aid spending go, Lokki 7, as I genuinely don't know?

I'm guessing it must go to all manner of corrupt but poor countries being run by billionaires and spending all their country's money on ARMS so that they can shoot their own people.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Interesting. So where does our current aid spending go, Lokki 7, as I genuinely don't know?

I'm guessing it must go to all manner of corrupt but poor countries being run by billionaires and spending all their country's money on ARMS so that they can shoot their own people.

Check the BBC link I posted on page 2.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Watching Route Master last night they said that in another 10 years London would have grown by another million people, these statistics are alarming.

I think they said another million would have moved there. What they didn't say was how many of the existing population would have moved out (or, I suppose, died). I thought that was a slightly misleading statistic. But it's not going to end up with shanty towns on the outskirts, is it?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Check the BBC link I posted on page 2.
Thanks. It appears Lokki 7 is half wrong then, as his £250m figure is right (and so is he right about it ending in 2015) but India is one of the top 6 recipients of aid, so it is clearly not an irrelevant amount.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
The problem is that the only people who get shown on the news are those that are at at the extremes. Having spent a large part of my working life in this area I have numerous stories of people playing the system, getting what they can with no intention of ever working. However these are the minority of the people on benefits. The vast majority of people on benefits want to work, they want to improve their lives and they want what is best for their children.

As an example I have a mate who until recently was working and earning a decent salary. Likewise his wife was also working. His wife change jobs in order to cut down her hours, and have more suitable hours in order to look after their children (the oldest was at school allowing her to work full-time, but they had a new baby so she needed a job that she could fit in around my mates working hours). A few weeks after she had changed jobs, my mate lost his job due to the company he worked for going bust. Initially he was claiming a number of benefits and if you had gone in to his house you would have found all many of high-tech gadgets. All paid for while he was working. He spent awhile looking for another job in the area that he is trained. However after a few months it became apparent that he was going to find it hard to find a job. Instead of giving up he is now working part-time doing a minimum wage job (nothing against minimum wage jobs but given his experience he could have simply said it was below him) whilst also attending college to retrain in a different field. He still claims a number of benefits to supplement the wages he and his wife earn. This is the situation the majority of people on benefits are in. Unfortunately the press and the opposition do not look at this when they are putting forward their "claims". They instead focus on the small number of people who are out to get all they can with as little effort as they can.

D

Deleted member 22389

I think they said another million would have moved there. What they didn't say was how many of the existing population would have moved out (or, I suppose, died). I thought that was a slightly misleading statistic. But it's not going to end up with shanty towns on the outskirts, is it?

Would shanty towns bother you?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Would shanty towns bother you?

I think so, yes. It's hardly the sign of a society that's working if people have to live in home-made shacks on the edge of the city, is it?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I think so, yes. It's hardly the sign of a society that's working if people have to live in home-made shacks on the edge of the city, is it?

There are already large number of people living in poverty in the UK. Might not live in shanty towns, but they are there. Usually being demonised by the media.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
There are already large number of people living in poverty in the UK. Might not live in shanty towns, but they are there. Usually being demonised by the media.

Wait a second, where have I demonised anyone here?? I am well aware of poverty and its resulting social impact. I see as much, if not more, of that than most of you do.

I'm not the one doing the demonising here.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

D

Deleted member 22389

Sussex is a long way from proper shanty towns, however if they don't build more houses and they keep allowing people to migrate, it's possible you might end up in a situation like what happened at hendon football club. That is a sign of not enough jobs, and not enough housing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-23074681

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here