Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] ITV Comentary

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I think it was the best bit about watching the game last night, the partisan commentary from both angles. But a large number of people on here and generally seen to be very much against Welsh or Scottish commentators being too biased but never noticing it in England games

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Although, when not in deranged devotion to his own team, McCoist is a very good analyst.

There do seem to be two Ally McCoists. One who has some very interesting tactical insight (which tbf he did provide on Friday night) and the other who is basically a gobby buffoon on Talk Sport. All I can think is that radio station has a buffoon clause in all its presenter contracts.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I can't stand McCoist's East Kilbride accent.

ITV is unwatchable at the best of times with its tedious adverts and in-programme competitions.

The pits for me though is Jenas who has drifted into some sort of old-school miasma where anything other than a flying lunge with a head butt at the end of it is simply a solid challenge with nothing in it. Makes even Mcmananananamanaman seem insightful and reasonable, to be very honest.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
I didn't mind the coverage at all, and agree that McCoist was good, whereas Dixon seems to struggle to understand what's going on in the game. I'm assuming that there is no longer such a thing as ITV Scotland and, if this is the case, disagree with the OP.

If ITV Scotland doesn't exist then as I said, it should have been an unbiased commentary, it was not, was barely a commentary actually

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
No idea, as always with BBC and ITV I watch games having pressed the mute button, which I find helps my blood pressure from rising and also stops me screaming at the TV due to the inane comments.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
I didn't mind the coverage at all, and agree that McCoist was good, whereas Dixon seems to struggle to understand what's going on in the game. I'm assuming that there is no longer such a thing as ITV Scotland and, if this is the case, disagree with the OP.

It's been renamed as STV, same company though.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It was awful.

Talksport's Matterface is a giggly, waffling ****, the boy who can't quite believe he's got the gig. With faux emphasis on nothing events eg Scotland break, but have 70 yards and eight players to get past.

I turned the volume down to barely audible after 10 minutes.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
The Belgium game the other day was way over the top - I thought the commentator was literally going to cum in his pants !

The Belgians were passing it about and the commentator says “Oh please come on, this is a major tournament you can’t go around doing that”

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Anyone else think the commentary on the England v Scotland game was a complete joke?

Given that it was the National team playing the commentary was basically from the away teams point of view. The main commentator effectively gave the mike to Ally McCoist and it was all from the Scottish perspective.
Given that STV were showing the match with their own commentators who would quite rightly be seeing things from the Scottish perspective, the English broadcast should have been from the English point of view or at the very least neutral.

Even if it was a GB wide broadcast without English/Scottish variations then it should have been balanced

At one point the three commentators were just having a conversation among themselves about previous matches that they had been involved in, players haircuts etc until the supposed main one said "there's a football match going on!"

The standard of commentators across all broadcasters is woeful, but the BBC at least commentate on the actual match most of the time.

I find NBC commentary is the best for Albion games as they are much less Toxic Six cantered and actually know about both teams on the pitch

Now you can see how the other home nations feel when we get the 99.9% English bias and are then surprised when we don’t really want you to win.

FindonFan

Jul 15, 2014
Agree that ITV football commentators and co-commentators are awful. Furthermore I cannot stand ITV’s football presenter Mark Pougatch. That’s him, MARK POUGATCH. Why does he have to SHOUT all of the time. If you turn the sound off the tele it seems as though can still hear him bellowing out his inane rubbish.

stewart_weir

Mar 19, 2017
Anyone else think the commentary on the England v Scotland game was a complete joke?

Given that it was the National team playing the commentary was basically from the away teams point of view. The main commentator effectively gave the mike to Ally McCoist and it was all from the Scottish perspective.
Given that STV were showing the match with their own commentators who would quite rightly be seeing things from the Scottish perspective, the English broadcast should have been from the English point of view or at the very least neutral.

Even if it was a GB wide broadcast without English/Scottish variations then it should have been balanced

At one point the three commentators were just having a conversation among themselves about previous matches that they had been involved in, players haircuts etc until the supposed main one said "there's a football match going on!"

The standard of commentators across all broadcasters is woeful, but the BBC at least commentate on the actual match most of the time.

I find NBC commentary is the best for Albion games as they are much less Toxic Six cantered and actually know about both teams on the pitch

It's all to do with remaining neutral because of their advertisers. STV is actually a franchise of ITV. Because Scotland is part of the 'union' it makes things complicated the same as if the BBC showed the game they too would have been neutral. As of yet there is no 'England centric' TV broadcaster but when that happens it will be because Scotland/Wales/NI are no longer a part of the union.

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
No idea, as always with BBC and ITV I watch games having pressed the mute button, which I find helps my blood pressure from rising and also stops me screaming at the TV due to the inane comments.

I'm the same these days. Most games I enjoy far more if I'm not troubled by the nonsense of the commentary. So I watch with the sound off.
It is fair to say that many matches of this tournament are using commentators in a cupboard in London, rather than in the stadium. It makes it much easier to go off piste and start talking drivel.

I also feel there is very little actual production - meaning a producer guiding the commentators and helping their output. We are watching you know - you don't have to fill every gap with words - we have the radio for that.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I actually quite enjoyed it in as much as it felt a bit like being down the pub with polite rival fans. It was better than what I was watching anyway.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I thought McCoist was good, and fair.

The star for me is Roy Keane, the man talks sense but is permanently on the edge and looking for a verbal scrap with anyone.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
I thought McCoist was good personally. The commentary more generally could have done with paying more attention to what was actually going on in the game they were meant to be talking about, but McCoist was probably less guilty of that than the others.

I quite like having some semblance of balance in the coverage in general, if only because it stops the whole thing getting bogged down in "ENGLAND WERE CRAP/BRILLIANT" nonsense if they occasionally have to actually talk about the other side. And it would be odd for a national broadcaster to give more weight to any one of the home nations when they play each other.

At this point Roy Keane's pretty much the football equivalent of Geoff Boycott in my mind. He's just wheeled on to say "not good enough" and to get the broadcaster a viral video titled "Keane SLAMS someone or other".

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
It's all to do with remaining neutral because of their advertisers. STV is actually a franchise of ITV. Because Scotland is part of the 'union' it makes things complicated the same as if the BBC showed the game they too would have been neutral. As of yet there is no 'England centric' TV broadcaster but when that happens it will be because Scotland/Wales/NI are no longer a part of the union.

If you think that was neutral commentating, you were listening to a different commentary than the rest of us. The BBC would indeed have been neutral, ITV weren't, or weren't when they bothered to actually comment on the game that was being played. If it was a caser of McCoist taking over the commentary (which he effectively did) then the producers should have reigned him in!

I would have had no issue with a neutral commentary, but ITV , BT, Sky are incapable of providing that.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Now you can see how the other home nations feel when we get the 99.9% English bias and are then surprised when we don’t really want you to win.

its 99.9% English bias cause 99.9% of the time the other home nations aren't there!,

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here