Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] ITV Comentary

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I thought McCoist was good, and fair.

The star for me is Roy Keane, the man talks sense but is permanently on the edge and looking for a verbal scrap with anyone.

Putting Patrick Viera next to him was a masterstroke.
Viera has moved on but Keane still holds a grudge you can see it in his eyes, the man is/was a lunatic.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I think the ITV commentary has been pretty good at the Euros. Gary Nev always a great pundit. Ian Wright is a national treasure and always gives good value.

I really like the Keane Viera interactions as mentioned here.

Did note however that Souness and Keane absolutely loved putting the boot in England. Souness was beside himself with glee. Never seen him so happy.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I reckon the tea lady is putting some bromide into some of the drinks. Souness speaks a lot more slowly to me and as for Ashley fukken Cole, he sounds like he's just been cracked round the head with a bit of 4 by 2.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I reckon the tea lady is putting some bromide into some of the drinks. Souness speaks a lot more slowly to me and as for Ashley fukken Cole, he sounds like he's just been cracked round the head with a bit of 4 by 2.

A bit like Prince Harry :lol:

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Whilst compared to the BBC commentary (which itself is a poor shadow of what it used to be) it is still dire in the extreme, and some of the banal comments defy logic, I have noticed that the ITV commentary has started to speak about the actual match a bit more and less about hair cuts and the like.

Its still as though the match is something to comment on when they run out of other things to chat about though.

SAC

May 21, 2014
I've no problem with McCoist, he wasn't there to be impartial but didn't go OTT. I also thought Robbie Savage was pretty fair in the Denmark match.

Although I obviously wouldn't say it to his face, Souness can feck right off.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I don't watch ITV unless there is live football on. Boy, what a pile of shite. It has barely improved since the halcyon days of 'shoot an Argie and win a Metro'.

And people want the BBC 'defunded'? Well, when I say people...... :shrug:.

el punal

I don't watch ITV unless there is live football on. Boy, what a pile of shite. It has barely improved since the halcyon days of 'shoot an Argie and win a Metro'.

And people want the BBC 'defunded'? Well, when I say people...... :shrug:.

During the 1978 World Cup coverage didn’t ITV make all the pundits wear tartan jackets in deference to Scotland as the only home nation competing? :ohmy:

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
"The Czechs are bouncing" :rolleyes:

Matterfarce must've been storing that one up all week.

He will have been planning ways to shoehorn that into his commentary all game.

The one that annoyed me the most was when he said "Meunier used to be a postman so he'll be disappointed with the standard of that delivery". Something that is so interesting about major tournaments is the paths that some take to get there - why was Meunier, a professional footballer, a postman at one point in his life? What happened to go from that point to where he is today? All of that reduced down to a superficial gag about crossing that you've been waiting to crack for the whole game. It reveals what he really thinks of his audience.

Talk about the game or the story around it. Keep your crap standup routine for your private time.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
During the 1978 World Cup coverage didn’t ITV make all the pundits wear tartan jackets in deference to Scotland as the only home nation competing? :ohmy:

Look, I'm probably an archetype of the wet lefty give-quiche-a-chance coningent, but when England are playing and it's being televised on English TV I expect a majority of those in the studio to be English or, failing that, not to have the majority in the studio rooting for the opposition. Do we not have BBC Scotland? Do we not have BBC Wales? As for ITV they can do one. ITV used to be regional; in fact I think we continue to be 'served' by TVS or somesuch, here in Kent. That's English, still, I would imagine. Unless it's been flogged to the Americans, but even so they still have a duty to serve the local people. So there is no excuse for all this delocalised flummery. For the golf, versus the Americans then by all means, have some French, Spanish and Jocks in the studio (we are on the same side in that, I gather). Otherwise, **** off. I don't want to be stuck in the away end when watching England on the telly. There, I said it. And....exhale.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
He will have been planning ways to shoehorn that into his commentary all game.

The one that annoyed me the most was when he said "Meunier used to be a postman so he'll be disappointed with the standard of that delivery". Something that is so interesting about major tournaments is the paths that some take to get there - why was Meunier, a professional footballer, a postman at one point in his life? What happened to go from that point to where he is today? All of that reduced down to a superficial gag about crossing that you've been waiting to crack for the whole game. It reveals what he really thinks of his audience.

Talk about the game or the story around it. Keep your crap standup routine for your private time.

That's the one I was trying to recall, so thanks for posting. Matterface and Dixon were poor, yet I liked the pundits in the studio, and also agree that Savage and McCoist have been good co-commentators during the matches.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Look, I'm probably an archetype of the wet lefty give-quiche-a-chance coningent, but when England are playing and it's being televised on English TV I expect a majority of those in the studio to be English or, failing that, not to have the majority in the studio rooting for the opposition. Do we not have BBC Scotland? Do we not have BBC Wales? As for ITV they can do one. ITV used to be regional; in fact I think we continue to be 'served' by TVS or somesuch, here in Kent. That's English, still, I would imagine. Unless it's been flogged to the Americans, but even so they still have a duty to serve the local people. So there is no excuse for all this delocalised flummery. For the golf, versus the Americans then by all means, have some French, Spanish and Jocks in the studio (we are on the same side in that, I gather). Otherwise, **** off. I don't want to be stuck in the away end when watching England on the telly. There, I said it. And....exhale.

don't forget all the adverts for things you'd never buy.

ITV aint what it was. Southerntv.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here