Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] It's too hot

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I work in a corrugated metal clad roofed factory with glass panels in the roof so I'm basically working in a green house. But the wind has helped keep a breeze coming through using sand bags to keep the fire escape open.

My daughter is still football training until end of June when they close the parks so the grass can recover so I've had a lovely evening sitting in the park with he other dad's having a cold drink in the perfect temperature and loved every minute of it.

The weather in Adastra Park in Hassocks between 17.30 and 19.30 was PERFECT.

If it gets any hotter then I will need to buy more suncream to protect my bonce. Other than that. A perfect Fridat evening.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I had a cousin who was a brickie/house builder, he always hated our summers and working in the heat.

We visited both Great Dixter and Sissinghurst today. The tanned Great Dixter staff seemed to be loving it all, I suppose after 8 months of unusual cold or rain. I think about protection from the rays.
You want to try Hod Carrying in it! Back in the days of mostly ladder work too. I think well over ten years of that in my younger days has set me up to always detest hot weather.

These days I'm faced with the task of keeping plants alive whilst also having a duty of care to those I work alongside. Makes the working day a bit tricky sometimes.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You want to try Hod Carrying in it! Back in the days of mostly ladder work too. I think well over ten years of that in my younger days has set me up to always detest hot weather.

These days I'm faced with the task of keeping plants alive whilst also having a duty of care to those I work alongside. Makes the working day a bit tricky sometimes.

The funny thing is …. I did. We even bought a giant plasterers hod to get more pug up quicker to the top lift. And silly competitions eg who could carry most 9” concrete blocks at once along a dangerous run of scaffold boards. Idiots in our 20’s, not a care in the world for our backs or sun damage.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Sadly, I keep records of weather stuff :lolol: . For us there were just a few sunny days in late April. The unrelenting sun arrived on 13th May.

We used to live in BN41 … you must have a sunnier clime!
Mmm, even just looking back at phone photos through April I can see a lot more sunny days than just at the end! But not especially warm bar over Easter weekend which was great..

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
The funny thing is …. I did. We even bought a giant plasterers hod to get more pug up quicker to the top lift. And silly competitions eg who could carry most 9” concrete blocks at once along a dangerous run of scaffold boards. Idiots in our 20’s, not a care in the world for our backs or sun damage.
Lol...We were on some footings once, laying 13" Celcon blocks. It was muddy and we could barely get pug to the brickies fast enough as wheelbarrows were sliding all over the place. My mate decides to get a plasterers hod in a lightbulb moment. Day one with it and he puts his back out. Off for the rest of the week. That worked out well for the rest of us :facepalm:

We used to see how many 5" Celcons we could stack on a hod and bump out successfully. Happy days in many ways as it was like going to the gym everyday and getting paid for it. I've paid the price for it now though in terms of back issues 😔

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Not warm enough yet. We wait 9 months of the year for decent weather and as soon as it comes people moan about it. FFS

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Lol...We were on some footings once, laying 13" Celcon blocks. It was muddy and we could barely get pug to the brickies fast enough as wheelbarrows were sliding all over the place. My mate decides to get a plasterers hod in a lightbulb moment. Day one with it and he puts his back out. Off for the rest of the week. That worked out well for the rest of us :facepalm:

We used to see how many 5" Celcons we could stack on a hod and bump out successfully. Happy days in many ways as it was like going to the gym everyday and getting paid for it. I've paid the price for it now though in terms of back issues 😔

Other competitions … how many flettons could be held between hands at shoulder height, pull ups on the bottom lift, how many 9” Celcons could be lifted at once? …. a lot towering above the head as they’re fairly light. Everyone bronzed from no sun lotion, in shorts all spring/summer. Boys games.

I’ve seen others with the bad backs. I bailed out after two years, it was a stop gap after uni and other than the banter, I didn’t like it.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Do you remember him? :smile: (Apologies for the link to The Sun)

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Do you remember him? :smile: (Apologies for the link to The Sun)

I read the same article an hour ago, great minds :lolol: .

Yes I do. I worried it’d be a horrible ending, now crippled by arthritis. Far from it, bailing out at 35 to be successful developer. I love stories like that, an entrepreneur who took risk :bowdown:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I read the same article an hour ago, great minds :lolol: .

Yes I do. I worried it’d be a horrible ending, now crippled by arthritis. Far from it, bailing out at 35 to be successful developer. I love stories like that, an entrepreneur who took risk :bowdown:
I sort of remembered a “super hod” story which I thought was about a bricklayer/ hod carrier in the 80s, I searched and found this chap, I wouldn’t have read the news in the early 70s.
Pleased I found this story though , fair play to him.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I sort of remembered a “super hod” story which I thought was about a bricklayer/ hod carrier in the 80s, I searched and found this chap, I wouldn’t have read the news in the early 70s.
Pleased I found this story though , fair play to him.

I worked with older builders in the 80’s who talked about Super Hod. Pre internet and I didn’t buy The Sun, I never looked him up until today.

Quebec Seagull

Vive le football... LIBRE!
Oct 19, 2022
Gatineau, Québec, CANADA
Eastern Canada is 40 degrees C in July and -40 degrees C in January... then factor in the humidity (and wind in winter). The UK is temperate by comparison.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I worked with older builders in the 80’s who talked about Super Hod. Pre internet and I didn’t buy The Sun, I never looked him up until today.
Maybe there was only this chap and he made the news again in the 80s, no one else comes up in the search

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I was at Glyndebourne yesterday and it was absolutely stifling in my dinner jacket. There was actually some bloke in polo shirt and chinos; country's going to the dogs 😀

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here