Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] It's too hot

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
It's warmed up considerably today. Last summer we got an awning/blind on the back of the house, which typically arrived in November . . . .bloody hell its good, something so simple keeps the house so much cooler.

25ish is perfect, we do not need more heat, and I fully sympathise with anyone working outside, the wind as well has made everything so dry.

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
We moan in this country when it’s raining and cold for 9 months of the year and as soon as the weather improves and the sun comes out we moan it’s too hot ! You could never live in California..
California is a different type of heat and the state is actually designed around the heat. Buildings don't trap as much heat, AC is common etc.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
This is nothing. Got to 43 at my Cambodian house last month....utterly savage!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Having recently retired, well almost, wifey and I thought about 3 weeks in a Villa in southern Spain for June. Heck, they've had storms all week and we are BBQing every day in our back garden in Sussex. Saved me 5 grand as well.
Now is the time . . . If you live on the English Riviera why go on holiday!

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
A positively arctic 42C (107F) over here today.

Brrrr....

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
California is a different type of heat and the state is actually designed around the heat. Buildings don't trap as much heat, AC is common etc.
AC is part of the problem IMO . . . Granted its needed in places, at times, but it's used willy nilly everywhere now.
Our office for example, would benefit from some fresh air . . . And given the breeze this week, a few open windows and doors would have been perfect.

but no, some twat decided 16 degrees AC was necessary, I got a bollocking for opening a window . . . Half an our later there are people walking round in COmpany fleeces!

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I remember the hot summers when I lived in New York, even though everywhere was air conditioned they really were quite unpleasant - very high humidity and everywhere stank of dog piss. Throw in the smog / dust issues they have been experiencing recently (and will probably experience again) and the summers in Sussex are very pleasant by comparison

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I remember the hot summers when I lived in New York, even though everywhere was air conditioned they really were quite unpleasant - very high humidity and everywhere stank of dog piss. Throw in the smog / dust issues they have been experiencing recently (and will probably experience again) and the summers in Sussex are very pleasant by comparison
That’s why the locals flock to The Hamptons

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
I'm trying my best not to react to it, but I'm already failing. I work outside all year round and persistent full sun/ hot weather gets me down really quickly, in much the same way some people seem to suffer with the Winter blues, or whatever terminology they have for it.

This wind is just adding insult to injury. Drying everything out like a prune and making gardening ten times harder than it needs to be. It's also exhausting in its relentless nature.

I'll shut up now and try not to be that angry old man shouting at the sky.
The wind is getting really annoying, it seems to have been constant for weeks and weeks. Its reasonably strong, not a gentlre breeze by any means. Cant ever remeber it being this windy for this long. Making my daily bike ride quite hard, as it seems to be a headwind whichever way I go.

The temperature is about right for me, be quite happy if it stays like this, once it gets up in the high 20s and low 30s I really dont like it

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Cant ever remeber it being this windy for this long. Making my daily bike ride quite hard, as it seems to be a headwind whichever way I go.
That happened to me today cycling to David Lloyd at the Marina. Very strong head wind on the way out, then the f***** turned through 180 degrees on the way back !

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The wind is getting really annoying, it seems to have been constant for weeks and weeks. Its reasonably strong, not a gentlre breeze by any means. Cant ever remeber it being this windy for this long. Making my daily bike ride quite hard, as it seems to be a headwind whichever way I go.

The temperature is about right for me, be quite happy if it stays like this, once it gets up in the high 20s and low 30s I really dont like it
There's been a persistent strong north-easterly for several weeks now and, I agree, it's bloody annoying.

I run every day and dealing with the wind is part of living near the coast, but I don't recall it ever being like this. I actually cut a run short about a week ago as I was just fed up with it - I've never done that before!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Feels like the Harmattan has come to these shores. Bloody horrible!

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
There's been a persistent strong north-easterly for several weeks now and, I agree, it's bloody annoying.

I run every day and dealing with the wind is part of living near the coast, but I don't recall it ever being like this. I actually cut a run short about a week ago as I was just fed up with it - I've never done that before!
I cycle 5 times a week, and although Ive kept going, ive reduced the mileage abit.I suppose on the plus side when (IF) it ever stops it will seem very easy to run or cycle

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I've been in shorts and flip flops since I come back from the Caribbean mid April. Bit chilly for first couple of weeks, but since then I've acclimatised.
Wind has been a problem though....put it down to a change of diet???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here