Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

It's Sunday...are you a Spiritualist?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
As a teenager I was heavily involved in Ouija and eventually I stopped it because of the unpleasant consequences. Fast forward a few years and, on this night, I was telling my friends about what went on and, like all good sceptics, they wanted to see for themselves. Lots of jolly laughs.

Stupidly I agreed...just this once...to show them how it worked. That's when it all kicked off. Needless to say they, and I , we're so shaken up that none of us will ever do it again.

Well, you were there, I wasn't but I don't believe in the paranormal so this to me is like someone saying "God has spoken to me". Whatever makes people believe this has occurred prob feels very real to them and that lends it some significance but it doesn't make it true. It's hokum I'm afraid, no matter how "real" it is to you.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
As a teenager I was heavily involved in Ouija and eventually I stopped it because of the unpleasant consequences. Fast forward a few years and, on this night, I was telling my friends about what went on and, like all good sceptics, they wanted to see for themselves. Lots of jolly laughs.

Stupidly I agreed...just this once...to show them how it worked. That's when it all kicked off. Needless to say they, and I , we're so shaken up that none of us will ever do it again.

I remember using a Ouija board with some mates when I was about 12 years old (get off the PlayStation and get on Ouija, I say ) and the glass moved and we screamed and laughed and ran around the room, it was the same with my mate Gary who did blinding ghost stories in the dark with a torch shining up beneath his chin, again we laughed, screamed and ran around the room, it was fun but not supernatural.

Can you tell me what exactly the Ouija board is meant to do and how ?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Ouija boards were just a board game invented by Waddingtons or MB. Nothing spiritual about them, they were hawked to teenagers in order to turn a profit. Just highlights what a load of old Jackson the whole thing is.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Well, you were there, I wasn't but I don't believe in the paranormal so this to me is like someone saying "God has spoken to me". Whatever makes people believe this has occurred prob feels very real to them and that lends it some significance but it doesn't make it true. It's hokum I'm afraid, no matter how "real" it is to you.

I'm not really bothered whether or not you believe me. What I do hope is that someone has read my warning and has decided not to risk it. If they steer clear then I'm happy.

Ultimately all subjective experience is interpreted differently. What marks this out is that there appeared to be an intelligence involved in a series of sinister incidents spread over some years. I'm not sure whether it was "ghosts" or whether it was some other agent but it happened exactly as I describe.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
No, it didn't. Sinister experiences will happen to people in their lifetime. All people, so it's not unusual. One can choose to accept that is life or one can assign it to this kind of bobbins. If it makes you feel better and it gives you an interesting story then great, go for it but it IS bollocks. But i'm unlikeoy to make you see sense so I'll leave it as my opinion.

I think I just heard something in the kitchen...............................

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I'm not really bothered whether or not you believe me. What I do hope is that someone has read my warning and has decided not to risk it. If they steer clear then I'm happy.

Ultimately all subjective experience is interpreted differently. What marks this out is that there appeared to be an intelligence involved in a series of sinister incidents spread over some years. I'm not sure whether it was "ghosts" or whether it was some other agent but it happened exactly as I describe.

If you believe it you believe it, no problems.

I have received perhaps two chain letters in my life, I am always a little surprised that someone (assuming its from someone I know) would go to the bother of sending it to me, I quickly bin it and absolutely do not give it another thought.

Looking back now, I bet I then had normal life experiences, some great, mostly good and very few bad, now what if I was a bit spooked at those chain letters and when exactly did the few bad bits occur in relation to those letters ??

I cannot be bothered to think too much, but if I was a believer I bet I could soon offer my normal experiences as something associated to those chain letters and therefore the paranormal.

Its all total hogwash, although I do talk to my dice and blow on them when playing Monopoly, I mean who doesn't if you need a double 6 ???

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
At boarding school we went through a stage of playing ouija boards after lights out. All good fun, nobody died, nothing sinister happened the worst that occurred was getting sent on an early morning run for being caught up after lights out. So, where we just lucky or can I expect demonic happenings 28 years later???

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
No, it didn't. Sinister experiences will happen to people in their lifetime. All people, so it's not unusual. One can choose to accept that is life or one can assign it to this kind of bobbins. If it makes you feel better and it gives you an interesting story then great, go for it but it IS bollocks. But i'm unlikeoy to make you see sense so I'll leave it as my opinion.

You are trying to convince me that what I experienced is either a false memory or some hysterical over reaction. What if, in fact, I'm right? Would it upset your world? I doubt it. I could sit and sneer at the opinions and experiences of others, that's easy. What is hard to take is someone who wasn't there, has no insight or experience in this field just dismissing it as "hokum"

There ae many people, some of them with impeccable credentials, who have experienced similar events. Are they all mental? Or is there any possibility that they have experienced something as yet not understood by science?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

Maybe your ghoulfriend has arrived.

(I do really want to stop on this thread - I really do )

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
You are trying to convince me that what I experienced is either a false memory or some hysterical over reaction. What if, in fact, I'm right? Would it upset your world? I doubt it. I could sit and sneer at the opinions and experiences of others, that's easy. What is hard to take is someone who wasn't there, has no insight or experience in this field just dismissing it as "hokum"

There ae many people, some of them with impeccable credentials, who have experienced similar events. Are they all mental? Or is there any possibility that they have experienced something as yet not understood by science?

I have reasonable experience in this "field" and my conclusion is it's hokum. I have experienced what some would call a "Succubus" or sleep paralysis which frightened me to death at the time. when i calmed down, I looked up the medical cause of sleep paralysis and although unpleasant, clearly had a reasonable explanation.

I have experienced what I thought at the time was a "ghost" or a presence in a room, it wasn't. It was my imagination but scary at the time. and other bits and bobs. All with reasonable explanations.

One simply cannot go on to experience paranormal activity as a result of playing a board game. Fact.

As an aside it always makes me laugh when people say "Impeccable credentials", usually "he was a doctor, she was a policeman, a scientist etc". The very fact they are claiming to have seen ghosts makes them utterly incredible.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Ouija boards were just a board game invented by Waddingtons or MB. Nothing spiritual about them, they were hawked to teenagers in order to turn a profit. Just highlights what a load of old Jackson the whole thing is.

I was consulted when the game was first created, yes, but my input was in relation to a well-publicised month of my life that involved me being possessed by the monstrous spirit of a local hornet called Floating Pete. His main trick whilst inside me was to convince the most of the township of my power to foresee doom. My predictions were accompanied by his insectual buzz, and that gave an unnerving certainty to the words that spilt from my supposed trance. I could hear Pete guffawing as the latest listener, who'd paid me almost 32 groat, would panic and flee from my tent with a newfound terror of nearing death at the knitting needles of kindly Mary, an innocent old lady who lived in the town centre, known for her perfect manners yet ghastly whistling. Pete then perished, but the spirit of malevolence partly lives on in me, or at least that's what I tell myself on my monthly roast kitten night.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Be careful with these board game thingys. We played one once and we all started seeing these weird snakes everywhere.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
I have reasonable experience in this "field" and my conclusion is it's hokum. I have experienced what some would call a "Succubus" or sleep paralysis which frightened me to death at the time. when i calmed down, I looked up the medical cause of sleep paralysis and although unpleasant, clearly had a reasonable explanation.

I have experienced what I thought at the time was a "ghost" or a presence in a room, it wasn't. It was my imagination but scary at the time. and other bits and bobs. All with reasonable explanations.

One simply cannot go on to experience paranormal activity as a result of playing a board game. Fact.

As an aside it always makes me laugh when people say "Impeccable credentials", usually "he was a doctor, she was a policeman, a scientist etc". The very fact they are claiming to have seen ghosts makes them utterly incredible.

In your opinion. Sleep paralysis is very frightening but is well understood as a phenomenon. Not all who have seen and experienced this sort of thing are mad..

Firm believers, from the top of my head

Sir Hugh Dowding..RAF fighter command supreme, won the Battle of Britain
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle..creator of Sherlock Holmes
Professor Archie Roy. Astronomer General

Frankly, I'd be prepared to listen to any of them more than I would to you.

Just because you don't accept something does not make it impossible.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Humans have always had an obsession with the supernatural. The Ancient Mesopotamians, Egyptians, Greeks, Romans, Mexicas, Mayans with their Gods and myths. Christians, Muslims, Hindus, Sikhs et al with their devils and demons. A whole modern day film and book genre on the subject. There is a relentless fascination for the subject, so if it is all just claptrap, why?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here