Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

It's Sunday...are you a Spiritualist?

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Thanks for that. If you knew me, as many on here do, you'd know I'm not some wild eyed fantasist. The things I experienced happened exactly as I describe. Just because you weren't involved does not make me a liar.

FFS.

I think the personal insults were uncalled for, but rest assured there is nothing "supernatural" going on. Every investigation has shown either deception by the "spiritualist" or a misunderstanding/over-eagerness to believe by the subject.

Sorry if you thought I was insulting but I did not appreciate being told I did not know what I was talking about. I have taught psychology for over 13 years and so I felt I did have some knowledge on the subject.

What these incidents do show us is the power of the human mind. It is interesting for example how many people believe they have seen a loved one within a few days of losing them, thinking rationally that person has not slept, emotions are all over the place, their mind has thought of nothing but that person and the chances of hallucination are very high. I totally agree that many people are convinced they have seen something but logically it shows the power of the troubled or fearful mind.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
Could be.

When I was a kid, during the half term we would spend half term playing in the grounds of a private school where my mother taught. It had a very small church with a graveyard. We were playing among the tombstones one day and all three of us kids heard a loud tapping which appeared to come from one of the graves. We have never been so scared in all our lives and so we never played there or ate our packed lunches near the church ever again.

There might be a rational explanation but we all heard the sound. I do think strange things do happen sometimes that can't be rationalised.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
No I wasn't there but most things can be rationalised.

My mate had a ghost radar app on his phone and I got him to switch it on. A few minutes later it came up with the name Peter. It was my dad's name and he had died in the property about10 years earlier. It shocked me at first but it really concerned my mate, and later I watched him notice the door moving/banging whilst closed, which happens when it is windy, but it sounds like something is trying to open it.

I just rationalised the ghost radar app picking the name at random, and getting it right, was just a coincidence, however it set my mate off in thinking there was a ghost playing with the door as well.

I've thought long and hard about the (many) events that happened around that time, as have the others involved, and I'm still sure that rational explanations just fail to satisfy.

I appreciate that none of it makes any sense to a rationalist. But I'm convinced that something very unpleasant happened to us as a consequence of meddling with something beyond my ken.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Sorry if you thought I was insulting but I did not appreciate being told I did not know what I was talking about. I have taught psychology for over 13 years and so I felt I did have some knowledge on the subject.

What these incidents do show us is the power of the human mind. It is interesting for example how many people believe they have seen a loved one within a few days of losing them, thinking rationally that person has not slept, emotions are all over the place, their mind has thought of nothing but that person and the chances of hallucination are very high. I totally agree that many people are convinced they have seen something but logically it shows the power of the troubled or fearful mind.

I'm sure that,psychologically, it's possible to attribute events we don't yet understand to a simple misinterpretation of simple factors conspiring to convince the gullible that they are experiencing something otherworldly or bizarre.

In reply I suggest that, sometimes,peculiar events unfold which, try as you might, you cannot reduce to some sort of mental abberation. You will have to take my word on this.

If anyone, you or any of the other sceptics, had been there you would know what I now know. Some times things happen which do not conform to rational explanation.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I'm sure that,psychologically, it's possible to attribute events we don't yet understand to a simple misinterpretation of simple factors conspiring to convince the gullible that they are experiencing something otherworldly or bizarre.

In reply I suggest that, sometimes,peculiar events unfold which, try as you might, you cannot reduce to some sort of mental abberation. You will have to take my word on this.

If anyone, you or any of the other sceptics, had been there you would know what I now know. Some times things happen which do not conform to rational explanation.

I suggest you read Derren Brown's first book. As someone who makes a living both re-creating and debunking the paranormal, his book is full of insights into why you categorically believe what you are saying, but why, for a number of reasons, the facts are actually quite different.

I don't wish to insult you and I'm sure the memories you have seem very real, however, the fact is what you recall is not what will have happened (any Police officer who has taken a witness statement will confirm this). When someone in your group said "did you hear that, it sounded like invisible knuckles on the door", then your memory will quite happily accept what was a completely innocent 5 sec rumble of creaky pipe as 15 mins of knuckle wrapping on a door. As you tell and re-tell the story (even just in your own mind), it becomes ingrained in your memory as 15 mins of invisible knuckles on the door and no amount of logical argument will persuade you otherwise. Perfectly normal and not a mental aberration at all, just how the human brain works.

Read his book. I personally don't think there is a better, more accessible book explaining what is going on when something "paranormal" happens.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
I suggest you read Derren Brown's first book. As someone who makes a living both re-creating and debunking the paranormal, his book is full of insights into why you categorically believe what you are saying, but why, for a number of reasons, the facts are actually quite different.

I don't wish to insult you and I'm sure the memories you have seem very real, however, the fact is what you recall is not what will have happened (any Police officer who has taken a witness statement will confirm this). When someone in your group said "did you hear that, it sounded like invisible knuckles on the door", then your memory will quite happily accept what was a completely innocent 5 sec rumble of creaky pipe as 15 mins of knuckle wrapping on a door. As you tell and re-tell the story (even just in your own mind), it becomes ingrained in your memory as 15 mins of invisible knuckles on the door and no amount of logical argument will persuade you otherwise. Perfectly normal and not a mental aberration at all, just how the human brain works.

Read his book. I personally don't think there is a better, more accessible book explaining what is going on when something "paranormal" happens.

I've read it.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I've read it.

Perhaps thats why you are susceptible to even think there is something other than a purely rational reasoning to your experience.

Usually its never done in isolation, by that I mean if you look at their character profile most that feel there is something in these things, accept other similarly unlikely things more readily than most, you know the stuff alternative medicine, religion, prayers, reflexology etc.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
A lot of the time these occurrences are witnessed by people who have both feet firmly planted on the ground and explore every avenue to try and discount the event from being anything else other than unexplained.
I know of several unexplained events, which as far as I am concerned remain unexplained.
I have detailed some of these on other threads over the years.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
A lot of the time these occurrences are witnessed by people who have both feet firmly planted on the ground and explore every avenue to try and discount the event from being anything else other than unexplained.
I know of several unexplained events, which as far as I am concerned remain unexplained.
I have detailed some of these on other threads over the years.

Dare you to tell us about yourself:

Religious.
Pray.
Reflexology.
Mediums.
Homoeopathy.
Holistic.
Superstitions.
Spirits
Other alternative medicines.

Basically are you a hippy .....

I am not saying that those in themselves are some sort of 'walk of shame' or that they should be seen as a negative characteristic, but I am saying that perhaps they allude to an unscientific acceptance of things that otherwise might be dismissed.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Dare you to tell us about yourself:

Religious. Not at all.
Pray. Do me a favour.
Reflexology. Not sure what this has to do with it.
Mediums. Prefer medium rare.
Homoeopathy. I prefer natural remedies, just because they are not chemically produced.
Holistic. I went to meditation classes on 2 x occasions and fell asleep at both.
Superstitions. None at all.
Spirits. Only the alcoholic kind.
Other alternative medicines. I'll try them.

Basically are you a hippy .....I don't think so, or maybe there is a little hippy in all of us.

I am not saying that those in themselves are some sort of 'walk of shame' or that they should be seen as a negative characteristic, but I am saying that perhaps they allude to an unscientific acceptance of things that otherwise might be dismissed.

There, filled in for you.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Last edited:

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Someone better tell the Pope he's got it all wrong :angel:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...ighting-priests-recognised-under-9580727.html

Pope Francis makes exorcisms official Catholic practice as demon-fighting priests recognised under canon law

Disclaimer - For what it's worth I have had no supernatural experiences and think his holiness is a proper twunt.

I'm actually quite shocked to hear this, it’s extremely dangerous, the Pope has basically endorsed the belief in witchcraft and demonisation. We have all heard the horror stories of exorcisms especially from those with African roots.

Morgan Freeman's granddaughter E'Dena Hines 'stabbed to death in exorcism' boyfriend charged http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...anddaughter-stabbed-to-death-in-New-York.html

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Would not go near Spiritulism myself.. I don't believe you can contact the dead but I have heard too many scary stories...

nb .Alternative medicine is not the same at all.It is usually supported by those who have been let down by the NHS

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I'm actually quite shocked to hear this, it’s extremely dangerous, the Pope has basically endorsed the belief in witchcraft and demonisation. We have all heard the horror stories of exorcisms especially from those with African roots.

Morgan Freeman's granddaughter E'Dena Hines 'stabbed to death in exorcism' boyfriend charged http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...anddaughter-stabbed-to-death-in-New-York.html

Why wouldnt the actual religious bit be just as shocking .....

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Went to watch Colin Fry being filmed.
Before you went you met a "researcher" on the Isle of dogs who quizzed you about who you'd lost and who you would like to contact & why...

When we got to the studio some of the audience were called out by name and had make up applied. When we went in to the auditorium these people were already seated in various places, when Colin came out he went, strangely, to these people and gave them messages...it was a total fraud.

That said, as a teenager, I was heavily involved with Ouija boards etc. it was a very frightening time for all involved and came to an epic conclusion which means that I, for one, would never do it again. There are more unpleasant effects there than I ever imagined and, to some extent, I'm still traumatised by my experiences.

Don't get involved in things you don't understand.

Sorry but surely the fact you were gullible enough to go to watch a medium speaks volumes of your gullibility. I'd love to think buried/cremated dead brains can make contact through other peoples brains or a old wooden keyboard but they can't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here